POP A CAP ON ROGERS

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rogers drop from top 5 or 10 cost him more like 20 million over course of contract and SB. We can survive a holdout better than Rogers can force capitulation. The 1st rounder is always the last to sign.

Of the 3.5 million in cap money 1.5 million or even more is needed for a signing bonus over 5 years for Rogers. The seconds take half a million. 5ths and below may take half a million total of this years cap(2.5 total). I do not see a cap problem unless Hunt is cut.

Are these 11 drafted guys better than 11 on the 53 person roster last year. No. We will keep more DB's and WR's than last year. I think the OL and DL will each have at least one less spot. Practice squad will be interesting as Leach, Mc Brien and Williams(RB) will be wanted there already.

Bedell, Morely, Curtain, Cole, True Luck, Franz and Chatman are on the bubble. Cutting cummulatively has a small effect on the cap.

A renegotiated Hunt deal would be in both parties interest as he could get cut and lose everything and the Packers could take a cap hit. That is a delicate negotiation that may get done prior to Rogers signing.

I have numbers from a couple of sites in disagreement but my guess if Hunt is cut will cost a million in cap this year and 1.5 million next year.
We may still make it but we cannot advance much on next years contracts this year.

We might need help from KGB or Clifton by guaranteeing some of the 06 money. Clifton's agent is a jerk so that may not happen. I do not see much dead cap on the horizon after Hunt except perhaps Al Harris or Carroll but 07 at the earliest. I think Clifton and KGB will not get cut before 08.

I don't know what Brett renegotiated but we were past the break even point on his contract before his revised deal and heaven forbid he gives up before he finishes his contract in 07. But if so we gain a lot of cap space.

Clifton has over 6.5 in signing bonus left going down at 1.3/year against the cap. KGB 5.5 in signing bonus to pro-rate over 5 years(1.1/year)

Maybe you don't care but I like to keep looking forward.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol @ the title of this thread.

i wish i could keep all these figures in my head...but after about 2 minutes it goes bye bye. Ted seems to be a helluva money manager though, so it's not that i don't care, i'm just not overly worried if that makes sense.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I must have really sensative eyes, that bold text jus kills me and I cant read it. But popping a cap is not nice :)

OP
OP
C

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought bold made it easier to read.

Bit of a ramble but if you know your cap you know your team.
Hey that could be a signatue "know your cap know your team"

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
I thought bold made it easier to read.

Bit of a ramble but if you know your cap you know your team.
Hey that could be a signatue "know your cap know your team"

Its just me man, I have really sensative eyes to bright things.

I agree with your comment as well :)

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Packers being this hand tied with cap issues we could be seeing some dead wood hitting the floor. [aka Hunt] As we watch these higher draft choices being signed... we mite be able to pickup other teams cuts at a song and help our defense for the short term.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
If Hunt was a team player in any sense he'd have asked for a paycut to help the team. Players are soo quick to hurt the team for more money, but once they get overpaid they don't say ziltch. Thats part of human nature I dislike.

ravage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After taking a look at Hunt's contract and base salaries for the next few seasons this is about what the Pack would take for hits on the salary cap.

First the contract.
Hunt's contract was said to be 6 years for $25 mil.
His total for base salary for the 6 years is $14.1 mil.
That leaves $10.9 mil in bonuses. Counting this year's which will count against the cap either way.
Assuming that all of it was signing bonus, I can't be sure that some isn't roster bonus somewhere down the line. That means the signing bonus counts a little more than $1.8 mil a year against the cap.
With 4 years left on the contract $7.2 mil of the bonus is yet unpaid, including this year.
2005 base salary=$1.25 mil.

So what does this mean?
If we cut Hunt before June 1st he would cost us $2.35 mil more than he is now against the cap. A total of $5.4 mil.

If we cut Hunt after June 1st he would save us $350,000 against this year's cap. And cost us $2.7 mil next year against the cap.

Looking at it that way he won't be cut before June 1st. It's possible he could be cut after June 1st. He would save an extra $350,000 against the cap this year plus the $2.7 mil cap hit next year.

So it's possible he gets cut but not before June 1st and we would take a cap hit next year.

Members online

Latest posts