Pennel a secret weapon?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He could possibly be a pre-season warrior who looks like feces on the field during practice... And in the game if given the chance. But from what I seen, he was a beast. A big beast. Who was young, quick and active. He could be disruptive in the middle. Bring Guion to DE, and rotate Jones in as the head hunter.

Whats the worst that could happen? Forte and every other rb we face gets 11 yards per carry instead of only 10?????? Good greif!!!

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They brought in Elliot the other defensive secret weapon.
Janis is going to suprise as well...........................
lol Jones does the Jared Allen tie the calf thing... He just earned a couple points for that one from me:)

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He could possibly be a pre-season warrior who looks like feces on the field during practice... And in the game if given the chance. But from what I seen, he was a beast. A big beast. Who was young, quick and active. He could be disruptive in the middle. Bring Guion to DE, and rotate Jones in as the head hunter.

Whats the worst that could happen? Forte and every other rb we face gets 11 yards per carry instead of only 10?????? Good greif!!!

No they're just trying to work him into the Defense. He did look strong and active in his limited time out there, would like to see more of him.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol Jones does the Jared Allen tie the calf thing... He just earned a couple points for that one from me:)

That bothered me, tbh. You don't disrespect an established and respected guy, a decent guy, on his home territory when he's not even on the field and you haven't done squat yet in your career.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I agree. I didn't like it one bit. I mean, Jared Allen wasn't even playing in the game as he was out injured. So not only is it disrespecting the old vet, it's disrespecting an injured player. I wasn't a fan one bit.

Because he tied his calf, he was disrespecting Allen ??? :eek:

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
I'm not saying it's against the rules I'm saying it's classless. And to do the belt, which our whole team does, is one thing. To mock a celebration unique to Jared Allen when the guy isn't even playing is totally different. Sure, it's not against the rules, it's just classless IMO.

I agree.....plus it looked stupid after Jones and the D gave up 500 yards on the day.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pennel with 2 tackles yesterday--double that of Guion. Guion should be sent packing.

Reaction score
That bothered me, tbh. You don't disrespect an established and respected guy, a decent guy, on his home territory when he's not even on the field and you haven't done squat yet in your career.
I agree. And I want good things for Datone. If he ever becomes 50% of Jared Allen. He can do the corkscrew on his head for all I care. Honestly, I think Datone needs some maturity. He's just a big kid

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Guion should be sent packing.
Great idea but who takes his place? Right now he's the second heaviest DL on the team. Not that weight should be the deciding factor but after Pennel at 332, Guion is listed at 315, then Boyd at 310, then Daniels at 305. Daniels does not seem like an every down player to me - perhaps he was more effective last season because he got fewer snaps. Except for Pennel (and it's too early to tell but I'd still start him at NT), none of the DL are doing a good job vs. the run. Don't get me wrong - Guion may be the worst of the lot but is he worse than the best NT/DT on the street? Luther Robinson is the only DL on the practice squad and he's a DE.

What's Howard Green doing nowadays and is he under 400 pounds? Just kidding of course but a waiver wire pickup like that, or a miracle cure for Jolly would be a huge blessing.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great idea but who takes his place? Right now he's the second heaviest DL on the team. Not that weight should be the deciding factor but after Pennel at 332, Guion is listed at 315, then Boyd at 310, then Daniels at 305. Daniels does not seem like an every down player to me - perhaps he was more effective last season because he got fewer snaps. Except for Pennel (and it's too early to tell but I'd still start him at NT), none of the DL are doing a good job vs. the run. Don't get me wrong - Guion may be the worst of the lot but is he worse than the best NT/DT on the street? Luther Robinson is the only DL on the practice squad and he's a DE.

What's Howard Green doing nowadays and is he under 400 pounds? Just kidding of course but a waiver wire pickup like that, or a miracle cure for Jolly would be a huge blessing.
No argument here. Getting rid of Guion might send a message, if nothing else. Too bad Pickett was signed by the Texans last week. Jolly must have let himself get way out of shape; or he didn't have a good outcome from the surgery or I would think he'd be on the team. We have absolutely nobody in the middle of the defense that can make a play reasonably close to the line of scrimmage. Matthews and the other outside backers are pinching the middle--I think to compensate--and are therefore opening the outside for runners when they bounce out or the QB keeps on a read/option. Bears gained ~135 yards of their 235 BEFORE contact. Really, it's unacceptable if you think you're a playoff team.

H

HardRightEdge

And you don't do conspicuous celebrations after being pushed around all day. It indicates detachment from reality.

Nick Barnett used to stomp around after getting fooled all day. You don't want to be that guy.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guion was sent "packing" by the queens. What does that tell you. It just goes to show how hopeless TT is with acquiring D lineman. Right now the Packers have the worst run defense I have seen in my nearly 50 years of watching the NFL. There is nobody even near the ball carrier for 8-10 yards. Gang tackles are rarities. Bring in Pennel. He's raw but there is no way he can be worse than what we have seen so far from Guion

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Guion was a scrap heap pick up by TT. Always attempting to find a gem from another team on the cheap. The experiment has failed.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'd just as soon they save celebrations for winning games and championships rather than just making a play, but I know that's not today's NFL. And HRE has a point but I gotta say the type of celebration a Packers defender does after making a play is way, way down on my list of things to worry about.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Guion was sent "packing" by the queens. What does that tell you. It just goes to show how hopeless TT is with acquiring D lineman. Right now the Packers have the worst run defense I have seen in my nearly 50 years of watching the NFL. There is nobody even near the ball carrier for 8-10 yards. Gang tackles are rarities. Bring in Pennel. He's raw but there is no way he can be worse than what we have seen so far from Guion

Gilbert Brown was drafted in 3rd by the Vikings and they let him go on last cut down day..Wolf was hopeless too

but you are right in the other statements

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Guion is not a NT. He's a DE. The guy is only 315 lbs at 6'4". Normally a NT is around 330 lbs at 6'2". This team has been putting round pegs into square holes for a really long time and it is catching up to them.

So like I posted somewhere else on here go back to a 3-4 and go Daniels"3", Pennell"0", Guion "3" and rotate in Boyd and run the 2-4 on down and distance passing downs and throw Jones in there.

Edit: they can still run there nickel and dime packages from there.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It would be worth a shot. I would prefer to throw in Datone Jones to get our best talent on the field, but the Packers refuse to put him on the field just like they refused with Lattimore and Bishop. It's pathetic.

They could rotate Jones in there too and get a feel for the right combination. I know Capers likes Jones in there on passing downs.

The way I see it unless Pennell can really step up quick this whole 2-4, 4-3, elephant position or whatever you want to call the scheme needs to be abandoned at least on 1st down and certain down and distance situations. It appears Raji or a player like him is needed to make a go of it.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
That's what is so crazy about this is were hoping a rookie UDFA from Colorado State-Pueblo can come in and save the day at nose after four years of trying to build a D-line through the draft. Unbelievable.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts