PLAYOFFS..For all of the fans wanting Washington....

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only bit of good news I can think of is that home field advantage has meant absolutely nothing this year. So, being on the road won't kill us.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Washington is one of the few playoff teams we have a chance, even if only a slim one, to beat. Our defense, with a solid showing and some pressure on Cousins, can hold up their end. If (and it's a big IF) we have good balance on offense, with no turnovers, we can win. Unfortunately, if we find ourselves in another hole playing from behind our chances will go out the window as soon as we scrap the run. I hope we will at least compete like a playoff team!

PackerinATL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I can't put my finger on is why did our offense completely tank when Ty Montgomery went down. It was night and day. Sure OL got banged up, but he was the one constant that was gone. Couple that with AR not able to convert Adams into a new Jordy...and BAM! 12 looks like his first year as a starter. Hard to figure.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I can't put my finger on is why did our offense completely tank when Ty Montgomery went down. It was night and day. Sure OL got banged up, but he was the one constant that was gone. Couple that with AR not able to convert Adams into a new Jordy...and BAM! 12 looks like his first year as a starter. Hard to figure.

Looking back on it now, I think Montgomery was more important to the offense than people realized.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually think we match up okay with Washington. If we're ever going to get our offense going again this season, you'd think it'd be against that D. Our D has been playing well enough to give us a shot.
They don't run the ball well. Get to Cousins, make him uncomfortable, contain Jordan Reed, don't let DeSean beat you deep.

Jason Comp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Throwing 2 rookies under the bus already? Really? :cautious:
Our secondary will soon be our strength. Still young at all spots. Bahktiari is fine. So do you think we should DEVELOP Barclay, you saw what happen when he played. ILB is still a problem area though, we really need Mathews back on the outside since nobody can get to the QB. Perry has been a bust, Neal is average getting to the QB but plays the run decent.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I hope McCarthy is reading some of these "wanting Washington threads", NAH! he is planning on building a really good team for next year,just wait and see, he told us it would take 6 or more years!!!!!!!!!

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't think it matters who we play. This is a playoff team in name only. The Packers are 4-6 in their last 10 games. Who else is 4-6 in that stretch? Chicago, Jacksonville. That's who I would compare this team with.

Redskins will put this team out of its misery.

This will be an, umm, interesting offseason.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking at the Redskins rankings, they are about middle of the road in both offense and defense. I acknowledge stats don't always tell the whole story though. (The Packers, for example, often don't look like a top 10 rushing team)

Total defense: 24th
Rushing defense: 26th
Pass defense: 24th

Total offense: 17th
Rushing offense: 23rd
Pass offense: 12th

Looking their schedule, I was surprised at how it was pretty easy overall. They played 3 good teams in the Jets, Patriots, and Panthers and lost by at least 14 in each game. They have won four in a row, but against average or worse teams.

Kirk Cousins has played really well lately, with over 100 rating in each of the past 6 games. Him and the passing game is their strength.

Overall, the Redskins are what I'd expect out of a 9-7 team who won a bad division, maybe slightly above average. They are not a playoff team playing in any other division (expect the even worse AFC South).

The Raiders team we beat on the road a few weeks ago is better than the Redskins. I'd put the Redskins at 7-9 or worse, like the Raiders, with the Raiders' schedule.

Packers win 27-18.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Although I was hoping the Packers would win the NFC North and in the process establish some offensive momentum, Washington is a team that the Packers actually should beat. Washington not only has a less than average defense, they lost 2 starters in their secondary yesterday. As long as our Defense keeps playing well, I see this as a win on the road and a chance for the offense to finally get some confidence.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think on paper we match up ok, but we can't expect anything out of this offense. I think our defense will keep us in the game, will probably even give us a few extra opportunities for the offense. But i'm not expecting anything out of this offense. Sure they've given us glimpses, but most of that has been either early in a game or late when we're down by 3 scores. If they do get anything done during the rest, it's usually nullifed by penalty or something and we punt anyway. We have a whole lotta weeks seeing the same deficiencies week after week and it's always something on offense. No protection and no open receivers have been pretty common all year. I don't see them suddenly just playing well.

I think they mostly lined up and just played last night, and that also showed me, we don't just line up and beat people on offense. The Vikings aren't exactly a powerhouse. A good team would have throttled them last night so what does that say about us?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't think it matters who we play. This is a playoff team in name only. The Packers are 4-6 in their last 10 games. Who else is 4-6 in that stretch? Chicago, Jacksonville. That's who I would compare this team with.

Redskins will put this team out of its misery.

This will be an, umm, interesting offseason.
So is Washington. They won a weak division, though we only have 1 more win. They do have much more momentum, and went from a bumbling offense to pulling everything together at the end. We did the opposite.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think on paper we match up ok, but we can't expect anything out of this offense. I think our defense will keep us in the game, will probably even give us a few extra opportunities for the offense. But i'm not expecting anything out of this offense. Sure they've given us glimpses, but most of that has been either early in a game or late when we're down by 3 scores. If they do get anything done during the rest, it's usually nullifed by penalty or something and we punt anyway. We have a whole lotta weeks seeing the same deficiencies week after week and it's always something on offense. No protection and no open receivers have been pretty common all year. I don't see them suddenly just playing well.

I think they mostly lined up and just played last night, and that also showed me, we don't just line up and beat people on offense. The Vikings aren't exactly a powerhouse. A good team would have throttled them last night so what does that say about us?

The Vikings have nearly won in Arizona and Denver so I wouldn't say a good team theories them.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking at the Redskins rankings, they are about middle of the road in both offense and defense. I acknowledge stats don't always tell the whole story though. (The Packers, for example, often don't look like a top 10 rushing team)

Total defense: 24th
Rushing defense: 26th
Pass defense: 24th

Total offense: 17th
Rushing offense: 23rd
Pass offense: 12th

Looking their schedule, I was surprised at how it was pretty easy overall. They played 3 good teams in the Jets, Patriots, and Panthers and lost by at least 14 in each game. They have won four in a row, but against average or worse teams.

Kirk Cousins has played really well lately, with over 100 rating in each of the past 6 games. Him and the passing game is their strength.

Overall, the Redskins are what I'd expect out of a 9-7 team who won a bad division, maybe slightly above average. They are not a playoff team playing in any other division (expect the even worse AFC South).

The Raiders team we beat on the road a few weeks ago is better than the Redskins. I'd put the Redskins at 7-9 or worse, like the Raiders, with the Raiders' schedule.

Packers win 27-18.

I can't understand how anyone who has seen the Packers play since the bye can be so confident in a playoff win. Regardless of the level of competition, the momentum arrows are clearly pointing in different directions. We have no real reason to believe that we're a better team right now than the Bills and Eagles teams that the Redskins recently handily disposed of. Throw the season stats out as we're a very different team than we were 10 weeks ago, and so are the Redskins.

I think you're trying too hard to paint this matchup in a positive light with the Raiders comparison. Apples and oranges. There isn't much analysis necessary with this team. Any playoff success they might have is predicated on the belief that the offense can simply flip a switch and perform in the postseason as Rodgers seems to believe they can. If they do, they'll be fine on Sunday. If not, they have no chance.

Obviously, I hope you're right about the win, but what you're drawing such strong confidence from lately as you did before the game at Arizona, I really have no idea.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't understand how anyone who has seen the Packers play since the bye can be so confident in a playoff win. Regardless of the level of competition, the momentum arrows are clearly pointing in different directions. We have no real reason to believe that we're a better team right now than the Bills and Eagles teams that the Redskins recently handily disposed of. Throw the season stats out as we're a very different team than we were 10 weeks ago, and so are the Redskins.

I think you're trying too hard to paint this matchup in a positive light with the Raiders comparison. Apples and oranges. There isn't much analysis necessary with this team. Any playoff success they might have is predicated on the belief that the offense can simply flip a switch and perform in the postseason as Rodgers seems to believe they can. If they do, they'll be fine on Sunday. If not, they have no chance.

Obviously, I hope you're right about the win, but what you're drawing such strong confidence from lately as you did before the game at Arizona, I really have no idea.

Considering they nearly beat a much better Minnesota team with a poor offense, they certainly have a chance against a Redskins team with a defense that isn't very good.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering they nearly beat a much better Minnesota team with a poor offense, they certainly have a chance against a Redskins team with a defense that isn't very good.

Not saying they have no chance, I think it's 50 50 ish. But there's been no real correlation between the defenses we've faced and our offensive performance, we've stunk against defenses good and bad.

Is it possible that playing a defense like Washington's could provide an opportunity to jump start our offense? Sure. Hope so. But I'm in 'see it to believe it' mode after this long of offensive ineptitude.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
They will not win with this useless group of receivers. If TT doesn't make significant changes to this team in the off season, he should get the boot along with the receiving corps, Bakhtiari, Ryan, and Randall.
Overreact much? Getting rid of those three players would be foolish in the extreme.
I hope McCarthy is reading some of these "wanting Washington threads", NAH! he is planning on building a really good team for next year,just wait and see, he told us it would take 6 or more years!!!!!!!!!
:rolleyes: I missed the part where he told us it would take six more years.

BTW, Ty Montgomery played in 6 games, caught 15 passes for 136 yards (9.1 average) for 2 TDs and ran the ball 3 times for 14 yards (4.7 yards). They missed him and I look forward to seeing him develop but IMO he wasn’t going to be the savior for the offense this season.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Face it. This is just not the Packers' year. Teams like the Skins and Vikings hunger for this opportunity. Maybe they'll make the most of it.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, all we can hope for is a miracle playoff run. Stranger things have happened, but I'm certainly not getting my hopes up.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings have nearly won in Arizona and Denver so I wouldn't say a good team theories them.
and those were different games, LAST night, a good team would have won by 2 scores.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a very good match up for us. Don't forget that our defense is playing monster's balls out.

Latest posts