Pick #30, Who are your favorite prospects?

Who do you take at 30?

• Grant Delpit S LSU

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Jonathan Taylor RB Wisconsin

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Justin Herbert QB Oregon

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Cesar Ruiz OL Michigan

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Christian McCaffrey was also similarly undervalued due to “wear and tear” and “RB trending obsolete” and we’ve all seen how that worked out.

I think Taylor would get top quality help in improving his receiving game and ball control (both weaknesses). The combo of Jones and Taylor would instantly give GB the most dangerous running 1-2 punch in the league. If either RB missed time there would be virtually zero drop-off.

Taylor gives GB the best shot at an immediate and noticeable Offensive weapon (of this group) and allows GB to use Aaron Jones as a dual purpose Slot option and create a total mismatch with many LBs. If GB combined that RB selection at #30 and made a move into the top #50 (where they could also likely still get Ruiz) to get one of these top #5-6 WR they would be instantly better on Offense. They not only should plug O resources this draft, they’re just simply long overdue.

While not flashy picks thus far, GB also now has the ability to wait until day 2/early day 3 to get the best of a LB, WR, OL or even DT.

McCaffrey was a far better prospect, and went top 10 in the draft.

How was he undervalued?

Reaction score
I like Tristan Wirfs. He’s an absolute physical beast for his size and I think he could be the next Bryan Bulaga type with a minor amount of refining. He also excels at both Zone and Gap blocking.

As a bonus he’s shown his flexibility at both Tackle positions and recently showed off his 36.5” vertical and 4.85X40 quickness at a slim and trim 322lbs.
Jerry Rice said he would hate to make him mad and then try to outrun him. ;)

There’s a reasonable chance he gets picked #17-32 overall range. But if he was there at #30 I’d snatch him.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I like Tristan Wirfs. He’s an absolute physical beast for his size and I think he could be the next Bryan Bulaga type with a minor amount of refining. As a bonus he’s shown his flexibility at both Tackle positions and recently showed off his 36.5” vertical and 4.85X40 quickness at a slim and trim 322lbs.
Jerry Rice said he would hate to make him mad and then try to outrun him. ;)

You willing to trade #30, #62, and next year's 1st round pick to go get him?

Reaction score
McCaffrey was a far better prospect, and went top 10 in the draft.

How was he undervalued?
. There were very few people who called him that high in the draft. If your going to challenge that.. be prepared to prove your case.

Show me the sources that rated him “far better” than Taylor (Pre draft).

Reaction score
You willing to trade #30, #62, and next year's 1st round pick to go get him?
Where did I say that? Do you just do that to irritate people? Because it’s become awful regular and that chip you got is not normal.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mims. That's the guy I'm hoping the Packers draft this year. If he's not there, trade into upper seconds and draft Pittman. Team needs a receiver BADLY.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Where did I say that? Do you just do that to irritate people? Because it’s become awful regular and that chip you got is not normal.

It's a question, OldSchool, not an accusation. You said that you really liked Wirfs. Wirfs is at least projected to go about 18-20 spots before the Packers pick. So I'm asking you if you would pay the price to go get him that high.

. There were very few people who called him that high in the draft. If your going to challenge that.. be prepared to prove your case.

He was pretty broadly predicted to go in the top 10 before the draft.

Here are all the nfl.com guys' mock drafts for 2017: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...mike-mayock-mock-draft-two-qbmotivated-trades

Notice where McCaffrey is projected.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If WR and OT get cleaned out, I'd be open to Jaylon Johnson, CB out of Utah. He'd have a role as a rookie and would project to upgrade over Kevin King in 2021.
I don’t know the guy but trust your assessment. I’d just rather see a WR, OT, ILB, or DL picked way before a CB. Doesn’t mean I don’t have reservations on King, I do. Would just like to see these other areas plugged first. Now if there’s a value guy who drops to rounds 5 through 7, sure, go for it. Our secondary is above average, but not by a lot.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jaylon Johnson at 30th Overall? There are way too many CBs that should still be available at 30th. But why are we looking for a CB at 30th Overall anyway is the bigger question.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Most mocks had him quite high. Dante's showed, so I'm not going to.

I personally, rate him far better than Taylor. I can't think of anything Taylor does better, and Caff didn't have the fumble issues that Taylor has.

By and large, I'm just not a fan of RB's in the first round, and Taylor isn't good enough to displace that notion in my mind. He's not even the best back in the class.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't want Taylor on my team. He fumbles too much. He turned it over regularly in college. Its not going to get easier to hang onto the ball in the NFL. Could he somehow do a 180 and learn to hang onto the ball? Maybe, but I wouldn't bet a high draft pick on it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Jaylon Johnson at 30th Overall? There are way too many CBs that should still be available at 30th. But why are we looking for a CB at 30th Overall anyway is the bigger question.

There are two cornerbacks that I would take over Johnson, and they will both be long gone by pick #30.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So much depends on free agency.

Say that by draft day, they've extended Bulaga, signed a significant pass catcher, and locked down a Martinez replacement, but have not addressed cornerback with a veteran.

The CB3 on the Packers last year, Tramon, played 761 snaps. Should we really discount a corner at #30 when there are that many quality snaps to replace? Not to mention that King is an inconsistent, oft injured starter in a contract year.

CB would be close to a must-draft in that scenario, in my opinion.
I agree with you. After two drafts where the first two selections were corners, the Pack still finds itself as only adequate at that position group. That said, WR, OT, ILB, and DL present greater needs (IMO). So they address the secondary through FA, or through the draft, but corner will have to wait. Again, just my opinion. King has looked good when healthy, but that’s a problem. Josh Jackson is a bust. That leaves Jaime Alexander at the top, followed by a lot of “maybes”.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Did you miss the disclaimer?

"If WR and OL are cleaned out..."

Yes, this.

I also continue to think that most fans are totally underrating the need at corner. If they don't sign anyone, then they essentially need a starter. If they bring back Tramon, then they have very little depth behind the three "starters." When one is injury prone and another is 37, that's a recipe for disaster.

I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
For me, CB is an important position to keep our eye on for a number of reasons. First, just the sheer importance of the position, as well as usually needing 3 starters. Second, is the money it seems to take to land a decent free agent CB. Add to that, the fact that even some of these free agent CB's that have a great season or 2, get paid huge $$'s because of it and then some don't perform up to their contracts. The final aspect is what appears to be a pretty high hit or miss rate in the draft with CB's, at least if I look at the Packers success rate over the last 6 years.

So yes, I agree, CB is almost always going to feel like a position of need and like many say, you can't have too many good ones. However, how much of your resources (draft picks and cap $$) can you afford to keep spending on them? Meanwhile, other positions aren't getting what they need. I do believe the Smith Brothers and an improved DL can make the play of our CB's better, even without a large injection of new talent to the group.

Imagine had Gute not signed the Smith Brothers, but kept Matthews and Perry last year, I don't think signing a $16M/year CB would have improved the 2019 defense as much as what he actually did.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
For me, CB is an important position to keep our eye on for a number of reasons. First, just the sheer importance of the position, as well as usually needing 3 starters. Second, is the money it seems to take to land a decent free agent CB. Add to that, the fact that even some of these free agent CB's that have a great season or 2, get paid huge $$'s because of it and then some don't perform up to their contracts. The final aspect is what appears to be a pretty high hit or miss rate in the draft with CB's, at least if I look at the Packers success rate over the last 6 years.

So yes, I agree, CB is almost always going to feel like a position of need and like many say, you can't have too many good ones. However, how much of your resources (draft picks and cap $$) can you afford to keep spending on them? Meanwhile, other positions aren't getting what they need. I do believe the Smith Brothers and an improved DL can make the play of our CB's better, even without a large injection of new talent to the group.

Imagine had Gute not signed the Smith Brothers, but kept Matthews and Perry last year, I don't think signing a $16M/year CB would have improved the 2019 defense as much as what he actually did.

Yeah, I'm not advocating that the position should be a priority over adding a WR, but in the scenario that either WR gets gutted by #30 (unlikely), or that there are so many of a certain quality that they want to wait (maybe a little more likely), I could see it being an option.

My favorite scenario this year to take advantage of the WR depth would just be to trade down for some extra draft capital and take one.

But they had better take a corner at some point during the first two days of the draft.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Makes sense, especially the part about keeping Perry and CMIII. Scary. And yeah, GB’s CB group as it stands is a little above average. That’s not enough to get to the SB. As much as I love Williams, it’s time for him to retire. So at some point - FA, draft, trade - Gluten has to address CB. I just wouldn’t reach as high as GB has done in the past in the draft.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are two cornerbacks that I would take over Johnson, and they will both be long gone by pick #30.

Okay, I'll reveal my hand here:

1. Okudah
2. Diggs
3. Henderson
4. Fulton
5. Arnette
6. Terrell
7. Gladney/Johnson (Tied)

Including the 3 QBs, Young, and Simmons

If all those are gone by 30th Overall....hell, I might as well mock Ruggs or Jefferson to us instead.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You keep spending (or drafting) on corner until you have a least two, preferably three, good ones on contract for the next 2-3 years. Right now the Packers have one corner that looks reliably good.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You keep spending (or drafting) on corner until you have a least two, preferably three, good ones on contract for the next 2-3 years. Right now the Packers have one corner that looks reliably good.
Its right up there with position importance.

1. QB
2. OLB
3. CB and OT (tie)