Reaction score
all about da packers said:
How about this. 4yr 28 mil.
10 mil SB.
08' 2.5 mil
09' 3.5 mil
10' 4.5 mil plus 2 RB
11' 5.5 mil

Personally, I think the cap value for the first two years is reasonable for Williams, but the problem is the cap value for the final two years.

2010:
4.5 million base + 1 million cap charge for Roster Bonus + 2.5 million cap charge for signing bonus = 8 million against the cap.

2011:
5.5 million base + 1 million cap charge for Roster Bonus + 2.5 million cap charge for signing bonus = 9 million against the cap.

IMO the high cap charged in the later years might be a bit problematic. But then again, Bubba was signed under Ted's reign as GM and he has an outrageous cap number next year too, so it isn't as if the Packers wouldn't offer such a contract.

If our next cap guru is anywhere near as good as Brandt, then the Packers shouldn't have a problem figuring out a way to structure the contract (4 years, 28 million) to avoid high future cap charges. However, I think such a contract (4yrs/28 mill) would be overpaying, and I'm probably in the minority in thinking that. But I'm not Ted, so my opinion means nothing really.

Remember Kampman
3/14/2006: Signed a four-year, $21 million contract. The deal included an $8 million signing bonus and contains $12 million in guarantees. 2007: $1.9 million, 2008: $2.9 million, 2009: $3.9 million, 2010: Free Agent

Prices have gone up. Not saying TT will sign Williams but it will take atleast about what I suggest if not more. May be worked differently but i think that would be close.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Timmons, Tuck signed a 5 year 30 million dollar contract the week leading up to the Packers game, and the argument could be made that Tuck got overpaid. Before this season Tuck only had 1 sack (in two seasons) and his only impressive season netted him a huge pay day.

Tuck and Williams both play inside on passing downs because both have the ability to provide a rush, and both players are versatile enough to switch to end and have done so on a couple of occasions.

Tuck was great in yesterdays win against the Pats at getting a consistent pressure on Brady. Ted might now conclude that the market value for Williams has gone up because Williams is a more consistent version of Justin Tuck.

So Ted might be willing to offer Williams a bigger salary, one that is more in line with what Williams thinks he is worth. Not that Ted WILL deem Williams worth a boat load of money, but he might realize in order to keep Williams he'll need to go higher than 2.5-3 million range.

Yeah I can understand why those who don't know much about the Giants, would think they over paid to keep Tuck, but you also have to understand that in the last year the Giants defensive scheme has changed. It is more of a pressure defense, and now calls for more from its front four then it did in previous years. Given that Tuck has responded well to such a change, I wouldn't say that is a bad deal, but I'm not sure if Williams is as good as Tuck. I'm in favor of trying to keep continuity where you can, but not at the expense of other critical positions. However, if Williams can play a little bit of End as well, that's an improvement in depth that helps the team as well.

How about this. 4yr 28 mil.
10 mil SB.
08' 2.5 mil
09' 3.5 mil
10' 4.5 mil plus 2 RB
11' 5.5 mil

Personally, I think the cap value for the first two years is reasonable for Williams, but the problem is the cap value for the final two years.

2010:
4.5 million base + 1 million cap charge for Roster Bonus + 2.5 million cap charge for signing bonus = 8 million against the cap.

2011:
5.5 million base + 1 million cap charge for Roster Bonus + 2.5 million cap charge for signing bonus = 9 million against the cap.

IMO the high cap charged in the later years might be a bit problematic. But then again, Bubba was signed under Ted's reign as GM and he has an outrageous cap number next year too, so it isn't as if the Packers wouldn't offer such a contract.

If our next cap guru is anywhere near as good as Brandt, then the Packers shouldn't have a problem figuring out a way to structure the contract (4 years, 28 million) to avoid high future cap charges. However, I think such a contract (4yrs/28 mill) would be overpaying, and I'm probably in the minority in thinking that. But I'm not Ted, so my opinion means nothing really.

Oh I agree with you here, its okay to have salaries go up every year, but you really have to be careful, especially as players get older. You don't want to end up in a situation where the money you pay him is so much more than a player may be worth. How old is Williams now? 27 according to the packers site, so in 4 years he will be 32. The risk in long term contracts like this is you don't know what could happen in year 3 or 4. Injuries can happen at any time, and players can lose the speed that made them great. I'm thinking this deal suggestion is a bit too much back loaded. I prefer a more level with a slight increase year to year as that way it spreads the risk out over the length of the contract, but given that if you had to cut Williams in year 4 or 5, with that it would be maybe 3.5 mil of dead cap space if it came to that? I'm really not sure. I only recently began digging into how the Packers handle things with contracts so I'm still learning, but he might be worth it. This sounds cheaper than bringing in a Free Agent, which to be honest is better for the bottom line. Hrms, just not sure though.

Latest posts