Players not in the plans

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:pop: Any ideas here on who GB will not have back next season? think Morency maybe a casualty for next season.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Morency, Bubba, Bishop, Walker, Al Harris(wishful thinking. I wont ever forgive! or forget!)

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Morency may have played himself off the team this year. Bubba had a nicer year than I expected, but he may be gone too. I think they like Bishop though. It doesn't look like they're going to pay Williams so he could be gone.

Reaction score
Personally, I believe the following are not coming back:

- DT Corey Williams - will want more than what Ted deems his worth.

- CB Frank Walker - played the worse out of Blackmon/Williams/Bush, yet made the most money. He doesn't help us all that much, better off going with a younger player over him.

- RB Vernand Morency - Trio of better and younger RBs than him, Jackson gives us an option out of the backfield that is on par, if not better, than V-Mo.

I expect Franks to be back as TE, I think he'll be willing to reduce his salary to stay with this team.

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williams has stated that he'd be willing to take less to stay in Green Bay. With the impact that Justin Tuck had in New York's superbowl win, maybe Thompson will be persuaded to spend a bit on him.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Franks might be gone.

I rather cut Bubba and use the extra money to keep Corey Williams.

Morency should be given another shot. The staff believes in him, which is why hes always in a passing downs.

Hodge may be gone.

Other guys are pretty much replaceable: Walker, Peprah, Bishop, Muir, Bodiford, Holiday, Krause, Montgomery...

Reaction score
Williams has stated that he'd be willing to take less to stay in Green Bay. With the impact that Justin Tuck had in New York's superbowl win, maybe Thompson will be persuaded to spend a bit on him.

Good point.

I was thinking more along the lines of Ted deeming Williams to be between 2.5-3 million dollars, which would put him right behind Pickett (our most valuable DT IMO).

I think Williams wouldn't take less than 3.5 million. So I see him going. But as you pointed out, Tuck's performance might just have swayed Ted to offer a bit more than he originally might of been willing to.

Reaction score
couldnt we trade hodge and get something for him draft deadline?

Imagine you are a GM.

You get called about trading a draft pick for a player that has knee problems, and did not play all of last season. His knee problems might never let him fulfill his potential.

Exactly how much would you be willing to part for said player? I'm guessing anything more than a conditional late second day pick would be over paying for Hodge currently.

Hodge still can be useful to this team if he comes back close to 100%, we desperately need another MLB.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bubba was finally starting to look like his old self. I hope he would be willing to take a pay cut to stay here. If Brett stays, we have a REAL shot at the SB next year.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had forgotten about Hodge. He was thought of as possibly the steal of that draft, but he never played up to all the publicity.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Franks might be gone.

I rather cut Bubba and use the extra money to keep Corey Williams.

Morency should be given another shot. The staff believes in him, which is why hes always in a passing downs.

Hodge may be gone.

Other guys are pretty much replaceable: Walker, Peprah, Bishop, Muir, Bodiford, Holiday, Krause, Montgomery...

I agree with you on all points except one - I think Holiday will be kept for depth. Favre seems to have a little bit of chemistry with him too.

I'd rather have Corey Williams than Bubba. If we cut both Frank Walker and Bubba, we can keep Williams. Plus, let's draft a TE or 2. I'd like to go into the season with 3 TEs ideally.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hodge has a bum knee, has played no games. Hes basically worthless in a trade. SOme of you guys take your trade logic from Madden or something, get real :p

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

Good point.

I was thinking more along the lines of Ted deeming Williams to be between 2.5-3 million dollars, which would put him right behind Pickett (our most valuable DT IMO).

I think Williams wouldn't take less than 3.5 million. So I see him going. But as you pointed out, Tuck's performance might just have swayed Ted to offer a bit more than he originally might of been willing to.

AADP.

Please explain how Tuck's performance would have an effect on Williams deal here in GB. I'm not saying it wouldn't, I just don't understand how you're saying that it would.

Thanks,

Timmons

OP
OP
C

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
couldnt we trade hodge and get something for him draft deadline?

Imagine you are a GM.

You get called about trading a draft pick for a player that has knee problems, and did not play all of last season. His knee problems might never let him fulfill his potential.

Exactly how much would you be willing to part for said player? I'm guessing anything more than a conditional late second day pick would be over paying for Hodge currently.

Hodge still can be useful to this team if he comes back close to 100%, we desperately need another MLB.

:shock: Think Hodge is done and doubt there's any interest in him in the league so either Ted does a step into FA or sees a viable draft pick for MLB. Think Franks can be replaced as well. Rather keep herron then Morency. Jolly hopefully returns 100% so that TT can concentrate on a decent CB.

Reaction score
AADP.

Please explain how Tuck's performance would have an effect on Williams deal here in GB. I'm not saying it wouldn't, I just don't understand how you're saying that it would.

Thanks,

Timmons

Timmons, Tuck signed a 5 year 30 million dollar contract the week leading up to the Packers game, and the argument could be made that Tuck got overpaid. Before this season Tuck only had 1 sack (in two seasons) and his only impressive season netted him a huge pay day.

Tuck and Williams both play inside on passing downs because both have the ability to provide a rush, and both players are versatile enough to switch to end and have done so on a couple of occasions.

Tuck was great in yesterdays win against the Pats at getting a consistent pressure on Brady. Ted might now conclude that the market value for Williams has gone up because Williams is a more consistent version of Justin Tuck.

So Ted might be willing to offer Williams a bigger salary, one that is more in line with what Williams thinks he is worth. Not that Ted WILL deem Williams worth a boat load of money, but he might realize in order to keep Williams he'll need to go higher than 2.5-3 million range.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AADP.

Thanks,

Timmons

Timmons, Tuck signed a 5 year 30 million dollar contract the week leading up to the Packers game, and the argument could be made that Tuck got overpaid. Before this season, Tuck only had 1 sack (in two seasons) and his only impressive season netted him a huge pay day.

Tuck and Williams both play inside on passing downs because both have the ability to provide a rush, and both players are versatile enough to switch to end and have done so on a couple of occasions.

Tuck was great in yesterdays win against the Pats, getting a consistent rush. Ted might see that and decide the market value for Williams has gone up, seeing as Williams has had two straight seasons of 7 sacks, showing he has the ability to consistently put up stats.

So Ted might be willing to offer Williams a bigger salary, one more in line with what Williams thinks he is worth. Not that Ted WILL deem Williams worth a boat load of money, but he might realize in order to keep Williams he'll need to go higher than 2.5-3 million range and decide it isn't a bad idea to do so.

How about this. 4yr 28 mil.
10 mil SB.
08' 2.5 mil
09' 3.5 mil
10' 4.5 mil plus 2 RB
11' 5.5 mil

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Bubba is gone, but one never knows how much he will be offered on the open market given his recent injuries. I would be absolutely shocked if the Pack don't draft a TE.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Bubba is gone, but one never knows how much he will be offered on the open market given his recent injuries. I would be absolutely shocked if the Pack don't draft a TE.

I wouldn't be surprised if we draft 2 or draft one and pick one up in FA.

Reaction score
How about this. 4yr 28 mil.
10 mil SB.
08' 2.5 mil
09' 3.5 mil
10' 4.5 mil plus 2 RB
11' 5.5 mil

Personally, I think the cap value for the first two years is reasonable for Williams, but the problem is the cap value for the final two years.

2010:
4.5 million base + 1 million cap charge for Roster Bonus + 2.5 million cap charge for signing bonus = 8 million against the cap.

2011:
5.5 million base + 1 million cap charge for Roster Bonus + 2.5 million cap charge for signing bonus = 9 million against the cap.

IMO the high cap charged in the later years might be a bit problematic. But then again, Bubba was signed under Ted's reign as GM and he has an outrageous cap number next year too, so it isn't as if the Packers wouldn't offer such a contract.

If our next cap guru is anywhere near as good as Brandt, then the Packers shouldn't have a problem figuring out a way to structure the contract (4 years, 28 million) to avoid high future cap charges. However, I think such a contract (4yrs/28 mill) would be overpaying, and I'm probably in the minority in thinking that. But I'm not Ted, so my opinion means nothing really.

Members online

Latest posts