Packers won't tender Lattimore

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/article/...-keeping-Lattimore-price-right?nclick_check=1

They do want him back, they just don't want to pay the RFA tender amount of $1.389 million.

Here's what gets me about this. We invest heavily in a mediocre ILB like Brad Jones. We had no problem paying Brad Jones $12M over 3 years. Yet we aren't willing to fork over a no-risk short term offer of less than $1.4M to keep Lattimore around.

Is Brad Jones really that much of a better inside linebacker than Jamari Lattimore? I guess the brass thinks so, and I would love for someone to convince me that he is based on performance and football related arguments. I just don't see it.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
You are not the only one who does not see it..... Brad Jones has to be one of the worst players on the squad. He sucks at run defense and couldnt cover a pee-wee football WR. I love the way he just watches the ball sail right past him.... what a waste of cash.

D

Deleted member 6794

http://www.packersnews.com/article/...-keeping-Lattimore-price-right?nclick_check=1

They do want him back, they just don't want to pay the RFA tender amount of $1.389 million.

Here's what gets me about this. We invest heavily in a mediocre ILB like Brad Jones. We had no problem paying Brad Jones $12M over 3 years. Yet we aren't willing to fork over a no-risk short term offer of less than $1.4M to keep Lattimore around.

Is Brad Jones really that much of a better inside linebacker than Jamari Lattimore? I guess the brass thinks so, and I would love for someone to convince me that he is based on performance and football related arguments. I just don't see it.

The contract the Packers handed out to Brad Jones was really a shocker to me and it looks even worse after the 2013 season. I actually don´t care if they bring back Lattimore or not, he showed vs. the Bears that he´s not capable of being a solid starter at ILB as well.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reminds me of when they refused to make an offer to a VERY serviceable Tom Crabtree last year and lost him. He went to a garbage team and ended up with an injury but I would have taken him every day of the week over Ryan Taylor.

....at least TT paid Burnett and Jones!!!!!!

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If your worst contract is 3YRS/12M for a player who is still a fringe starter, your in a pretty good situation.

There's actually several bad contracts on defense. The Brad Jones one just stands out because it puzzled even all of us at the time, not just in hindsight.

The Burnett contract will look even worse if he has another season like last. The Hawk contract was really bad at first, and looks a little better after the restructure.

Tramon Williams is another guy who is pretty overpaid but I'm not going to get on Ted's case too hard for that one. He was a major part of our Super Bowl team and it looked like a pretty good deal for an ascending corner at the time.

I don't have a problem with paying a guy like that. I have a problem with paying big money to players who have proven to be mediocre players solely on the basis of them coming up within our system. I don't' think that's an unfair criticism.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Burnett and Jones' bad contracts will look like pocket change to the awful contract I fear he wants to give Raji. Clay's contract is going to start look horrible too if he can't stay on the field.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of you guys need to go back and re-watch the game film. Brad Jones played pretty well until he got injured in Week 5. I don't think that anyone has illusions that he played well after his return, but hamstrings (like Achilles injuries) take a looong time to truly heal. I'm not necessarily defending his play, but a lot of folks on here want to say that it was a horrible signing. It wasn't through the first games of the season until his hamstring injury. Something also tells me that he pushed himself to come back early, since they were running 3rd and 4th string ILBs in his absence.

Watch the film.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Some of you guys need to go back and re-watch the game film. Brad Jones played pretty well until he got injured in Week 5. I don't think that anyone has illusions that he played well after his return, but hamstrings (like Achilles injuries) take a looong time to truly heal. I'm not necessarily defending his play, but a lot of folks on here want to say that it was a horrible signing. It wasn't through the first games of the season until his hamstring injury. Something also tells me that he pushed himself to come back early, since they were running 3rd and 4th string ILBs in his absence.

Watch the film.

My question is: what made the high brass want to offer him his new deal after his diamal performance before his new deal? He litterally watched guys go past him, was out of position, and was unaware of his surroundings. All he did last season was show a flash here or there. Or, made a sack on a blown blocking assignment. Neither of which warrents his pay.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Watch the film.

He did play better before the injury, but if he wasn't nearly healthy enough to come back and be effective as soon as he was back on the field, I find it a little annoying that the staff put him back on the field in place of a healthy Lattimore who was playing pretty well.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We had just dropped Bishop and his promising young backup Smith. Then we had lost Walden around the same time also. I think it came down to the fact that Bishop and Smiths injuries were very bad. Giving the healthy LBs the edge. And giving us money budgeted for LBs. Then we had to decide weither Jones or Walden were the keeper. Walden was streaky with injuries. Jones was more diverse, and better in coverage. By the time Jones got his contract, we had 4 years worth of developmental LBs and Jones was last man standing. Fransois and Lattimore were promising to fill the backup spot.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We had just dropped Bishop and his promising young backup Smith. Then we had lost Walden around the same time also. I think it came down to the fact that Bishop and Smiths injuries were very bad. Giving the healthy LBs the edge. And giving us money budgeted for LBs. Then we had to decide weither Jones or Walden were the keeper. Walden was streaky with injuries. Jones was more diverse, and better in coverage. By the time Jones got his contract, we had 4 years worth of developmental LBs and Jones was last man standing. Fransois and Lattimore were promising to fill the backup spot.

I don't think we were ever choosing between Jones and Walden. Jones is an ILB, Walden is an OLB. Not to mention the contract the Colts gave Walden is even more absurd than what Jones got.

D

Deleted member 6794

In addition to the valid points adambr2 brought up, the Packers re- signed Jones long before they released Smith and Bishop.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom Pellisero reporting that the Packers have indeed tendered Lattimore. The low tender of $1.431M

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
any chance Brad Jones is on the way out?

I don't think so. Jones played decent until he got hurt. So I expect him to bounce back. I don't think he will be cut unless he loses his starting position in camp. Actually cutting Jones would only save 1,925 million this year. Cutting him next however would save 3,675 million, so he needs a really good year, if he wants to be on the roster in 2015.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Actually cutting Jones would only save 1,925 million this year. Cutting him next however would save 3,675 million, so he needs a really good year, if he wants to be on the roster in 2015.
I understand the sentiment you’re expressing but would change “only save $1.925M” to “they can save $1.925M!!”. Jones signed that deal last March and already in year two of the contract there’s almost $2M in cap savings. As far as waiting until next year because the cap savings increases, keep in mind they would have to spend between $2.5M to $2.8M this season to realize those future cap savings. Unless Jones starts IMO he should be waived.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A source is telling Tom Silverstein that had Ted not tendered Lattimore that Dorsey and McKenzie would have been all over him.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another good moving giving the low tender to a guy who still needs to prove himself, but has the ability to be good

raj34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is this guy worth the tender? He couldn't beat out Hawk or Jones. Not exactly a great sign.

D

Deleted member 6794

any chance Brad Jones is on the way out?

First of all we would have to find a replacement for him. While he hasn´t been great by any means, right now there is no better option at ILB on the roster.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts