Post 1st Pre season game thoughts

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
The most impressive defender on the field last night was that Melvin Ingram kid out of South Carolina; was hoping to see that level of play from Perry and some of our new guys. Maybe I just missed those parts.

Ingram is a special talent. Doesn't surprise me that he looks better than Perry. There's a reason he was drafted 18th overall and was viewed by many to be the best pass rusher in the draft. Of course, it only helps him when going against the likes of Herb Taylor and Datko. Datko has been pretty consistently bad throughout training camp with the exception of a day or two here and there.

Perry looked good in his own right though, and against an established starter. He likely won't be as good as Ingram, but that doesn't mean he won't be a very effective player for the Packers. He showed a ton of strength and has the speed to back it. He will take time to develop, but he's looking like a good player.

Looks to me like there is still a lot of work to do.

Well, of course there is. It was the first preseason game. In fact, there will be work to do until after the Packer's win the Super Bowl, and then there will be work to do for the next season. The Packer's didn't look great last night, but I think the Bishop injury really took the air out of the team early. They will be better in time.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ugh... Biggest worry for me is Worthy. Though this kid was going to be special and he got stood up on every play 1 on 1. Don't wanna be too harsh, but he looked pretty bad. DJ smith and House looks solid, Perry looks decent, but we really should look for Oline help for our MVP.

L

Lunchboxer

Lets not be too quick to Judge Worthy yet on 1 Pre Season outing.

Give him a few games then we can talk.

TallPackersFan96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw most of the game (Thanks to the first 10 rows of people who refused to sit down). Perry's sack of River's was awesome to see, I see him helping Matthews out a lot putting on the pressure. I did see some good tackling, actually wrapping the ball carrier. After seeing Flynn play on New Years day I have high expectations for a Back Up QB, and Harrell didn't impress me much. They put B.J Coleman in with 2 minutes left to play, I remember remarking 2 plays later they should of put this guy in at the beginning of the 4th quarter. Just reading the observations of others you would think Coleman was a lump of coal, but last night I saw a Diamond shine underneath all that. He had some good passing, and threw some high passes, but the way he handled himself and the way he moved.... made me think I was seeing one of the Greats as a rookie. I will be following his development closely.
Oh yeah the dropped balls and missed catches. Coach McCarthy was very unhappy with both, Rodgers was quoted as saying "We will get a tongue lashing and move on"
One of my favorite moments of the game? When the section next to me started chanting "Holly-wood" and Clay Matthews who was standing next to Rodgers did a over the head muscle pose pointing at Rodgers, looking over his shoulder with a big smile to the crowd. Rodgers noticed what he was doing and did the same over the head pose back at Matthews.

maxlives

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ingram is a special talent. Doesn't surprise me that he looks better than Perry. There's a reason he was drafted 18th overall and was viewed by many to be the best pass rusher in the draft. Of course, it only helps him when going against the likes of Herb Taylor and Datko. Datko has been pretty consistently bad throughout training camp with the exception of a day or two here and there.

Perry looked good in his own right though, and against an established starter. He likely won't be as good as Ingram, but that doesn't mean he won't be a very effective player for the Packers. He showed a ton of strength and has the speed to back it. He will take time to develop, but he's looking like a good player.

Well, of course there is. It was the first preseason game. In fact, there will be work to do until after the Packer's win the Super Bowl, and then there will be work to do for the next season. The Packer's didn't look great last night, but I think the Bishop injury really took the air out of the team early. They willbe better in time.

Yes they will.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree with those who advise caution about making firm conclusions based upon preseason games, particularly the first one. I just re-watched the first half of the game and here are some of my observations: I was very happy to see Perry’s progress – he is very strong and as he gets more experience rushing the passer from OLB I think he’ll be a great compliment to Clay. The LOLB spot should be the stronger OLB as he has to battle TEs more and the ROLB spot should be occupied by the better pass rusher. IMO Matthews will not only be helped by Perry’s presence opposite him and a better push from the DL but also by going back to the ROLB spot. Perry also did OK on a couple of drops into coverage. Davon House impressed the hell out of me! One-on-one coverage and decisive tackling – he looked VERY good to me – really hope the injury isn’t serious. Yes it was just the first preseason game but if he's healthy, he looks like the answer at CB opposite Williams. Although I expected it, Cobb looked like he took a step forward as a receiver. Merling surprised me by getting some push and I wasn’t as disappointed in Worthy’s play as some – he got a push at times and was double-teamed at times. Yes he did get too high at times but that can be fixed and he also got a push. Walden looked pretty good too and I thought Anthony Levine outplayed MD Jennings and McMillian but again it’s the first preseason game. Levine showed some catch-up speed too although the goal of course is not to have to catch up. (Actually on the play I’m talking about, the receiver he caught wasn’t his responsibility.)

On the negative side, Starks needs to get serious about his profession. Physical errors are one thing, but repeated mental errors are inexcusable. Going back to the 2010 season of course he didn’t play until late in that season because of injury but as I remember it his appearance on the field was delayed by a week or so because of his practice habits and/or mental mistakes. I’d caution fellow Packers fans about getting to high on RBs like Tyler. Again, as I remember it on more than one occasion the leading rusher in the preseason didn’t make the team. The signing of Benson makes it less likely a UDFA RB will make the squad. Herb Taylor caused me to flashback to Allen Barbre and that’s not good. He often looked awkward, unbalanced, and confused. Datko positioned himself well on running plays but I didn’t see him drive his man out of a play. And he didn’t look good in pass protection either IMO. Again it’s just the first preseason game and it was Datko’s first pretend NFL game. And Taylor has been out of the league so long it was his first in a long time.

And here’s an entirely premature and unfair observation: BJ Coleman is more talented than Graham Harrell. Of course Harrell is going to be the backup, I’m just saying from the extremely small sample we saw, they need to be careful not to lose Coleman to another team if they plan to get him to the practice squad.

greenbeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ugh... Biggest worry for me is Worthy. Though this kid was going to be special and he got stood up on every play 1 on 1. Don't wanna be too harsh, but he looked pretty bad. DJ smith and House looks solid, Perry looks decent, but we really should look for Oline help for our MVP.

I won't worry about Worthy. I think he just wasn't allowed by the coaches to rush the QB because he has to learn to play the position as a 3-4 linemen (2 gap controll, hold the point ...). When he has learned to do that, i think they will let him loose on obvious passing downs.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are in for a rough preseason. Glad it does not count. You like to think you are finding ways to put players on the field after Week 10 or 11. The season has not begun and we are torn up. The 53 man roster may really become twisted depending on the physical state of the team going into week 1. Benson may find himself having to make his own holes so that ARod does not have to risk running for his life on 3rd down all year.

L

Lunchboxer

Im not worried.

Its pre season.

Remember the Lions they went 4-0 In pre season but went 0-16 in Regular season.

Also I have fath in MM and TT.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
First thought: back up refs SUCK !!! How are you going to flag Perry for doing basically nothing after his first NFL sack? C'mon man!!!
Other thoughts: Thank God we signed an actual running back in Benson because our 2 and 3 yrd runs are not going to cut it.

Our O line needs desperate help

Our secondary needs to mature at a rapid rate or it will be 2011 all over again.

Harrell looked ok at best, he seemed nervous ( rightfuly so ) and he has to learn to step up into the pocket rather than roll out, he aint no #12

We need serious work.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

House looked promising, but in my honest opinion, God help us if Aaron gets injured. I didn`t see anything to promising from the back-ups at all. And our running game ????? Geez

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I don`t know if anybody else watched the 49ers game ??? The fact that all three QB`s are not scared to tuck the ball and run with it scared the crap out of me, given our defence looked a bit shaky at times the other night. That will be a game worth seeing.

From behind a cushion on the sofa !!!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts