Positive read for REAL Packer fans

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well this season is tough and all the threads are trying to figure out what's wrong but there is one positive I take from it. As much as I hate losing I always figure some losing seasons are needed to clear out the Cheesehead imposters. I don't know how things are where you are but here you can always tell who's doing well by the clothes peole wear. In the 90's everyone was a Packer fan even though most couldn't name you 3 players on the team. Now all those fans have vanished and I love that cause they're not wanted. Just today I saw a group of guys all wearing Patriot hats and could see the cycle start all over again.
Also as much as I enjoyed our SB win, I had only been a Pack fan for 7 years and don't think I truly understood the joy. At least not like those fans who backed the team through the 70's and 80's and for that I salute them. I know for a fact when(not if) we win our next title it will mean 10 times more to me cause the highs are always higher when the lows are lower. So if you're a real fan I got no problem being critical as long as you keep backing the team cause when we become great again it will be the fans who suffer now that will be the ones who truly enjoy our next high :D

C-Mize

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great post. I would enjoy 100x more if Brett Favre was there to win it for us, he will be greatly missed. Super Bowl or Bust....my ***. I really wanted Brett to get that 2nd ring, but realistically speaking I dont see much of a shot at us getting close to a SB in the next 2 years or so. Anyways, the next title will be glorious and I will be there just like I have been for the past 10 years.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahaug82 said:
Great post, thanks for that Cdnfavrefan. :wink:

I second what they said. Great post.

I've been a Packer fan through the 70s and 80s, and what I'm seeing is a bunch of poseur fans on this site. They whine like crazy. Some of the biggest crybabies I've seen in my life.

My God, I posted a defense of Favre post and immediately, everyone tried to cut him down. What a bunch of losers.

Favre is the reason we're not 0-4. he's still got it, but he has nobody around him. The D is now the worst in the NFL. Worst. How much can an offense do when the defense is that bad, and 3 of your starting OL are rookies or 2nd year players, your starting #2 receiver is a rookie, your #1 RB is out due to injury, your TE is over the hill, and your FB just recently got signed?

Favre's not the reason we're bad. Sure he's not as good as he was in '97, but he's still in the top 10 QBs in the NFL today.

Mark my words. In today's free agency, watch what happens in five years when Peyton Manning has no OL in front of him, Harrison is retired, and he has some nobodies for RBs. Poseur Colt fans will be calling for his head, even though he'll probably still have it, but they won't be able to see it. Some of you people who call yourselves Packer fans should be ashamed of yourselves.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I was only 9 when the Pack won the SB. When they win and lose now, it means so much more since I'm older. I'm just glad I get to see Brett play (Twice in person!). Kind of the Chicago Bulls. I always thought the Pack and Bulls would never lose because of Brett and MJ.

BairesPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
ahaug82 said:
Great post, thanks for that Cdnfavrefan. :wink:

I second what they said. Great post.

I've been a Packer fan through the 70s and 80s, and what I'm seeing is a bunch of poseur fans on this site. They whine like crazy. Some of the biggest crybabies I've seen in my life.

My God, I posted a defense of Favre post and immediately, everyone tried to cut him down. What a bunch of losers.

Favre is the reason we're not 0-4. he's still got it, but he has nobody around him. The D is now the worst in the NFL. Worst. How much can an offense do when the defense is that bad, and 3 of your starting OL are rookies or 2nd year players, your starting #2 receiver is a rookie, your #1 RB is out due to injury, your TE is over the hill, and your FB just recently got signed?

Favre's not the reason we're bad. Sure he's not as good as he was in '97, but he's still in the top 10 QBs in the NFL today.

Mark my words. In today's free agency, watch what happens in five years when Peyton Manning has no OL in front of him, Harrison is retired, and he has some nobodies for RBs. Poseur Colt fans will be calling for his head, even though he'll probably still have it, but they won't be able to see it. Some of you people who call yourselves Packer fans should be ashamed of yourselves.

Well said. But IMO he (#4) should give a chance to Rodgers to play more series, teach the kid to play the game (with balls and passion not only by the book)...of course if MM thinks that AR is going to be the Qb of the future for the Packers, which doesnt appear to be the coach plan for the team.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been through the lows of the two mostly very losng periods in Packer history, 1948-1958 and also 1968-1991. The present generation of Packer fans has had 13 years of non losing season from 1992 through 1994 which was 2nd longest streak of non losing seasons since "Curly" Lambeau was head coach in the '30s. That winning streak was 14 years!!

After Every period of having a great teams , there is usually a period of having losing teams. After the great years of Glory years Packers under Lombardi from 1959-1967 which like some Packer fans of today, many Packer thought the Packers would win for ever. I, being one of these fans . It ended up that good Packer fans had endure the mostly losing period from 1968-1991 but were rewarded with the 1992 -2004 era.

In the early days there was only the NFL draft to cause the decline of great winning Teams in NFL . Now since 1993 there is era of competitive balance , which includes Salary Cap and free agency. NFL teams can know longer keep all their key players, but try to keep their core players. That is why there is a lot of change from year to year in players on the roster of NFL teams. And your core players finally retire. It is usually real difficult to replace these core players.

Believe me younger Packer fans, you are just going to have to deal with these losing teams until the Packer franchise can "reload". How long will this take ? I don't know, hopefully it will be short. With Free agency and salary cap, it can occur in a short period of time. Another benefit of Salary cap and free agency it helps the small market teams to compete and remain in the NFL and Green Bay is the smallest market team in the NFL.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
VERY well said, PWT & Cdn!! 2 different perspectives reaching the same conclusion - i love that!

i believe i was fortunate to have been a fan during the 70's & 80's because i got to see what it was like to lose over & over again and thusly, the joy we had when we actually got a win was beyond measure!

i still remember thinking majik was the key to our success & watching him get hurt. i thought "oh no - it's over now!" then on walked the field this young punk - brett somebody. i remember rolling my eyes & saying "this is NOT gonna be good"!!! and the glory years began.

it's inevitable that the era is coming to an end. it's time for us to put on our thick skins & live through a few losing seasons - that's what real fans do.

ChrisC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PWT36 said:
I have been through the lows of the two mostly very losng periods in Packer history, 1948-1958 and also 1968-1991. The present generation of Packer fans has had 13 years of non losing season from 1992 through 1994 which was 2nd longest streak of non losing seasons since "Curly" Lambeau was head coach in the '30s. That winning streak was 14 years!! ...

Believe me younger Packer fans, you are just going to have to deal with these losing teams until the Packer franchise can "reload". How long will this take ? I don't know, hopefully it will be short. With Free agency and salary cap, it can occur in a short period of time. Another benefit of Salary cap and free agency it helps the small market teams to compete and remain in the NFL and Green Bay is the smallest market team in the NFL.

Good sense, as always PWT! And a great thread Cdn!

When I first started watching the Pack in '83, they were mediocre, and then got worse! A bit of perspective is very welcome in the present circumstances!

Thanks guys!

Chris

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GREAT thread Cdnfavrefan!!!!!!!!!! We have to stand behind our team good or bad..

I remember us winning the SuperBowl and the parade in Green Bay that was on TV, I was still living in WI at the time, just wished I could have been in Green Bay to celebrate with everyone...We will get to the SB again we just have to be patient and I hope it is with Brett leading, then all the people that are so against him that want him to retire wouldnt say the bad things they are saying about him...

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry Canadian.

I just don't buy that "long suffering" Packer fan bit to weed out the bandwagon fans.

I believe that if you have a player of Favre's caliber on the team, you try to build around him and win NOW!

What's the friggin' hurry. When Favre retires, then you can tear it down and start all over. It's not like anyone would blame TT for trying to win championships with Brett Favre on his team. I mean, what are we talking 1 or 2 more years, at the most.

At least you go down swinging.

This is just a mess right now.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
majikman said:
Sorry Canadian.

I just don't buy that "long suffering" Packer fan bit to weed out the bandwagon fans.

I believe that if you have a player of Favre's caliber on the team, you try to build around him and win NOW!

What's the friggin' hurry. When Favre retires, then you can tear it down and start all over. It's not like anyone would blame TT for trying to win championships with Brett Favre on his team. I mean, what are we talking 1 or 2 more years, at the most.

IMO SO TRUE!!! I to cannot believe they are rebuilding now..

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
majikman said:
Sorry Canadian.

There's a problem with "going down swinging". When you do, you stay down for a long time. The Titans have been living that nightmare for a few years already, and they don't look like they'll be waking up anytime soon. And we were quite close to seeing it.

Mike Sherman kept this team at the gates of cap hell while he overpaid for veterans to give Brett one more shot. Now the veterans are gone and (surprise!) there was no depth behind them. TT is clearing house and building a team capable of winning again.

I know it's painful to watch a proud franchise struggle, but we'll be good again. Don't give up.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know what you're saying, but I don't agree.

The popular wisdom it seems is to blame MS for not providing depth, being a bad GM, etc..etc.., but there were moves that TT could have made to remain competitive with Brett Favre at the helm, WHILE rebuilding other aspects of the team. For instance, building the offensive line and WR's, and some defensive positions through FA, and the rest of the team, through the draft!

Instead, TT tore down the whole infrastructure, and is trying to build from the ground up.

This was the wrong approach, imo.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
majikman said:

The popular wisdom it seems is to blame MS for not providing depth, being a bad GM, etc..etc.., but there were moves that TT could have made to remain competitive with Brett Favre at the helm, WHILE rebuilding other aspects of the team. For instance, building the offensive line and WR's, and some defensive positions through FA, and the rest of the team, through the draft!

Instead, TT tore down the whole infrastructure, and is trying to build from the ground up.

BlueMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched Favre play his first college game at Southern Miss, and immediately became a lifelong Pack fan when he landed in GB.

Although it's going to cost me a small fortune, I'm making the trip to the GB / Arizona game later this month. I realize there is a great chance that we'll lose this one, but it'll be worth the trip to see Brett play in person again and to simply experience a game at Lambeau.

More than likely there will be more losing seasons after this one. But GB has something truly special as an organization and it's worth sticking with the Cheese through the tough times. And believe me, Monday night was one of those tough times.

TM

On another note, any ideas for hotels in/near GB for a Saturday night? Seems there all sold out already;).

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BlueMoose said:
I watched Favre play his first college game at Southern Miss, and immediately became a lifelong Pack fan when he landed in GB.

Although it's going to cost me a small fortune, I'm making the trip to the GB / Arizona game later this month. I realize there is a great chance that we'll lose this one, but it'll be worth the trip to see Brett play in person again and to simply experience a game at Lambeau.

More than likely there will be more losing seasons after this one. But GB has something truly special as an organization and it's worth sticking with the Cheese through the tough times. And believe me, Monday night was one of those tough times.

TM

On another note, any ideas for hotels in/near GB for a Saturday night? Seems there all sold out already;).

That should be a good game to go to. We have a pretty good chance of winning that game because Arizona stinks. They got a pretty fair amount of hype this year, but they suck.

I recommend staying at the Green Bay Suites (something like that). I stayed there during training camp and it was pretty good. Don't let the word "Suites" scare you away because it's just like any other hotel I've ever stayed in before. The rooms were pretty cheap, despite the name.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PWT36 said:
I have been through the lows of the two mostly very losng periods in Packer history, 1948-1958 and also 1968-1991. The present generation of Packer fans has had 13 years of non losing season from 1992 through 1994 which was 2nd longest streak of non losing seasons since "Curly" Lambeau was head coach in the '30s. That winning streak was 14 years!!

After Every period of having a great teams , there is usually a period of having losing teams. After the great years of Glory years Packers under Lombardi from 1959-1967 which like some Packer fans of today, many Packer thought the Packers would win for ever. I, being one of these fans . It ended up that good Packer fans had endure the mostly losing period from 1968-1991 but were rewarded with the 1992 -2004 era.

In the early days there was only the NFL draft to cause the decline of great winning Teams in NFL . Now since 1993 there is era of competitive balance , which includes Salary Cap and free agency. NFL teams can know longer keep all their key players, but try to keep their core players. That is why there is a lot of change from year to year in players on the roster of NFL teams. And your core players finally retire. It is usually real difficult to replace these core players.

That was good post. it is true, we have been spoiled by winning seasons. there are going to be some good times and some bad times as well.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
majikman said:

There would only be two ways to go that makes sense and to "remain competitive" is not one of them.

1) Go for it all with Brett at the helm (high risk measure with long term ramifications).
2) Go back to Ron W's method of building thru the draft.

First of all there was not much of anything that could be done on either front in '05.

Wahle and Rivera had to be dealt with and the best that could have been done is retain Wahle. This would have probably required letting a quality player go. but let's say we got this done.

'05 would still have been bad due to all the injuries. Playoff teams usually catch a break with injuries. We caught no breaks last year.

going into '06 was a different story. We had more money. But how did we get there? By letting Wahle, Rivera, Flanny, Roman, Digg's, Lenon,etc, go.

You use the example of building the "0" line, WR, and some defensive positions thru FA. O.K. but first you have to deal with Kampman and Green and Grady. Do we bring them back or go after better, more costly guys.

Now in order to build a SB contender we need another guard, probably someone better than A. Green at RB, two linebackers, a CB, a Safety, and more than likely a jam up pass rusher that all SB teams seem to have.

Remember, we got the money we have to work with by letting these other guys go or, in the case of Rivera, simply didn't have the cash to keep him.

We still need to fix the ST problems and turn that from a liability into an asset. SB have both outstanding Special Teams and quality depth which I haven't even gotten to yet.

Also recall, and this is important, that these moves all would have had to be made PRIOR to knowing what Brett was going to do. This course of building a SB contender would have had to start long before he gave an answer.

Could we have gotten done what is necessary to give Brett a SB run? I don't think so. Four really good FA's in key spots would have been the start but the money would have been pretty much gone and we were too many players short and no depth to give us that shot.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ha.

Ron Wolf was a big player in signing veterans in FA.

Just go back and look at the 96' team if you don't believe me, Warhawk.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
majikman said:
Ha.

Did you even read his post? :roll:

OP
OP
C

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
majikman said:
Sorry Canadian.

Majik that's wasn;t what I was saying. I'm one of the ones who are all for trying to make a run for Favre cause winning it with another QB won't be the same, but things are what they are and in that case I'm pulling out the positives from it

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahaug82 said:
majikman said:
Ha.

Did you even read his post? :roll:

no he didnt... just give up, TT, MM and the packers suck... there is no convincing them otherwise. but keep up the good stuff Warhawk.... maybe if you keep pounding it will sink in. Sorry...back to being positive...

Its great to have some room on the bandwagon for once. and like cdn said... kinda..... THE SWEET AINT AS SWEET, WITHOUT THE BITTER BABY

Members online