1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon... Update: Announcement to be released on MONDAY!

Perry or Mercilus: Your Choice

Discussion in 'Draft Talk' started by bubblercheez37, Feb 10, 2012.

1. bubblercheez37

bubblercheez37 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    I read a thread from another post about OLB possibilities at 28. If Perry and Mercilus are both available at 28, who do you take and why?

I think Perry is the safer pick and reminds me alot of Mathews (school and position included), but Mercilus has a higher ceiling but bigger boom/bust potential

2. MiamiBeachPacker

MiamiBeachPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +246
    I would have to say Perry would be my choice

3. Cincinnati Cheesehead

Cincinnati Cheesehead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +16
    I agree with your points on both players but I choose Perry. I think he is the best OLB pass rusher in this draft. I like Mercilus and would be happy with him at 28 but I would be happy with moving up to get Perry. Last year my "man crush pick was Watt... followed by Brooks Reed so I fancy myself an "expert" (clearly kidding) but Im almost crushing on Perry like I was Watt.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    Mercilus scares me because he only has one year of production. Perry seems like the real deal. I just hope the choices are there.

5. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +515
    Nick Perry looks like the more complete LB who does a lot of things whereas Mercilus seems to be the better pure pass rusher, but as you say, Mercilus' evaluation is based only on 1 season.

I'd go with Perry.

6. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Great question, tough call.
    I'll be happy with either as our guy, but then again most of us wanted Everette Brown or Aaron Maybin, not Clay Matthews, in 2009. This is, as most are, a hard position to evaluate the transition from college to the NFL.

NICK PERRY

WHITNEY MERCILUS (clearly the best name)

I disagree with this guy saying he doesn't think Mercy can play standing up. He reminds me a lot of DeMarcus Ware.
    Also, ironic that he mentions the Colts, and my man Jerry Hughes.

As far as the one-year wonder goes, some guys just "blossom" or "find it"... remember Matthews didn't even start until his last year at USC.

7. Jordyruns

Jordyruns Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +175
    I would be very happy with either one of these guys. I do not think it is worth it to trade up for upshaw though. Imo the guy is a little overated, but I'm no expert.