Pick #30, Who are your favorite prospects?

Who do you take at 30?

• Grant Delpit S LSU

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Jonathan Taylor RB Wisconsin

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Justin Herbert QB Oregon

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Cesar Ruiz OL Michigan

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
H

HardRightEdge

The other part of this that we may potentially see play out, how will cancelled team workouts, practices, scrimmages effect the play of Rookies in 2020, if there is a 2020 season?
Quite a bit, I'd say.

From that perspective, you might lean toward the good route runners with a shallower learning curve, or at least slot/perimeter flexibility as a backup with maybe some late season contributions, or a multi-tool player to fit into specific plays and match-ups.

But do you want to reach and compromise value in the process? I don't think so. If a player with these traits presents good value anyway from a two year perspective, then great, but looking for guys who are more NFL ready with lower upsides is not a way to run a railroad.

The other way to go is to look toward good value for 2021 needs and risks: OT, CB, or a high upside perimeter WR who needs to sharpen some aspects of his game while learning a foreign pro scheme which usually turns out to be the case regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we miss on any of the ILB free agents, then Murray or Queen are at the top of the list.

Otherwise, an OT is next as we can still get a WR at 62. Thomas, Jackson or Jones (in that order) would be the pick. We are at a point where we need to think about our next generation of OTs. Bulaga played better and maybe into a big $ FA contract and Bahk played well below his normal level.

Then WR. Jefferson, Aiyuk or Reagor of those who may be there in that order. At least that's today's order.

Next I would look at a DE, Blaylock or a CB Henderson then Diggs.

Given all that, my hope is Murray, Thomas or Jefferson.
Update:

My list is now looking like this for guys who might be there:

1. ILB Queen
2. OT Josh Jones
3. OT Austin Jackson
4. WR Josh Jefferson
5. ILB Kenneth Murray
6. WR Reagor
7. WR Ayuik

And I think we would end up with Jackson from this list. But I would bet we trade in one direction or the other.

H

HardRightEdge

Yeah, that scenario would not surprise me.
I'm hedging that bet with one long shot first round player, Queen, in a possible trade up, or even a drop to #30 with a possible chill on this type of player given the White/Bush less than impressive rookie performances.

It's a long shot since the Packers have a history of going down board for ILBs and the spend on the Kirksey signing, but the Burks pick to pair with Martinez seemed to indicate a shift in thinking even he though Burks has not been the player they expected.

With Kirksey calling the plays, Queen could focus on his game in year 1. You get the coverage ability from the nickle ILB position (or the so-called "dime backer" position) in Queen when paired with Kirksey to take on backs, TEs, slots with matchup flexibility, along with true dime zone drops. You get sideline-to-sideline speed and improving reads between the tackles. You'd have two 3-down players at ILB which opens up disguise possibilities in base and nickel.

Absent Queen, we're still looking for a guy or guys. Absent a 3-down guy, a big, strong safety / box safety type with some speed for that role might be in the cards (a popular option of late), at least for the 75% nickel/dime snaps, and a low volume thumper for run down base rotation which increasingly does not include 1st. down with many opponents.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While it would be nice to have 2 picks, if not more in the 2nd ro
The other way to go is to look toward good value for 2021 needs and risks: OT, CB, or a high upside perimeter WR who needs to sharpen some aspects of his game while learning a foreign pro scheme which usually turns out to be the case regardless.

I really think this has to be in the back of Gute's mind. Not that it isn't in every draft, but given what has been going on leading up to this one and the uncertainties ahead, I would be more open to taking a chance on players that due to a current injury or other factors, appear to be great year 2 candidates. In most years, these "red shirt rookies" tend to slide down draft boards and that is totally understandable in a "normal year", this year, I might give them a longer second look.

H

HardRightEdge

While it would be nice to have 2 picks, if not more in the 2nd ro

I really think this has to be in the back of Gute's mind. Not that it isn't in every draft, but given what has been going on leading up to this one and the uncertainties ahead, I would be more open to taking a chance on players that due to a current injury or other factors, appear to be great year 2 candidates. In most years, these "red shirt rookies" tend to slide down draft boards and that is totally understandable in a "normal year", this year, I might give them a longer second look.
As for taking an injury risk, it depends on the player and his injuries. Too many are never quite right afterward. A medical expert with all the reports in front of him can make an educated guess.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As for taking an injury risk, it depends on the player and his injuries. Too many are never quite right afterward. A medical expert with all the reports in front of him can make an educated guess.

Past drafts had guys like Jaylon Smith and Myles Jack, to name 2. Their late season injuries made them drop from top 10 picks to 2nd round picks. I honestly haven't paid much attention to the draft or the prospects this year, to know if there are similar types of players. All I was trying to say was, of all years, this one might be a year where I would possibly take a flyer on a guy I don't expect much out of in year 1, but could turn out to be a great player year 2 and beyond. Guessing this might come into play with the Packers and a QB. Some are predicting early rounds, I think we will see Gute grab someone like FI's James Morgan, Iowa's Nate Stanley or Michigan's Shea Patterson later in the draft.

H

HardRightEdge

I would say that what we've seen in the past is more the media catching on to who teams like at pro days and visits, rather than guys actually moving up team boards. But the lack of data on the athletic testing is certainly unique.
A couple of thoughts.

Neither the media, nor you, nor I, know who is moving up or down team boards other than rumors here or there which could be misdirection or speculation. At least a visit, virtual or on-site as in past years, is an indication of some level of interest. The team many not like what comes out of the interview or they may like the player at a point on the board but somebody else takes him higher. We rarely if ever get the inside scoop. In Packerland, many on-site visitors have been low round guys or priority UDFA guys they want to get a jump on. Gutekunst, however, is using a lot of them for higher pick prospects which Thompson avoided, which can result in this:

"...eight of the 27 players who visited Green Bay last spring ended up as Packers one way or another; four of them were 2018 draft picks (Oren Burks, J’Mon Moore, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, and Kendall Donnerson) while another four were acquired either as undrafted free agents or added mid-season (Tim Boyle, Gerhard de Beer, Natrell Jamerson, and Connor Sheehy)"

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...isits-tracker-montez-sweat-drew-lock-aj-brown

Further, the reported virtual visits lists have notable absences from the leaked on-site visit list of invitees, which might tell you something. Like when the Packers tried to set up an on-site visit with Daniel Jones last year but the "timing did not work out" which sounds like code for, "the player's interest did not work out", given other higher priority invites or seeking to discourage interest altogehter.

As for the data vacuum with Pro Day cancellations, there also seems to be a growing agent strike, with more guys skipping bowl games and more guys being selective about which measured Combine drills they participate in.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the day is here. I honestly don't know who I want. I only hope I am not disappointed after we pick. That is if we pick tonight.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well, the day is here. I honestly don't know who I want. I only hope I am not disappointed after we pick. That is if we pick tonight.

"The Green Bay Packers have traded the 30th pick, along with the 136th pick to the Indianapolis Colts for the 34th and 75th pick."

Indy also has the 44th pick in the 2nd Round, so maybe if there is really someone they want at #30, their 34th pick is worth the trade. I wouldn't be nearly as happy with Indy's 44th instead of the their 34th. I think to trade out of round 1, you really need to get an early 2nd round and other compensation.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"The Green Bay Packers have traded the 30th pick, along with the 136th pick to the Indianapolis Colts for the 34th and 75th pick."

Indy also has the 44th pick in the 2nd Round, so maybe if there is really someone they want at #30, their 34th pick is worth the trade. I wouldn't be nearly as happy with Indy's 44th instead of the their 34th. I think to trade out of round 1, you really need to get an early 2nd round and other compensation.
I would love that trade!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The reason Indy could want to do this very thing (I've predicted it as well...not that rich but a deal for our 30th involving their 34th) is because Rivers is a stop gap...maybe one year deal...if Love falls to 30 a team drafting him in the first remember gets that fifth year option ONLY first rounders do for the team. There is bonafide value in that.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reason Indy could want to do this very thing (I've predicted it as well...not that rich but a deal for our 30th involving their 34th) is because Rivers is a stop gap...maybe one year deal...if Love falls to 30 a team drafting him in the first remember gets that fifth year option ONLY first rounders do for the team. There is bonafide value in that.
Yes there is value in that but not enough to change my mind in making that trade. Although I have already said that I think Jordon Love is a very interesting prospect. That could change my mind.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes there is value in that but not enough to change my mind in making that trade. Although I have already said that I think Jordon Love is a very interesting prospect. That could change my mind.

I love Jordan Love and will go on record saying I think in 4 to 5 years he will be the best of the first round QBs this year. Still not something this team needs to do just a breath away from the a SB run now.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If they trade up for a linebacker or Justin Jefferson, I'm going to be pretty frustrated.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they trade up for a linebacker or Justin Jefferson, I'm going to be pretty frustrated.

I will never hope I'm wrong more than this...but I'd agree, we trade up to get Jefferson I'm gonna be drunk and pissed tonight.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If GB gives up #62 and #30 to move up, then as far as 2020 is concerned, this is basically a one player draft.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If GB gives up #62 and #30 to move up, then as far as 2020 is concerned, this is basically a one player draft.

No way do I see giving up our 2nd Rd, that only moves us up to 16 -20ish. Would have to be a pretty special player that fell. I think if Gute moves up, it will be using our 3rd rounder and there again, only if its a guy that they covet is sitting there at 23ish.

I think we see the Dolphins moving around a lot. They have 14 total picks, with 5 of those being in the first 2 rounds (three 1st round picks). Talking about a team with Fire Power!

H

HardRightEdge

Going after a middle linebacker?
The only one in range I'd be satisfied with is Queen up a couple of slots. Many things are possible at a variety of positions if he wants to peddle future picks.
That would also imply the cluster he spoke of is 4th. round on down, kinda puzzling, unless he brings future picks into play.

Members online

Latest posts