Pennel a secret weapon?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Sad, but true! However the injury of BJ Raji is a huge disappointment. Raji isn't a great player by any means, but the difference between a average and a poor NT (Guion) is huge. The thing is that our D-line depth was poor to begin with, and therefore Ted deserves the blame. For the run-d to improve, we really need someone to step up.

By the way, I am still stunned that we did not sign Pickett after the Raji injury. I know that Pickett lost a step and is probably just a below average NT. However he would still be an improvement over the guys we have now.

Yeah it was but to go to this 2-4 scheme with the D-lineman we have was a total reach. Once again we have some of the pieces but not all the pieces. I know they want to get Peppers, Matthews, Neal, and who they feel are there best players on the field but we just don't have the disruptive D-lineman to pull it off or the linebacker inside to make up for it. Plus there is no guarantee it would of even worked with Raji.

I think they can salvage it going back to a 3-4 and giving us a shot. We have a better secondary against the pass. I guess we will have to wait to see what Pennell can do first.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
People keep acting like Raji is this pro-bowl level nose and he hasn't really done anything in a few years. Granted he was playing outside mostly but he has been invisible. I just think it's being overly optimistic to think this guy was gonna be the staple of the middle of the defense because he was having a good training camp. He could of worked out but there was no guarantee.

IMO he would of done well in a 3-4 at nose but the jury was out on whether he could handle the middle in a 2-4.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The reports from TC were Raji was rejuvenated. There's no way to know how rejuvenated he was or how long it would have lasted, but the reports weren't of the same ole BJ. Obviously a moot point now.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The reports from TC were Raji was rejuvenated. There's no way to know how rejuvenated he was or how long it would have lasted, but the reports weren't of the same ole BJ. Obviously a moot point now.

BTW, brandon2348 - I really don't mean this as grammer smack but I've noticed you've used the word "granite" a couple of times when I'm pretty sure you meant "granted"

No prob. Fixed it. Thanks ;)

H

HardRightEdge

This is what I find interesting. If we talk about Raji and his worth, people are calling him a minimum contract guy or maybe a $2 million guy. But then here when we talk about him and he's the reason the DL is failing and the anchor of the defense. I think that's a sign of emotional frustration over anything else.
You've made the assumption the run D would be appreciably better with Raji at NT. There's no basis for that other than training camp happy talk, a habit with every team that time of year. If the things said about Bush every camp were materialized during go-time he'd have been a Pro Bowl corner by now.

The back half of last season would suggest the opposite. We ran a 65% nickel last year, give or take, with Raji at 3 tech on a lot of those downs and teams had little problem running then either, not to mention all those snaps at 5 tech and 0 tech in base.

If he wasn't going to man up in his contract year I wouldn't expect him to suddenly find religion on the second go-round.

H

HardRightEdge

Actually, no, I haven't made the assumption the run D would be appreciably better with Raji at NT. I said nothing about his play.
When you said, "But then here when we talk about him and he's the reason the DL is failing and the anchor of the defense....", I drew the conclusion that "we" included "you", especially since you argued for paying him next season.

If I were feeling charitable at the moment I'd say, sarcastically, "excuse me if I misunderstood". I'm not having that feeling though.

For the record, if it is not abundantly clear already, do not include me in that "we".

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point Pennel needs to play a lot of snaps. Guion is a flop Boyd is just a body and Raji is done. Pennel looks much more athletic than those three. Plus I don't think the run D can get any worse so the pressure in a weird way would kind of be off Pennel. Given the Packets woes on the D line the Worthy pick looks like even more of a disaster.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Well I know I never stated the 2-4 would work with Raji. It may or may not of but the more I watch it the more I tend to think it wouldn't. I stated in earlier posts it would take adding an interior lineman like Suh IMO. An ILB that can attack and get off blocks would help too. Were far far away from having that kind of personnel right now so why run it.

Capers put the whole thing together because of Peppers and our OLB's but once again we have a scheme without all the correct pieces to make it successful. "Pipe dream".

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummm......pennel sucked. Check out his grade for the game, watch the replay, listen for his name.... he didnt do jack crap-o-la
First game for an undrafted rookie... what were you expecting? Vince Wilfork in his prime?

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great idea but who takes his place? Right now he's the second heaviest DL on the team. Not that weight should be the deciding factor but after Pennel at 332, Guion is listed at 315, then Boyd at 310, then Daniels at 305. Daniels does not seem like an every down player to me - perhaps he was more effective last season because he got fewer snaps. Except for Pennel (and it's too early to tell but I'd still start him at NT), none of the DL are doing a good job vs. the run. Don't get me wrong - Guion may be the worst of the lot but is he worse than the best NT/DT on the street? Luther Robinson is the only DL on the practice squad and he's a DE.

What's Howard Green doing nowadays and is he under 400 pounds? Just kidding of course but a waiver wire pickup like that, or a miracle cure for Jolly would be a huge blessing.
Maybe your Howard Green was already on the roster?

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, you said being an undrafted free agent is a problem. I merely pointed out that it wasn't.
Would prefer a player outside of an UFA anchor the D line. Just a thought. You seem pretty agitated.

Comparing Kurt Warner to Pennel makes no sense.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would prefer a player outside of an UFA anchor the D line. Just a thought. You seem pretty agitated.

No, you seem to be pretty touchy. Getting your feelings hurt WAY too easily. Would it make you feel better if the Packers had drafted him in the 7th round or something? Who cares where a guy was drafted, or not, if he can play??? Remember Justin Harrell? Jamal Reynolds? What round were they drafted in?

Comparing Kurt Warner to Pennel makes no sense.

Yeah, and that's why I didn't do that :rolleyes:

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, you seem to be pretty touchy. Getting your feelings hurt WAY too easily. Would it make you feel better if the Packers had drafted him in the 7th round or something? Who cares where a guy was drafted, or not, if he can play??? Remember Justin Harrell? Jamal Reynolds? What round were they drafted in?

Yeah, and that's why I didn't do that :rolleyes:
Okay. You're right.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts