PFT Speculating on Dillon again.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PFT is once again throwing out Corey Dillon as a possibility to the Pack. IMO I wouldn't like this move - unless it came REALLY cheap. Thoughts?

PS www.nutcan.com

Viking lovers everywhere - please visit.

Woodson_fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
from www.profootballtalk.com

POSTED 11:13 a.m. EDT, June 25, 2007

COULD COREY DILLON HEAD TO GREEN BAY? by Michael David Smith

Our report this morning that former Green Bay director of player development George Koonce hinted in a radio interview that the Packers could soon add a big-name player on offense raises the obvious question of who that player could be. There aren't many big names available, although wide receiver/ESPN analyst Keyshawn Johnson, soon-to-be-available Dolphins quarterback Daunte Culpepper and Chiefs running back Larry Johnson were the first names that came to mind.

One reader suggested another name: former Patriots running back Corey Dillon.

When the Patriots released Dillon in early March, there were widespread reports that Dillon was thinking about retirement but would consider playing for a team that would make him its featured back. Since then, Dillon has been tight-lipped about his future, but the Packers are one of the few teams that might consider signing Dillon with the understanding that he'll head into the season as the unquestioned starter. The Packers' depth chart shows Vernand Morency, Brandon Jackson, Noah Herron and DeShawn Wynn at running back. That doesn't inspire much confidence.

Could Dillon still function as a featured back? Although he turns 33 in October, he probably could. He led the team in rushing with 812 yards last season, and according to the advanced Football Outsiders stats, Dillon provided both more total value and more value on a per-play basis to the Patriots than his successor, Laurence Maroney, did last season.

And in addition to bolstering the running game, adding Dillon could accomplish something else: Placating Brett Favre. Lord Favre complained bitterly when the Packers didn't trade for wide receiver Randy Moss, and he might show up to training camp in a better mood if the front office gives him someone closer to his own age to play with.

At this point, the possibility of the Packers signing Dillon is just speculation. But if the Packers are serious about adding some veteran offensive firepower, Dillon is a name to keep in mind.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have The Packers ever signed anyone who they have speculated on in the last 5 years?
I am really asking because I don't remember anybody.

OP
OP
P

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have The Packers ever signed anyone who they have speculated on in the last 5 years?
I am really asking because I don't remember anybody.

Woodson the only one I can think of.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Green_Bay_Packers said:
Corey Dillon is in retirement though ain't he?

He would "consider" coming back for "the right price" is what I read on nfl.com. I'm sure the article is still on there somewhere. The article above said something about being the feature back, but I only read about money from nfl.com. There's no way he'll be the feature back if he comes to Green Bay . . . he'll still be sharing the load with at LEAST one other back . .

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman wasn't afraid to throw money around though. Glenn was one of the guys he signed that actually worked out.

Too bad he traded him the following year.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bit about Koonce "hinting" at the Packers bringing in a "big-name player" is true. As to whether it's Dillion (who would pretty much be one of the only big names guys left), has yet to be determined.

Take anything you read on PFT with a grain of salt. A lot of their rumors turn out to be mostly just false speculation.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always liked Corey Dillon I thought he was a good player last year even when he split carries with Laurence Maroney. If he was on the pack? I wouldn't mind having him he isn't that old and last year he looked if he started he could of been good again. If he cost too much though, I would pass on him.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless Jackson and Morency both prove to be worthless, this 'll never happen.

Too old. Too expensive. No thanks. As Dillon himself might say, "Not today... not tomorrow..."

Devil_Doc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see him come in, he's a good veteran back, and maybe we can get him for cheap. He'd be a good "teacher" for our younger backs. When the Pats needed one or two yards for a first, who'd they go to? Dillon is a monster and I think still has one or more decent years left on him.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
anybody can make guesses.
Thats right!
And as i always say, IF the guy guessesright, he will beat his chest and yell how HE said it first. When they guess wrong, they slink off and ignore it.

Packerfanforever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's too old for what we're looking for. Ted Thompson only wants unexperiened rookies. Why is it so hard to get a playmaker? Does anybody else fear that players simply dont wanna come to Green Bay?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's too old for what we're looking for. Ted Thompson only wants unexperiened rookies. Why is it so hard to get a playmaker? Does anybody else fear that players simply dont wanna come to Green Bay?
I don't fear it.
We have a GM that just doesn't want to over pay washed up players.

Packerfanforever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would just feel more comfortable with our offense if we added another experienced playmaker heading into the season. Then again, I think we sometimes forget that Koren Robinson will be back for most of the season.

Members online

Latest posts