Phillip Fulmer..... LOLOLOL

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Phillip Fulmer Head Coach of the Tennesse Volunteers on his teams 27 - 10 win.

"We retired Reggie White's number today before the game, so it was easy to get the team emotionally fired up and ready to go on all cylinders."

How do you feel about that Mike Sherman? How do you feel about that?

R.P.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I am not the biggest Sherman fan, however if you as a professional football player cannot get yourself jacked up for Reggie's game or any other game, what are you doing in the NFL.

Don't get me wrong, Sherman and Co. have blame in this, but as a player there is no need for anyone to motivate you, if you love to play the game it will show on Sunday's. It should show on offdays at practice as well.

IMO this is what we are lacking right now, someone to step up and consistently make a game changing play to lead this team with emotion. Being bias like I am, a guy that thumps people on D usually does the trick. Collins, can you here me, smack someone tonight.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do some of you folks fail to grasp about the modern day player....well, it is this:

These are not Butkus and Nitschke type players...guys who bleed football. Rather, the modern athlete is the MTV generation...many of whom are in the game for nothing but money, parties and chicks. More than any recent generation of players, these guys need to be motivated by someone other than themselves. Dare I ask any of you to go to any major college campus and compare the cultural difference between these kids and who you were at that age.

Bottom line is, you have people today who act like 18 year old kids who are in fact in their late 20s to early 30s. A little "Peter Pan Syndrome" that is much more widespread and tolerated than when we were younger. For the record, I am 42...so it is not that large a generational reach.

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to see some fire from the Players themselves. Maybe someone could honor Gilbert with a "shovel lift" after a sack.(Must get the sack first). I would love to see a some high fiving and brotherhood in the secondary. They seen to be off on their own little islands. When they were good, you would see the unit a whole clap their hands after a shut down of the pass. How about some head butting. Some grit. Emotion builds and it is contagious. Offence feeds off the plays of the Defence. With a "bigillion" position coaches, they need to get fired up on the sidelines and go "Fritz Shurmur" on their individual units! Maybe after a while, these players can do it for themselves. I,m not talking pulling a "Mark Roman" and "blame your teammate" but pulling a " Leroy Butler" and instead encourage your teamate.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Not that I disagree with your opinions of society as a whole, but look at all the solid teams out there and find the common thread, they have a few talented fireplug that set the emotional tone on the field. What I am saying is that we as a team are lacking the spark that makes the engine roll so far this year. We have players on this team that will begin to pick it up and become that spark, we just haven't found them yet.

With the large amount of turnover of veterans this year, we need to find new spark plugs. On offense you have Brett and maybe Driver. On D, Barnett maybe, Harris at times. As a coach you have to find the field generals that you rev up. We are missing that in which a Reggie brought more so than talent, emotional leadership on the field.

With all that said, Sherman & Co still have blame in this, but players make themselves great, coaches just help on the way.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, perhaps then we should give a little more weight to the psychological profiles of players than their 40 times. All I want is football players, not athletes who happen to play football.

Does it help that we have drafted the dumbest team in the league over the last few years. Compare that to the intelligent, but physically limited, roster of the Patriots.

Assignment sure, understand the game, buy into what is being taught.

For me, I think too many players on this team have seen Sherman/Rossley make too many critical mistakes to trust them anymore. This team reeks of tuning out MS.

Pack93z

Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Well, perhaps then we should give a little more weight to the psychological profiles of players than their 40 times. All I want is football players, not athletes who happen to play football.

Does it help that we have drafted the dumbest team in the league over the last few years. Compare that to the intelligent, but physically limited, roster of the Patriots.

Assignment sure, understand the game, buy into what is being taught.

For me, I think too many players on this team have seen Sherman/Rossley make too many critical mistakes to trust them anymore. This team reeks of tuning out MS.
Totally agreed, I rather have a Butler who was not the best athlete, but brought it every weekend, than a Hunt whom rarely would show up.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
What do some of you folks fail to grasp about the modern day player....well, it is this:

These are not Butkus and Nitschke type players...guys who bleed football. Rather, the modern athlete is the MTV generation...many of whom are in the game for nothing but money, parties and chicks. More than any recent generation of players, these guys need to be motivated by someone other than themselves. Dare I ask any of you to go to any major college campus and compare the cultural difference between these kids and who you were at that age.

Bottom line is, you have people today who act like 18 year old kids who are in fact in their late 20s to early 30s. A little "Peter Pan Syndrome" that is much more widespread and tolerated than when we were younger. For the record, I am 42...so it is not that large a generational reach.

I hear what you're saying, but could you have been any more condescending?

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:

These are not Butkus and Nitschke type players...guys who bleed football. Rather, the modern athlete is the MTV generation...many of whom are in the game for nothing but money, parties and chicks.
Right on Digs. The game has changed. And not just from the Nitscke/Butkus Era(always put Ray ahead of ****), but from just a few years. (holdouts, big money rookie contracts without taking a snap, not going where your drafted:well Elway did start that but I think w'ere going to see a lot more:,Lack of morals off the feild, on and on and on.) Less "Team" and more "Me". I think in the long run it will be the team that pull together as a "Team" will have greater sucess than the ones that go out and bring in big name Free agent based on their individual play more than their Character. (See: Minn., Washington, Oakland(sorry R.P.).
They are all gifted athletes to just make it to an NFL team. Teamwork, Team drive, a Team Goal, will always bring out the best in them

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No condescention intended...just frustration with the "players do not need to be motivated, they are professionals" defense of this coaching staff's failure to prepare their team.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Digs-

I am not "defending" the coaches, I am placing the blame of not being ready to play on those where it should be blamed. Those that are playing the game. I will rip @ this coaching staff and both former and current GM as will anyone else. The makeup of this team has many questions, and I think on field leadership is a great big one. Figure out whom is to blame?

OP
OP
R

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
America has changed so heretofore have the players in the NFL.

People do not sit down and have dinner together as families any more.

Drive down any suburban street and there are no kids playing outside any more. When I was a kid I had to be home when the street lights came on, but spent every second I could outside playing road hockey, football, baseball or even kick the can.

The hard work and family values that built self pride, family and team commitment are gone.

Kids today make their own Microwave pzza pockets for dinner when ever they feel like eating, and spend the rest of the time by themselves playing against a cyber opponent on a computer screen.

No wonder todays athletes are self centered.

I am 45 years old... I would not step into the fountain of youth right now even if I found it. Heck I would not want to be a ten year old kid in America right now. It was a blast to be ten years old in 1970.

RP

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
America has changed so heretofore have the players in the NFL.

People do not sit down and have dinner together as families any more.

Drive down any suburban street and there are no kids playing outside any more. When I was a kid I had to be home when the street lights came on, but spent every second I could outside playing road hockey, football, baseball or even kick the can.

The hard work and family values that built self pride, family and team commitment are gone.

Kids today make their own Microwave pzza pockets for dinner when ever they feel like eating, and spend the rest of the time by themselves playing against a cyber opponent on a computer screen.

No wonder todays athletes are self centered.

I am 45 years old... I would not step into the fountain of youth right now even if I found it. Heck I would not want to be a ten year old kid in America right now. It was a blast to be ten years old in 1970.

RP
Hi, RaiderPride!

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
RP said,

"Heck I would not want to be a ten year old kid in America right now. It was a blast to be ten years old in 1970."

Right on RP...the music and the drugs were better back then!
(oops..forgot this was a Packer board...only kidding folks!....)

(Hell..we used to hunt, fish, trap, play football, baseball, ride dirtbikes..save up our milk money to buy beer...(all the good stuff)...and be miles away from home for hours and hours with our mothers not knowing where the hell we were...and nothing bad ever happened..(luckily)...we seemed to have turned out aaaiigghht!)

Pack93z said,

"With the large amount of turnover of veterans this year, we need to find new spark plugs. On offense you have Brett and maybe Driver. On D, Barnett maybe, Harris at times. As a coach you have to find the field generals that you rev up. We are missing that in which a Reggie brought more so than talent, emotional leadership on the field."

Sorry to disagree Pack93z but motivation comes from the TOP down...Human Psychology dictates that football teams reflect the personality of their coaches (leaders), and if you have a monotone, nebishy, effete, pansy for a coach..that is the kind of team you will field...soft...

Other teams have coaches who can motivate them....and they play with fire! (Ravens, Jaguars, Panthers, Eagles, Bucs...come to mind..there are others...just not the PAckers..right now)

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never having played on a championship team of ANY kind, maybe I'm wrong here...But does the rah-rah fighting spirit come before or after a few big wins? I remember the agony of being pushed around on the football field(small Catholic school) and not once did I feel like cheering. But if by chance(or an act of God) we had pulled an upset, I would have been yelling like a banshee. There is nothing,IMHO, like winning big to make you want to cheer and raise hell. If the Packers were playing well and winning, I'm sure you'd see a lot more fire and comradeship on the field. Leaders would then step up...as they always do because everyone wants to lead a bunch of winners.

Latest posts