Pass Interfence

H

HardRightEdge

Other than Nelson getting signed, contrary to my prediction, the most interesting thing I've read so far out of training camp is the following from Silverstein in today's JS blog:

"Officials (real ones are here) calling lots of PIs today. That's an emphasis for this year. They're going to call it much tighter this year."

If that turns out to be the case, SEA and SF should lose some giddyup in their getalong. Both of those DB crews have been know for their downfield bumping and handchecking in recent years, SEA being the most egregious practitioner.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Seattle is by FAR the worst muggers out there. If what you say comes true, the legion of boom will be the most penalized DB crew this season. Heck, I don't mind free yardage !!!

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like physical, press coverage at the line but it's frustrating down field, mostly because it's called so damn inconsistently. People talk about a star system in the NBA, but the same is true for NFL DBs as far as I'm concerned.

Also, I hope they flag the offense a little more often when the receiver makes excessive contact to prevent an interception.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Seattle is by FAR the worst muggers out there. If what you say comes true, the legion of boom will be the most penalized DB crew this season. Heck, I don't mind free yardage !!!
Our guys are not known for such tactics, with Shields being our press corner who tends to just turn and run. That they're getting flagged today with these refs indicates they're calling it pretty tight.

We've seen these rules re-implementations in the past that start one way and then backslide through preseason and the early season games. Nonetheless, any change that causes SEA to dial back their timing disruption tactics to any degree would be a plus.

Last edited by a moderator:

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The game favors the offense today. If they start calling pass interference (as I think they should) they should also call offensive holding, which occurs on virtually every passing down. And if the game is being slowed by too many penalties, add additional yardage after, say, 5 penalties on either side. Holding after 5 penalties= additional 10 yards/penalty. Interference after 5 penalties= additional 10 yards from point of penalty. The penalties would stop. There's very little rhythm in a game being stopped by penalties time after time; so best to make penalties so egregious that they aren't committed.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
To the extent the officials continue emphasizing PI I think it helps the Packers on both sides of the ball. On offense the Packers have one-of-the, if not THE most accurate QB – the less DBs can maul Packers receivers, the better. And as HRE posted, the Packers DBs are more “cover than maul” types anyway. And there’s no doubt the Packers are deep at CB and they’re all cover guys with the possible exception of House if we extrapolate the first few days of TC reports we’ve read to the regular season, but I like that he is doing so well anyway.

I hope they do call PI more closely on both sides of the ball and - although it's very difficult - I hope they're more consistent in doing so than they have been in the past.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that the Fail Mary is yesterday's news but I hope that the refs keep Seattle honest in their loud house with the 12th Person.
They better not let the feel and pressures of the home game get to them.
I'm afraid that they will though.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Oh yes. "The legion of boom rule". Seahawk coaches teach them these tactics and it doesn't surprise me coming from a Pete "Cheat" Carroll program. Chris Harper has even mentioned about all the grabbing and pushing that goes on in the Seahawk secondary while he was there. "Fraudsters." The thing is these rules were already in place but were not enforced consistently so them bringing the refs out to all 32 teams practices shows there going to make every effort to enforce it.

It is really going to hurt the Seahawks and Carroll already came out in a press conference after officials were there and needing to get more information on what they can do and can't do. He calls it a "A big deal for us". Ya think Pete?

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-phot...ir-Rules/07a34f47-d378-4b63-aeaf-dc4888aa69f8

I agree with some other postings here that it will affect all teams but not the Packers as much as others. Certainly not as much as the Seahawks.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is going to suck, I don't mind the way the LOB play, in fact I admire it tbh. As long as it's not cheap shots which are more dangerous to a players health then let 'em play. I disagree with people saying this won't affect the Packers as much as others, this is going to be a pain in the ***. With a defense that is in dire need of help, the last thing I want is refs throwing away PI calls left right and centre.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The game favors the offense today. If they start calling pass interference (as I think they should) they should also call offensive holding, which occurs on virtually every passing down. And if the game is being slowed by too many penalties, add additional yardage after, say, 5 penalties on either side. Holding after 5 penalties= additional 10 yards/penalty. Interference after 5 penalties= additional 10 yards from point of penalty. The penalties would stop. There's very little rhythm in a game being stopped by penalties time after time; so best to make penalties so egregious that they aren't committed.

Offensive holding is the 2nd most common penalty after false start. If they called even more OH penalties than they do, it would end up being the #1 factor killing drives most probably.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
This is going to suck, I don't mind the way the LOB play, in fact I admire it tbh. As long as it's not cheap shots which are more dangerous to a players health then let 'em play. I disagree with people saying this won't affect the Packers as much as others, this is going to be a pain in the ***. With a defense that is in dire need of help, the last thing I want is refs throwing away PI calls left right and centre.

They don't want guys grabbing and holding after 5 yards which is cheap IMO. Basically if your a corner and you cant run with guys then get off the field. Corners like Sam Shields that can run with guys become more valuable. Corners like Richard Sherman who can't will get exposed. The NFL is a "fad league" and the fad of the "tall big corner" might be coming to an end.

On the other hand "Pass Rush" and guys that can do that and disrupt become even that much more important.

If you look at the Packers secondary they are not a real physical group. The only time they really make any contact is at the LOS. On offense I don't recall seeing our receivers doing a lot of pushing off or grabbing after 5 yards either.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

If you look at the Packers secondary they are not a real physical group. The only time they really make any contact is at the LOS. On offense I don't recall seeing our receivers doing a lot of pushing off or grabbing after 5 yards either.

The Packers DBs didn´t like the way Hochuli and his crew called yesterday´s practice. I think they should just let them play, the rules already favour the offense quite a lot.

D

Deleted member 6794

FWIW the emphasis for officials going into this season is mostly on defensive holding and illegal contact, not on defensive pass interference.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think pass interference, defensive holding, or illegal contact should be called unless they are blatantly obvious. Not much during a football game bothers me more than when the offense gets a free first down because the DB simply touches a WR.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
FWIW the emphasis for officials going into this season is mostly on defensive holding and illegal contact, not on defensive pass interference.

Of course they didn't like it. I cant imagine any teams secondary unit liking it.

Yeah. Defensive holding and illegal contact. That's what the Seahawks secondary does religiously. Most of this stuff is stuff you don't see on a television angle of game. There whole goal back there is to disrupt receivers and get them off routes and break up timing. Pair that with the pass rush they were able to get with 4 guys and it's easy to see why there defense was so dominate against the passing game.

They better be able to score points this year that's all I can say.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Everyone can like there style of football but these are the rules. I personally like a physical game myself. However; IMO this rule being enforced to the next level favors offenses like Denver's and Green Bay's the most so I don't know why people would not welcome it.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone can like there style of football but these are the rules. I personally like a physical game myself. However; IMO this rule being enforced to the next level favors offenses like Denver's and Green Bay's the most so I don't know why people would not welcome it.

Well, our offense is going to very good no matter what rules are emphasized. Our defense, however, could due without having extra penalties called against them.

D

Deleted member 6794

Everyone can like there style of football but these are the rules. I personally like a physical game myself. However; IMO this rule being enforced to the next level favors offenses like Denver's and Green Bay's so I don't know why people would not welcome it.

I´m fine with officials calling illegal contact, but a cornerback should be allowed to go for the ball without being called for pass interference because he barely touched the receiver.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Well, our offense is going to very good no matter what rules are emphasized. Our defense, however, could due without having extra penalties called against them.

I know but it's going to be even worse for the Seahawks and the Niners. Especially for the Seahawks cause they do it almost every play. It's a game changer for them.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I´m fine with officials calling illegal contact, but a cornerback should be allowed to go for the ball without being called for pass interference because he barely touched the receiver.

I agree 100 percent. DB should have every right to battle for the ball. From what I have gathered this is enforcing the illegal contact after 5 yards. I would be completely turned off if they don't allow DB's to fight for the ball.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

No rule changes will be implemented that jeopardize QB health.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

If yesterday's practice is any indication, we could be looking at 2011-post-strike redux, with scoreboards spinning like slot machines. I think we liked the affect on our offense in 2011 when defenses were a bit loggy. We have to like our odds in an aerial shootout season.

Too soon to tell, though. We'll need to see how this develops through the preseason.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offensive holding is the 2nd most common penalty after false start. If they called even more OH penalties than they do, it would end up being the #1 factor killing drives most probably.
Totally agree, which begs the question "What to do about it?" If players know that they will be less likely to be penalized because of multiple previous stoppages, wouldn't it encourage more holding, or interference? Maybe adding additional penalties after a certain number of infractions (as in basketball after 5 fouls) it would stop.

Members online

Latest posts