Playoff Preperation: Offensive play calling

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Last season you can say our playoffs started early.
We had to win it all to get in, and you see there was a big difference in play calling near the end of the season.

The running game is still a big key to winning in the NFL.

Most people seem to argue me today, saying yeah, it's a passing league, but you can win without a running game, and that's not entirely true. Even teams that won entirely based on defense, had a good running game (Walter Payton of the 1985 Bears, can't remember whats his face for the 2000 Ravens).

Don't forget, last season, the Packers struggled to run the ball, but at the end of the season Starks really helped with his explosiveness. I think Starks 100+ rushing games, at the end of the year set the balance that this team could ground and pound you to drain the clock and give you a nightmare, and I don't care what anyone thinks, the running game in the playoffs was a HUGE help. We had 100 or more rushing yards in every game to the Super Bowl, and that was enough to balance it and not tell Rodgers to go and throw 50 passes to win the game. We made a statement against Atlanta. First time around in regular season, we did nothing running against them. Second time, we pounded them with the running game, which set up play action, and gave Rodgers a huge advantage to light their defense up.

The running game personally in my opinion, really gave light against New England. We ran the ball so well in that game. Loss or not, it proved this team could run the ball when everyone doubted them. That was the eye opener, we totally exploded on the Giants, and put 40+ on the board, with Starks having a huge game and Rodgers also had a huge game.

Today, the Packers ran the ball very well with Grant, against Oakland. I have to say, I like this play off preparation. It shows McCarthy isn't just wanting to air it out, but expect some mix ups, and advantages in the playoffs with the running game. The Falcons game, proved this team really utilizes the use of Play Action better than some teams that are run based offenses. Even when we struggled against the Giants, McCarthy was trying to run the ball.

Right now, some teams are preparing for the playoffs with their play calling. You see the 49ers are trying to take more chances by giving Alex Smith the opportunity to pass, as they are probably thinking they'll be airing it out in the playoffs. Baltimore also, is trying to get Flacco to play more consistent by letting him throw everywhere. But unlike those teams, the Packers have the passing game for the playoffs, and today showed they will be pounding it too on the ground.

Can't be more happy with this. A few weeks ago I was really starting to worry this team was going to struggle running the ball come post season, but they proved me wrong today. I know for sure we'll chew down the clock with the run game, setting up some nice screens and play action from Rodgers.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I actually have been the most concerned with the run game more then the D. I have seen the D come through too many times and turn it on when it matters.

The run game can be hot and cold. The Raiders give up the most yards per carry in the league I think, or they did at least a few weeks ago when I checked the stats when they headed into the Miami game.

I would like to see the Packers run decently against a team like the Bears if they can. In the NFC playoffs if the Packers play a team like the Saints they should be able to run the ball effectively. In week 1 when they did they got well over 4 ypc I believe with both Starks or Grant.

The Packers can probably run well on most of the NFC playoff teams except maybe the Niners. In the SB teams like Baltimore/Pittsburgh/Houston would be tough to run on but the Packers didn't need a strong ground attack to get by the Steelers in the big one. I can tell you right now that the Ravens are BRUTAL at times to run on.

You don't always have to go crazy with the run game, just have the threat there so teams at least respect it.

Members online

Latest posts