Pete Prisco CBS Sports NFL TEAM POWER RANKINGS

garyhogeboomsghost

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...r-doing-aaron-rodgers-no-favors-in-offseason/

^^^Full article above. To be expected, defending Champs ***** Mahomes and the Chiefs are at Number 1. Pack slip from 2 to 7. Here is that Prisco said about us.

As much as I think quarterback Aaron Rodgers can still get them there, the Packers did little to help him out this offseason, especially in the draft. Not only did Green Bay avoid helping their star passer, but they also traded up in the first round to take his replacement. Green Bay general manager Brian Gutekunst had an outstanding offseason last year, but that hasn't been the case this time around. There is no way to justify the Love pick in my mind. None. So don't even try. THERE IS NO EXCUSE. Rodgers can be difficult and petulant-- we know that -- but this idea that second-year coach Matt LaFleur can't co-exist with him is absurd. The Packers needed to get him receiver help or some help to fix a run defense that was terrible last season. They did neither.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is certainly a belief out there that the only way to improve a team is through the draft and FAs. The idea of player development and coaching adjustments/developments don't exist. Typically a team in the 2nd year of a new head coach does better. At least it seems that way to me.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...r-doing-aaron-rodgers-no-favors-in-offseason/

^^^Full article above. To be expected, defending Champs ***** Mahomes and the Chiefs are at Number 1. Pack slip from 2 to 7. Here is that Prisco said about us.

There is a running joke every year that I pick the Green Bay Packers to win the Super Bowl. I won't be doing it this year. Yes, the Packers are coming off a 13-3 season that saw them a game away from the Super Bowl, but they've done little this offseason to give me reason to think they can take the next step.

As much as I think quarterback Aaron Rodgers can still get them there, the Packers did little to help him out this offseason, especially in the draft. Not only did Green Bay avoid helping their star passer, but they also traded up in the first round to take his replacement.

That's insanity, considering Rodgers can still play at a high level and this team has talent.

Drafting Utah State quarterback Jordan Love in the first round and running back A.J. Dillon in the second has some saying it's just the Packers sending a message to Rodgers. Is this the message: We might waste a few more years with your talents?

Green Bay general manager Brian Gutekunst had an outstanding offseason last year, but that hasn't been the case this time around. There is no way to justify the Love pick in my mind. None. Don't even try. THERE IS NO EXCUSE.

Rodgers can be petulant and he can be difficult -- we already know that -- but this idea that second-year coach Matt LaFleur can't co-exist with him is absurd. The Packers needed to get him receiver help or some help to fix a run defense that was terrible last season.

Not doing so is a bad move, and it's why the Packers have dropped two spots here in my post-draft Power Rankings to the No. 7 spot. While other teams were getting better, the Packers did little to help in 2020.

Posting Articles:
There has been a number of occasions where a user wants to post an article from another site. We are completely IN FAVOR of posting articles from another since that creates a good discussion on this site. However, there are some guidelines that need to be followed.

The most basic concept when posting articles from another site is to NOT copy the entire article and post it on this site. Ideally, you would ONLY be copying the first couple of paragraphs with a link back to the original article. Link should be clearly visible. Also, you should wrap those couple of paragraphs in a quote tag.

The one thing that NEVER should be done is copying articles from PAY sites. We do not allow this at all and could get us in trouble if we post content from paid sites.

Please fix

Ty

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is certainly a belief out there that the only way to improve a team is through the draft and FAs. The idea of player development and coaching adjustments/developments don't exist. Typically a team in the 2nd year of a new head coach does better. At least it seems that way to me.
If everyone other than optimistic, loyal Green Bay fans are saying that it was a bad move, maybe it actually was a bad move . If fans of the teams in the division are praising GB for making this move, then maybe it was a really bad move

OP
OP
garyhogeboomsghost

garyhogeboomsghost

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posting Articles:
There has been a number of occasions where a user wants to post an article from another site. We are completely IN FAVOR of posting articles from another since that creates a good discussion on this site. However, there are some guidelines that need to be followed.

The most basic concept when posting articles from another site is to NOT copy the entire article and post it on this site. Ideally, you would ONLY be copying the first couple of paragraphs with a link back to the original article. Link should be clearly visible. Also, you should wrap those couple of paragraphs in a quote tag.

The one thing that NEVER should be done is copying articles from PAY sites. We do not allow this at all and could get us in trouble if we post content from paid sites.

Please fix

Ty

longtimefan, if your post was directed toward me, I apologize. I meant no disrespect to either you individually or to the board, collectively. I did link the entire article clearly at the top, and with all due respect and in my defense, I did not even come close to posting the "entire article." the entire article is the power rankings of all 32 NFL teams with comments for each individual team...I merely posted a snippet (compared to the whole) regarding the Packers.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually think he is pretty spot on in the rankings, however I struggle to think he had to get things rushed out the door as he doesn't hardly discuss any of the offseason acquisitions or speculate what or how the draft picks fit in....yet again the brunt of the negativity circulates around Love pick and Love pick alone. VERY justified in his critique of it...I don't disagree I think it was dumb. BUT, I do believe we have an upgraded WR room, an upgraded ILB room as well...slight downgrade in the starting OL...upgrade though in the OL as a whole. Truly the only position I'd argue we clearly are worse than last year is CB, and it is yet to be seen if we will be progressing it at all from where we are.

I'd just personally rather he speak to all of what has transpired the entire off season not just Day 1 of the draft mainly.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan, if your post was directed toward me, I apologize. I meant no disrespect to either you individually or to the board, collectively. I did link the entire article clearly at the top, and with all due respect and in my defense, I did not even come close to posting the "entire article." the entire article is the power rankings of all 32 NFL teams with comments for each individual team...I merely posted a snippet (compared to the whole) regarding the Packers.
I know you didn't mean and disrespect..but it's a rule..

We ask for a few paragraphs, you posted 8? And you didn't use the quote tags

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to insult anyone, but that seems a bit nitpicky. It was not an overwhelming long article, not from a pay site, and feels much more inconvenient now that people have to go to a different website to see what was said and attract all of the spyware which comes with it when a few more short paragraphs would have done the job.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to insult anyone, but that seems a bit nitpicky. It was not an overwhelming long article, not from a pay site, and feels much more inconvenient now that people have to go to a different website to see what was said and attract all of the spyware which comes with it when a few more short paragraphs would have done the job.
The content is available on other sites as a business. They pay people to write stuff. People pay them to advertise. If you take the content you take away their business. Take away the business and the writers wont bother doing it..

Its stealing and it hurts us all in the long run.

OP
OP
garyhogeboomsghost

garyhogeboomsghost

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know you didn't mean and disrespect..but it's a rule..

We ask for a few paragraphs, you posted 8? And you didn't use the quote tags

Longtimefan, we are both reasonable men, so in the spirit of Cheesehead compromise, I will go back and edit my post. I realize that with this ongoing quarantine situation we are all in, tensions and tempers are both running a little hot these days with everyone, so I will do my part to de-fuse this particular situation. I have removed 7 of the paragraphs and edited it down to one summation paragraph with the rest of the article linked at the top, as requested. I have also used the quote tags

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
We have had people that plagiarized Other writers and sites. you want to pay for an attorney?

Rules are in place for a reason

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Longtimefan, we are both reasonable men, so in the spirit of Cheesehead compromise, I will go back and edit my post. I realize that with this ongoing quarantine situation we are all in, tensions and tempers are both running a little hot these days with everyone, so I will do my part to de-fuse this particular situation. I have removed 7 of the paragraphs and edited it down to one summation paragraph with the rest of the article linked at the top, as requested. I have also used the quote tags
Defuse a rule you broke?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Speaking of power rankings...

I think it's true that personnel wise, the Packers haven't really made too much progress this off-season. I think you have to look to in-house development for the biggest gains, and of course all teams are hoping for that. We will see if the Packers can be one of the teams that sees real results out of it. I'm optimistic that the offense will take a step forward as they grow in the system.

But what doesn't get brought up is that the main rival for the division, the Vikings, has gone backwards pretty substantially.

They lost their best WR.

Their under-performing OL isn't going to look any different.

They lost Griffen and Joseph off of the defensive line and made no significant additions there.

They may still lose Anthony Harris, the best player in their secondary in 2019.

And even if they retain Harris, their cornerback group is Mike Hughes, who has not been good, and three rookies.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

1. Chiefs (A-W)
2. Ravens (A-N)
3. Saints (N-S)
4. 49ers (N-W)
5. Bills (A-E)
6. Seahawks (N-W)
7. Packers (N-N)
8. Buccaneers (N-S)
9. Eagles (N-E)
10. Cowboys (N-E)
11. Colts (A-S)
12. Cardinals (N-W)
13. Vikings (N-N)
14. Falcons (N-S)
15. Steelers (A-N

Initial feelings:

- Titans, Vikings are underrated
- Bills are overrated.

Packers are still #1 in NFC North, but nowhere close to Saints, 49ers and even Hawks.

I'd put us to be fighting with Eagles and Vikings come playoff time. In fact with Foles, I can't even rule Bears out. NFC North will be one of the toughest divisions along with NFC West in entire NFL.

D

Deleted member 6794

Typically a team in the 2nd year of a new head coach does better. At least it seems that way to me.

The Packers will have a hard time improving on finishing the regular season at 13-3 and making it to the NFCCG during MLF's first season though.

Truly the only position I'd argue we clearly are worse than last year is CB, and it is yet to be seen if we will be progressing it at all from where we are.

I don't agree that the Packers are significantly worse st cornerback than they were last season. Tramon Williams is the only player who took snaps there currently not on the roster and that might change before the start of the season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Initial feelings:

- Titans, Vikings are underrated
- Bills are overrated.

Packers are still #1 in NFC North, but nowhere close to Saints, 49ers and even Hawks.

I'd put us to be fighting with Eagles and Vikings come playoff time. In fact with Foles, I can't even rule Bears out. NFC North will be one of the toughest divisions along with NFC West in entire NFL.

The Packers are definitely the odds-on favorites to win the NFC North again this season with the Vikings having lost a lot of talent and the Bears not significantly improving.

Unfortunately I'm not convinced the team closed the gap to the top of the NFC though.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will have a hard time improving on finishing the regular season at 13-3 and making it to the NFCCG during MLF's first season though.
They had a great record, but they didn't play like a dominant team as their record would make you think. They played very good on defense early, and good on offense at various times. I think there are lots of areas for improvement. Whether they can improve on the record is doubtful.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't agree that the Packers are significantly worse st cornerback than they were last season. Tramon Williams is the only player who took snaps there currently not on the roster and that might change before the start of the season.

You've countless times stated how much we have yet to truly upgrade our WR room, yet at CB we have an even worse picture one could argue:

Jaire (Adams) - Clearly leaps and bounds better than the rest and clear #1

King (Funchess & Lazard) - Hit or miss health wise, shows promise but what do we really have and which will show?

Jackson/Sullivan/Hollman/Samuels/Ento/Sunderland (MVS/EQ/Begelton/Kumerow) - Unknown truly at this point...are they commodities or liabilities...

D

Deleted member 6794

You've countless times stated how much we have yet to truly upgrade our WR room, yet at CB we have an even worse picture one could argue:

Jaire (Adams) - Clearly leaps and bounds better than the rest and clear #1

King (Funchess & Lazard) - Hit or miss health wise, shows promise but what do we really have and which will show?

Jackson/Sullivan/Hollman/Samuels/Ento/Sunderland (MVS/EQ/Begelton/Kumerow) - Unknown truly at this point...are they commodities or liabilities...

While King hasn't lived up to being selected with the first pick of the second round I feel more comfortable with him starting opposite Alexander than any other receiver next to Adams.

I agree there's reason for concern at the position though, another one Gutekunst ignored in the draft for some unknown reason.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While King hasn't lived up to being selected with the first pick of the second round I feel more comfortable with him starting opposite Alexander than any other receiver next to Adams.

I agree there's reason for concern at the position though, another one Gutekunst ignored in the draft for some unknown reason.

I'd say the same right now presently as well. Way more confident in his abilities serving as our #2 at his position than Lazard or Funchess presently at theirs.

Latest posts