Playing Rogers is a REALLY STUPID MOVE!!!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Last year they controlled their own destiny. If they ran the table they were in the playoffs. This year they need a fair amount of help. More importantly, last year Rodgers wasn't playing with a surgically repaired collarbone.

I read if they run the table (3 games) they are given a 92% chance of making the playoffs.

The Packers are probably going to have to win all three of their remaining games. But if they do, they have a very good chance indeed: 92 percent, according to the Machine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/13/sports/football/aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-playoffs.html

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
The risk vs. reward here makes this move to play rodgers an easy decision. The worst possible scenario is he gets hit and refractures his collarbone. Then he sits for 6 months in the offseason and it heals. The best part about fractures is that they rarely have long term affects. That’s the worst thing that happens! Why wouldn’t they play him with a shot at playoffs? They run the table it’s extremely likely they are in!

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

How can playing Rodgers be a stupid move when he makes throws like this??

Last edited:

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
I think Rodgers will play even if we don't have a chance to make the playoffs.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
i would start hundley and wait to see if he is needed. we don't need rogers get hurt again

He will be needed, like right after the opening coin flip. This isn't the Browns that the Packers are facing on Sunday. If the Packers conservative medical staff cleared him, AR should play. No use "saving" him until the game is out of hand, which most likely would mean season over.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Get that rag arm 12 out on the field, and tell those kids to get the hell out of my driveway....or I am calling in that Limey Bill to care of my light work....Liverpool Derbies...PFFF!!

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Get that rag arm 12 out on the field, and tell those kids to get the hell out of my driveway....or I am calling in that Limey Bill to care of my light work....Liverpool Derbies...PFFF!!

Just use the BATMAN lamp if you need anything Lambo ;)

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He will be needed, like right after the opening coin flip. This isn't the Browns that the Packers are facing on Sunday.
Yeah, the last time we played the Panthers in Carolina, they beat us 37-29. And that was with Rodgers.

D

Deleted member 6794

Last year they controlled their own destiny. If they ran the table they were in the playoffs. This year they need a fair amount of help. More importantly, last year Rodgers wasn't playing with a surgically repaired collarbone.

As I posted in another thread if the Packers win out they only need Carolina and Seattle to lose another team to make the playoffs.

I think Rodgers will play even if we don't have a chance to make the playoffs.

While there's absolutely no doubt the Packers should play Rodgers as long as the team has a shot at a playoff berth I wouldn't mind sitting him if they're eliminated.

Yeah, the last time we played the Panthers in Carolina, they beat us 37-29. And that was with Rodgers.

In addition that game was way more lopsided than the final score might indicate.

Jed12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless Rodgers was not fully healthy enough to play and the organisation truly believing we can’t make the playoffs, he would not be out there. We have historically been very conservative with injuries and the team doctors would never put the franchise QB into a position where he could potentially wreck the rest of his career. Rodgers is not Romo

OP
OP
D

Djepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One good dump on his shoulder and we’ll be doing this all over again...Doh!!!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
One good dump on his shoulder and we’ll be doing this all over again...Doh!!!

But that can happen to any player at anytime, including in 2018 and beyond. If his injury is healed enough for the medical staff to clear him, it's healed enough for him to play. He has played with other injuries before, that he had to protect against reinjuring. I'm confident that AR is smart enough and has great enough pocket awareness that he will be avoiding as many big hits as he can, especially if that shoulder isn't fully healed and more susceptible to injury.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't win the Superbowl without making the playoffs, and we still have a shot at that. No brainer to play him if doc says he is good. I understand the hesitation though, and I am curious to see if they shut him down if we lose.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You don't win the Superbowl without making the playoffs, and we still have a shot at that. No brainer to play him if doc says he is good. I understand the hesitation though, and I am curious to see if they shut him down if we lose.

Agreed.

I would hope that if the Packers are eliminated from Playoff contention they give Callahan some playing time. I think we found out this year just how valuable "real games" are to a QB. Hundley could play the first half and bring Callahan in for the second half. Same goes for all the younger players. Get them valuable playing time to make them better players for 2018 and beyond.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
But that can happen to any player at anytime, including in 2018 and beyond. If his injury is healed enough for the medical staff to clear him, it's healed enough for him to play. He has played with other injuries before, that he had to protect against reinjuring. I'm confident that AR is smart enough and has great enough pocket awareness that he will be avoiding as many big hits as he can, especially if that shoulder isn't fully healed and more susceptible to injury.
Though Rodgers said he will have no limitations, and that he's comfortable playing the same way he's always played, I'd be surprised if there isn't a heavy emphasis on the running game early on. And for at least his first few throws to be very quick 3 step drop type of routes just to get him a rhythm.

IMO, there will be a feeling out process in the first couple of drives to get a feel for how the game is going to go. If the defense somehow gets a couple of stops in the first drive, I think you see semi-conservative play calling. Now if Carolina comes out and scores a TD on the first drive that changes everything. Rodgers will be thrown to the wolves quickly.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In Rodgers I Trust.....to get the job done in any way he sees fit. I can't remember all the games that he played on a bad calf or other injuries, but he has a very good feel for what he can and can't do. I expect the same against Carolina.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
In Rodgers I Trust.....to get the job done in any way he sees fit. I can't remember all the games that he played on a bad calf or other injuries, but he has a very good feel for what he can and can't do. I expect the same against Carolina.
I'd never bet against Aaron Rodgers. In a million years. That's why I've got that photo with the belt around his waste. He's the man. Like you have said, the ultimate deodorant. But I think how this game plays out will dictate how he's used to a certain degree.

We'll see. Just win.

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They do need help, but there are about 3 ways into the wildcard. It isn't like there is 1 way in. Teams go through this, and overcome this, all of the time. We just aren't usually in that position. Will it be easy? No. Is it possible? Absolutely.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there is no chance of a longer recovery time with an injury, he should play. If he gets hurt, and recovery is 9-12 months, then the GM, President, coach, and Dr. should be fired immediately.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I guess we all have our opinions on Rodgers and whether he is being brought back too soon. I prefer to leave it up to the doctors who know "their stuff". Which I am sure there are a variety of opinions too. Nothing I have read though has pointed to a long term long term risk. If he gets hit and breaks the bone again, it means he starts all over and needs the off season to recover.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...risk-clearing-aaron-rodgers-return/947971001/

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They do need help, but there are about 3 ways into the wildcard. It isn't like there is 1 way in. Teams go through this, and overcome this, all of the time. We just aren't usually in that position. Will it be easy? No. Is it possible? Absolutely.
We've had quite a bit of luck in the past getting into the playoffs, including the last season we won the Super Bowl. No reason why it can't happen again. The hardest part is probably winning out.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm confident that AR is smart enough and has great enough pocket awareness that he will be avoiding as many big hits as he can, especially if that shoulder isn't fully healed and more susceptible to injury.

As you've mentioned before I highly doubt the conservative Packers medical staff would have cleared Rodgers if that shoulder wasn't healed by now.

Latest posts