PLAYOFFS..For all of the fans wanting Washington....

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this team can and will beat washington. it's not a guarantee by any means and it will probably be pretty scrappy but I think we can pull it off.

What have you seen that would make you think this? I don't think GB could beat JAX right now, let alone Washington...

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking at the Redskins rankings, they are about middle of the road in both offense and defense. I acknowledge stats don't always tell the whole story though. (The Packers, for example, often don't look like a top 10 rushing team)

Total defense: 24th
Rushing defense: 26th
Pass defense: 24th

Total offense: 17th
Rushing offense: 23rd
Pass offense: 12th

Looking their schedule, I was surprised at how it was pretty easy overall. They played 3 good teams in the Jets, Patriots, and Panthers and lost by at least 14 in each game. They have won four in a row, but against average or worse teams.

Kirk Cousins has played really well lately, with over 100 rating in each of the past 6 games. Him and the passing game is their strength.

Overall, the Redskins are what I'd expect out of a 9-7 team who won a bad division, maybe slightly above average. They are not a playoff team playing in any other division (expect the even worse AFC South).

The Raiders team we beat on the road a few weeks ago is better than the Redskins. I'd put the Redskins at 7-9 or worse, like the Raiders, with the Raiders' schedule.

Packers win 27-18.

The Packers can't score 27 points with no opposing defense on the field right now...they are by far the worst team in the play-offs...

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What have you seen that would make you think this? I don't think GB could beat JAX right now, let alone Washington...

People are going overboard with the negativity. We had two very bad games back to back and are on a bad slide in the last 10 games of what has been a very disappointing season. That being said, I think it's ridiculous to assume that we have no chance Sunday. We beat a solid Oakland team on the road three weeks ago and were a drive away from pushing a solid Vikings team to overtime on Sunday (and that was after playing 3 quarters of horrible football and giving the Viking 7 points on the fumble). I know beating the raiders and almost coming back against the vikings doesn't exactly constitute an impressive resume, but you'd think we're a college team playing the '73 Dolphins with the way some of you are talking about this game. Cousins has come on strong down the stretch, but the Redskins still aren't that good. They're a team that has a lot of holes (just like us!). I'm sorry, I don't care what kind of negative kick you're on, we're as good if not better than them and could easily win this game. Next week? That's a different story. But why don't we wait until next week to either talk about that game or start talking about what needs to change for next season? Football is about to go away for 9 months, so you might as well try to enjoy what's left of the season.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well this might be the defeatist thought if the day. Do you think the Patriots should look to the draft too? They haven't looked so hot since their 10-0 start. How bout Denver? Cincinnati is going into the playoffs with their backup. Should they start their focus on the draft? Minnesota just won the division but everyone is expecting them to get crushed at home so I guess they should just call it a day?

You don't stop trying to win till the seasons over. And as much as it might pain you as a Packers fan to be "forced" to endure watching this team in the playoffs I'd hope that you'd have a good enough memory to remember in a one game playoff format the best team rarley wins it all. It's the hottest. And if memory serves right the Ravens weren't exactly hot either going in if you want any kind of correlation.

Focus on the draft? Please. I'll be focusing on the Packers playing in actuall games untill they're no longer allowed to do so this season
Do the Packers even remotely look like a championship team? Of course not. The fact is they aren't even average at this point. While no athlete should ever throw in the towel it's phantasy to think this team can go win the Super Bowl.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do the Packers even remotely look like a championship team? Of course not. The fact is they aren't even average at this point. While no athlete should ever throw in the towel it's phantasy to think this team can go win the Super Bowl.

So you think it's a fantasy for say the the Patriots to win it all? What's their record in their last 6 games?

You can wave the white flag and simply focus on the draft if you want. Don't tune in sunday. Me and others will be watching hoping the team catches lightning in a bottle and makes a run cause it has been done before.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you really want to use the Patriots for an example? Watched a game a few weeks ago with them playing without Gronk, 2 Olinemen, their #'s 1,2 and 3 Wr , #'s a and 2 RBs and 3 or 4 key starters on D. They're fine. We're a mess.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you really want to use the Patriots for an example? Watched a game a few weeks ago with them playing without Gronk, 2 Olinemen, their #'s 1,2 and 3 Wr , #'s a and 2 RBs and 3 or 4 key starters on D. They're fine. We're a mess.

Should i list all our injuries also?

None of its an excuse. Simply pointing out that the Packers aren't exactly the only team thats limped into the playoffs and to simply wave the white flag on a season, (note that doesn't mean you can't pick out the Packers flaws or think they don't stand a good chance), before the team has been eliminated actually makes me feel shamed to be associated as part of the same fan base.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our injuries aren't comparable to their s in quality or quantity. You feel ashamed, that's your issue. Be mad instead at the doom and gloomers trolling around.
Gotta go, talk to you all later.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People are going overboard with the negativity. We had two very bad games back to back and are on a bad slide in the last 10 games of what has been a very disappointing season. That being said, I think it's ridiculous to assume that we have no chance Sunday. We beat a solid Oakland team on the road three weeks ago and were a drive away from pushing a solid Vikings team to overtime on Sunday (and that was after playing 3 quarters of horrible football and giving the Viking 7 points on the fumble). I know beating the raiders and almost coming back against the vikings doesn't exactly constitute an impressive resume, but you'd think we're a college team playing the '73 Dolphins with the way some of you are talking about this game. Cousins has come on strong down the stretch, but the Redskins still aren't that good. They're a team that has a lot of holes (just like us!). I'm sorry, I don't care what kind of negative kick you're on, we're as good if not better than them and could easily win this game. Next week? That's a different story. But why don't we wait until next week to either talk about that game or start talking about what needs to change for next season? Football is about to go away for 9 months, so you might as well try to enjoy what's left of the season.

Take off your Packer colored glasses...GB has been a sub-mediocre team for the last half of the season, and while Washington may also be a mediocre team, they are playing very well right now, and have been over the last 4 games...call me crazy, but I'll take an inferior team that's on a hot streak, over a better team that's playing like crap every time...

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They might be fine in the AFC, though I doubt they'll get by DEN now that DEN has HFT, but even if the Pats somehow manage to get to the SB, they will have to face either CAR, ARZ, or SEA, and there's no way they're beatin any of those teams...

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our injuries aren't comparable to their s in quality or quantity. You feel ashamed, that's your issue. Be mad instead at the doom and gloomers trolling around.
Gotta go, talk to you all later.

We've had injuries to our #1, #2, #3 and #4 WR this season along with injuries to all 5 Olinemen, maybe Lang hasn't been hurt not sure, our #1 CB, one of our starting ILBs, and multiple rotational guys.... Yes we've been banged up. The point was things can n do turn around quickly in the POs so while yes we've struggled mightily acting like a team like NE is a set up for a run and we have no chance to be anything but fodder are contradictory statements considering how they've played the last 6 weeks. It's hypocracy at its finest.

And it's not the doom n gloomers. Feel free to point out any flaws in this team. There's plenty. But anyone waving the white flag on the playoffs because we're limping heading in is the special type of fan I hate. The "unless we're clear cut favorites who cares?" group. It's almost the epitome of a "fair weather" fan

Cheese Meister

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until the clock runs out on our game this Sunday, I will refuse to think about post season issues.

The fat lady hasn't called for her cab to take her to the theater yet.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least congratulations to the forum in general. I might have missed it, but I didn't see one reference to the bandwagon.

Voltron

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree it is not guaranteed, but I think we can pull it off. One is we are playing the Redskins, and while they are "hot" they are in the NFL east so not much competition there. I also feel the Raiders were a stronger team than the redskins, if the Raiders where in the East they probably would have clinched mid season. I do think GB has what it takes. They have shown signs of great teamwork during certain drives. So if they can get their act together and make this a consistent thing they can pull off a win.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've had injuries to our #1, #2, #3 and #4 WR this season along with injuries to all 5 Olinemen, maybe Lang hasn't been hurt not sure, our #1 CB, one of our starting ILBs, and multiple rotational guys.... Yes we've been banged up. The point was things can n do turn around quickly in the POs so while yes we've struggled mightily acting like a team like NE is a set up for a run and we have no chance to be anything but fodder are contradictory statements considering how they've played the last 6 weeks. It's hypocracy at its finest.

And it's not the doom n gloomers. Feel free to point out any flaws in this team. There's plenty. But anyone waving the white flag on the playoffs because we're limping heading in is the special type of fan I hate. The "unless we're clear cut favorites who cares?" group. It's almost the epitome of a "fair weather" fan

Never had all those guys out for the same game.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I pass on the over the top frustration fueled teeth gnashing. But doubts and criticism of this team isn't negativity, it's performance based reality.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers lose. It's hard for me to pick this team. Young Vikings came to Lambeau and outplayed them in every phase of the game.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Packers lose. It's hard for me to pick this team. Young Vikings came to Lambeau and outplayed them in every phase of the game.

I think our def played outstanding

Hold AP to under 70 yards, and not allowing him to break one of his normal long runs was awesome.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pointing out the fact that the Packers have played like cap is not doom and gloom. It reflects the fact that they have lost 6 out of their last 10 games. Who on the Packers is now magically going to replace Jody to make a Super Bowl run possible? I want the Packers to win as much as anybody but I won't pretend that they are championship caliber when they have been proving over the last ten weeks that they are not even average. What is it about MM that would give anybody reason to think that anything is going to change things to make a run believable?MM just said after the Viking game that he didn't need to change a thing. He blamed his receivers for not winning their match ups. Doesn't sound like a winning vibe to me.

OP
OP
D

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to be optimistic and simply see what happens. People have counted us out, and I know things on offense have been ugly, but the talent is there. And every team right now is 0-0. I don't care about Arizona, Seattle, Minnesota or Carolina. The only team in the world to us right now is Washington. 1 game at a time and let's see what happens. You never know.

Limburger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to be optimistic about Sunday's game vs. Washington, but the Packers have not done much to warrant such. We've played three complete games all season, and those came in weeks 2, 3, and 11 (yeah, you could argue that the Cowboys game was "complete", but it took us until the 4th quarter to get going).

The defense has been the one unit that has kept us in this season, which is really amazing when you realize that it's a defense designed to play with a lead, not to slug it out while the offense grinds out 23 points per game.

Some key stats from pro-football reference:
  • The offense produced 5.1 yards per play vs. 6.2 in 2014.
  • Points per drive down 0.8 to 1.83. Points per game down from 30 to 23.
  • Average drive time 2:31 vs. 2:53.
  • Total first downs dropped by 39 from 356 to 317.
If we are going to win on Sunday, it will likely be due to the defense as the above stats do not inspire much confidence in the offense. That said, I would love for nothing more than to see Rodgers & Co. find their groove, but it would mark a serious turnaround from what we've seen during the previous 16 games.

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I pass on the over the top frustration fueled teeth gnashing. But doubts and criticism of this team isn't negativity, it's performance based reality.

I'm assuming you're talking to me, since you bolded the word negativity and I was the one who said people were going overboard with the negativity. Since this seemed to be aimed at me, I'll just say that, for the record, I never said anything about doubts and criticism being unwarranted. In fact, I mentioned that it's been an extremely disappointing season and expressed major doubt that we could get any further than the next round. If you're of the opinion that we won't beat the Redskins, that's a perfectly logical and defensible position. That being said, saying that you don't think we could beat the Jaguars let alone the Redskins (you didn't say it, but someone did) is over the top negativity IMO. Our defense has been very good lately; our offense has been horrible, but we're going against the worst defense in the playoffs; and we've been in every game this season, with the exception of the Broncos (1 seed in the AFC) and the Cardinals (2 seed in the NFC). So no, I don't think the belief that we don't have a shot against the Redskins is based in reality.

ETA: The Limburger post above is good example of presenting the facts to demonstrate why you're not optimistic about the game Sunday. As I said, to think we will lose on Sunday is completely defensible. I was more calling out some of the excessively negative hyperbole that we've seen on this thread. That was the only point of my comment.

Last edited:

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree it is not guaranteed, but I think we can pull it off. One is we are playing the Redskins, and while they are "hot" they are in the NFL east so not much competition there. I also feel the Raiders were a stronger team than the redskins, if the Raiders where in the East they probably would have clinched mid season. I do think GB has what it takes. They have shown signs of great teamwork during certain drives. So if they can get their act together and make this a consistent thing they can pull off a win.

I think your opinion of the Raiders is inflated to make the Packers look better. The Raiders may have been better than the Redskins at one point of the season, but they certainly haven't been better over the last 4 weeks, which is what counts going into the post season...the Redskins have been on fire for the last month...granted, they haven't been playing teams like NE or ARZ every week, but they've been blowing teams out...do I think the Redskins are a better team than GB? No I don't, but they are playing much better than GB has been lately, and they are at home...I believe these two factors are enough to get them the win this Sunday...I just don't see GB being able to magically turn on the switch and start playing good football just because they are in the post season...

Voltron

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think your opinion of the Raiders is inflated to make the Packers look better. The Raiders may have been better than the Redskins at one point of the season, but they certainly haven't been better over the last 4 weeks, which is what counts going into the post season...the Redskins have been on fire for the last month...granted, they haven't been playing teams like NE or ARZ every week, but they've been blowing teams out...do I think the Redskins are a better team than GB? No I don't, but they are playing much better than GB has been lately, and they are at home...I believe these two factors are enough to get them the win this Sunday...I just don't see GB being able to magically turn on the switch and start playing good football just because they are in the post season...

That was my point is the "Red Hot" Redskins have been on a role, but it has been against weak teams. GB has not been playing at an elite level, but we also are not playing the lower end of the spectrum. My point is that this media hype of the Red Hot Redskins could have been any other mediocore team in that division. But the fan in me says GB will magically turn on the switch this Sunday..

Members online

Latest posts