Player contracts

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear a lot about how players are treated unfairly because the team releases them before the contract is up and if the team doesn't honor the contract why should the player. It occured to me that this must be legal and the contracts have to be written where that is possible otherwise why haven't we seen a bunch of breach of contract lawsuits. I don't remember any by a player. I do believe it is silly the way things are done with the teams knowing full well they will not fulfill many of the contracts. But players egoes dictate they like to brag about 50 million dollar contracts when they should know full well it won't happen. Instead of a team salary cap I would like to see the leagure put a 3 year cap on salaries with maximums based on years in the league. I also would like to see star players with say 8 years on the same team being exempt from cap numbers so players like Favre, Rice and the legend type guys are assured of staying on the team they started with. This would prevent things like the Emmett Smith travesty.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does the team get reimbursed if the player is injured? What if he underperforms (Hunt, JJ)? The player gets guaranteed $ (sign bonus) but does the team get guaranteed performance?

You need some sort of a check and balance, and cutting the player is about all that the teams have.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
they should be GUARANTEED contracts like major league baseball....not so one-sided in the nfl team's favor...

players are HUMAN for god's sake..

look at Jason Giambi with the Yankees...they hung there with him and now he's tearing the cover off the ball..it works both ways...

don't feel too sorry for the POOR OWNERS..!

right Digger?

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bottom line is that this isn't a sport anymore. It's a business and like any business the owner, (managers like Harlan) runs the shop and they can fire you at a moments notice if what you offer doesn't make the company money. The owners are their own worst enemies. The put a salary cap in place to protect themselves from themselves. How stupid is that? So now they put these limitations on themselves and that is part of the problem with contracts today. They give out huge bonuses to circumvent the salary cap that they put in place to protect themselves and players want that money up front because that is theirs. The downside of the bonus is that they don't make as much on the salary because that works more against the salary cap. So when you look at Walker, he got something like 2 mil as a signing bonus. He already has that money and now he makes in addition to that 2 mil, something in the area of $500,000 a year in salary. Well if you add that 2 mil. to his contract, then he's making considerably more than $500,000. My point being that it's not just the players that are in the wrong, they system the owner put in doesn't always work because the players look at it like the owners can end that contract anytime they want to, so the player think they have the right to hold out. So in my humble opinion the system used isn't a very good system, especially when the people who work the system are not honorable people. I don't consider Rosenhaus and Walker honorable people.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is the nature of the game that you have to make the team to be able to play. This is true from grade school on. And even in life you can't totally choose where you work and what you are paid. In football another reason that players are cut is that they have contracts where they are overpaid and therefore cut.

If the players are really concerned they should take care of the low end players, some that are on the team only part of the year, some that have families, and make hundreds of thousands and even millions of dollars less or help the pension for the players of the past that made this great game what it is. Help the guys that made it possible for today's players to be rich overnight. :x

Latest posts