Players often make huge leaps from their 1st to 2nd seasons

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some other reasons you can rest assured that this ...
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

... will continue to grow and develop as a Pro

#1 The good news is Ahmad is only 21 years old, the bad news is Ahmad Carroll is only 21 years old. In his own words "I still got to grow up. I know that. Even with the rookies coming in, I'm still the youngest guy we got. All the rookies are older than me. It is easy to forget that Carroll was thrown to the wolves last season, because of the abysmal failure of Michael Hawthorne as a starting CB.

#2 His physical tools, he has blazing speed, fans that want to give up on this kid forget that he was a three-year sprinter for national championship Arkansas, capturing All-American honors in both the 100 and 200 meters at age 20. His 4.34 40 yard dash times was tops at his position at the combine as was his 41-inch vertical leap. He is a well-cut 195 pounds and isn't afraid to lay wood on receivers and running backs alike.

#3 Al Harris.

In the D-backfield, Harris is the leader of the Pack. He is mentoring all of the young kids. "He shows you how to be consistent and shows you how a professional comes to work every day," second-year cornerback Joey Thomas said. "Basically how to do things right. If there was a guy where you said, 'I want my game to be like his,' it would be Al Harris. He's definitely the model and the mode to follow."

Bates has far from given up on this (literal) kid who has barely reached the age of majority, but he will not tolerate the undisciplined temper tantrums that he threw last season with teammates and coaches. If ever a player needed some firm fathering and coaching it is the Packers other

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey brother Bruce, even with this nice posts I am not sold on Carroll, basically because he is so over sure of himself he nedds to be humble to blossom..

On the other hand I like Joey Thomas and Mike Hawkins..

What about Collins ??? Have you seen this guy, he has the tools...

Nice post anyway :twisted:

Reaction score
Bruce, nice post once again. Chamuko, I would agree that he has to be humble, and I think he has become more humble. What ever people say about the kid, you cannot forget Ferggy. His first year was horrible, and even Brett got on him, but in his second he improved by leapes and bounds. Granted Carroll has not done that yet, but by turning older, becoming more mature, I believe he will gradually become more humble, and thus a better player. Nice to hear from you again, Bruce and Chamuko.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Bruce,

Even with his "blazing speed" there is NO confidance in side of Carrol. As Thomas gets back to 100% or close to it, I still think he will beat out Carrol. The next three weeks will be very interesting. Lets see who makes the plays...

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of you are too quick to give up on this kid. I understand wanting instant gratification, but it takes time. He is fast, he is strong, he can jump ... His two down sides are he is short and he is young and inexperienced (but every practice he gains in the last departments)

He made a big play against San Diego for a touchdown that was only taken away by a bad preseason call. He will be a player in the NFL. It is Carrolls job, he is approaching the task with far more humility since Thomas was promoted ahead of him. He is a proud and competetive young man. I don't see him squandering his opportunity that reemerged when Joey went down. Regardless both will play in the nickle and dime packages.

Yes, Collins has the tools. He will be the starter this season. My guess is he will be making big plays and a few big mistakes along the way. My gut says that he will make more big plays than he gives up and the between plays will be better than Sharpers inconsistent play last season.

BTW I like Hawkins too, I have from the first moment. You cannot teach burst or that extra gear. He is one of the rare guys that has it naturally. He is slight though and will need to get bigger to handle the rigors of the NFL as a Starter. He will be playing in the dime packages this season.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of making leaps the 2nd season, I was really hoping a couple of the young D-linemen would develop and stand out more like KGB did his second season. So far though it sounds like the younger D-linemen are slow to develop.

I remember someone saying after the draft that if Carroll would have stayed in school another year, that he would have been a top 10 pick in the following draft. The guy is frustrating at times with his attitude, but the ability is there if Bates can reach him. I'm not sure what to expect from Carroll, but it's too early to give up on him.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Pack has played one preseason game ...

ArizonaPackerFan said:
Speaking of making leaps the 2nd season, I was really hoping a couple of the young D-linemen would develop and stand out more like KGB did his second season. So far though it sounds like the younger D-linemen are slow to develop.

I remember someone saying after the draft that if Carroll would have stayed in school another year, that he would have been a top 10 pick in the following draft. The guy is frustrating at times with his attitude, but the ability is there if Bates can reach him. I'm not sure what to expect from Carroll, but it's too early to give up on him.

... perhaps a tad early to give up on players based on camp reports written by entertainers. Several young players will fail, like happens every year in every camp in the NFL, but the fat lady has not even begun to warm up on the final song for some of these young men.

It is easy to forget that everyone is in the beginning stages of learning a new system with new responsibilities (the Pack has played one exhibition game). It is too early to know how some of these kids will turn out, though clearly some have struggled. But since some insist on counting on day to day performances, yesterday:

The defensive line did a good job of obstructing the passing lanes. Defensive lineman Kenny Peterson

tipped a Craig Nall pass, which resulted in an interception for defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins.

Defensive tackle Colin Cole picked off a J.T. O'Sullivan throw, which Donnell Washington tipped

An example of the quick trigger can be found with Cole. In the days leading up to the San Diego game he was a medial darling, the best thing since sliced bread. After a couple of early technique problems VS S.D. he suddenly became a huge disappointment...

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i got faith in batman. like you said, he's only 21 and was thrown into a messing situation last year and was expected to produce right away. i think he'll come around.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys - All I care about are the damn holding calls..... period !

If the Player fits THAT description, then get him some training, smack him upside the head like a spoiled brat should be and get the issue cleaned up.. end of discussion. I don't care what the Player's name is.... McKenzie got holding calls, too! As has AL HARRIS - just not as frequently as what we've seen with several of the McKenzie replacements, so far.

Face it - Penalties killed the Packers last year and have been a bane in Sherman's side since he stepped up to clean up the mess created by Ray Rhodes. While Rhodes is a damn fine DC - he's never been HC material - The Packers had to learn that the hard way.

If Sherman is to get his extension, then let this be the magic marker that scribbles Yea or Nay.... Penalties, at the end of this coming Season, should be the final determination.

It's every bit as much the Players, along with the Coaches, which makes this issue go away or not. Not just one, or the other - if that Player is still out there on the field, then FIRE the Coach who left it that way.

I figure this is the biggest reason why Sherman has NO SUPERBOWL..... think about it.

NCPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Penalties, at the end of this coming Season, should be the final determination.

speaking of penalties, I have a bad feeling that KGB's habit of jumping offsides is going to eventually cost us more than just 5 yards. I know he's a hard worker and is just trying to time the snap count, but he needs to show some discipline.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
:confused: IPB got a tiny nerve struck lol

I do agree with him :D
Nah, Slick - not like that at all.... and thanks!
I'm just reading how all the others are sorta slip-slidin' around the central issue.
So, I posted what I thought the central issue should actually be at this point.

I guess you could just consider me a hard core Packer Acolyte - thru & thru....

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Oops, I thought I sense a little hostility in your tone of voice towards the end of that text based post.

It was simply a more direct to the point 'get rid of his ***' type of post which I just am not familar with from ya.

kuston

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The day Carrol loses his attitude, cut him. CBs in this league need that. All the great ones have it. If they don't believe they are the top dog on the field, they are finished.

The reason Sherman doesn't have a SB ring is because of 4th & 26 and the stupid idiotic play be our defensive caption Mr. Sharper.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The McKenzie defection had sort of a domino effect on this team, leading to Hawthorne starting, which never should have happened, then to Carroll starting, which was way too early. Carroll does show flashes of big-play ability, but seems a long way from putting it all together. I'm hoping to see progress in these next couple preseason games.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts