Packers want DT Williams to stay

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=577897

In part..........

"The Green Bay Packers want to extend the contract of defensive tackle Corey Williams before he becomes an unrestricted free agent a year from now.

"Yeah, I think so," general manager Ted Thompson said. "We've dabbled at it a little bit. He has the ability to rush the passer. I think he's played well."

Agent Jeff Courtney and team negotiator Andrew Brandt have talked off and on for some time about an extension for the 26-year-old Williams, but tough bargaining has yet to unfold.

"The best way I could put it is there's clearly a reciprocal interest," Courtney said. "I can't sit here and tell you we're having substantial dialogue on it right now. I think 'dabbled' probably is a pretty good word to use."

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see Barnett and Williams extended this year. I thought both played pretty well last year. It was about time Corey Williams was given a chance to break the starting lineup. He was a constant hardworker ever since he's got here.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see Barnett and Williams extended this year. I thought both played pretty well last year. It was about time Corey Williams was given a chance to break the starting lineup. He was a constant hardworker ever since he's got here.

Are you saying we should spend our cap money on our own players Porky. Man, what a concept...

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can go back to last year when TO was available and the same people who were defending Ted for not signing TO will be celebrating the Moss deal. The weird part is it goes against what they say they love about TT.

Terrell Owens and Randy Moss are different players. Apples and Oranges. Moss isn't near the media as much as TO. He doesn't draw as much attention as TO. The whole suicide thing was ridiculous with Owens. Whether it was legit or not we'll never really know. TO sure made it out as no big deal but it certainly didn't look that way at first. Moss has never even held out or threaten to hold out like TO. As far as I heard Moss has never punched anyone in the locker room like TO allegedly did to Hugh Douglas. He also never cared about people taking sides like Owens did with the McNabb.

What Owens did in Philly really put him over the top in my opinion. Maybe he can rebound in Dallas as a teammate. Randy Moss might be a punk and is cancer to a team that is losing but Terrell Owens is the plague in my opinion no matter what. I think the test of the time will be whether or not Moss is willing to redo his contract if he's traded from Oakland. That's one thing Owens has never done and probably will never do. If Moss is willing to do that then I think that’s a sign of him wanting to change. Owens has no desire to change. To say people are inconsistent for wanting Moss and not wanting Terrell Owens is as bizarre as this day has been.

:twocents:

Reaction score
So getting back to discussing Corey Williams (and not TT)....

Do you think Williams can step up and be the starting DT next to Pickett from Week 1 through Week 16, or is Williams still too inconsistent?

What type of money do you think Corey Williams is worth?

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
So getting back to discussing Corey Williams (and not TT)....

Do you think Williams can step up and be the starting DT next to Pickett from Week 1 through Week 16, or is Williams still too inconsistent?

What type of money do you think Corey Williams is worth?

I doubt we will keep him. Too bad we didnt lock him up before last year. He will probably draw at least 6 years & 40 million if he plays all this year how he played the last half of 2006.

Reaction score
6 Years 40 million is a HUGE amount, I don't think he'd get that much. 30 million I can see happening with the cap space going up, and Williams still showing signs of improvement.

As for signing him last year, up until this season, Williams had been an injury waiting to happen.

It should be interesting to see if the Packers target any DT in the draft this year.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
6 Years 40 million is a HUGE amount, I don't think he'd get that much. 30 million I can see happening with the cap space going up, and Williams still showing signs of improvement.

As for signing him last year, up until this season, Williams had been an injury waiting to happen.

It should be interesting to see if the Packers target any DT in the draft this year.

He will get that much, i just dont think the packers will fork over that kind of money. Im not too sure that we should either, thats a huge chunk a change. This aint the old days when you could get a Reggie White for 5 years 25 million. A defensive tackle who gets sacks and plays like Williams did gets those kind of deals. I actually thought the 40 million figure was a bit conservative too.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williams will get a deal similar to Cullen Jenkins in all likely hood. I can't see him getting a 40 million dollar deal from the Packers. He'd have to hit the open market for that.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way I've read his bio from last year, it appears to me that perhaps the light went on for him late in the year. This is usually a good sign. Jenkins raised his game also or is just better suited at DE, at least in our scheme. IMO, decent DTs are at a premium in this league. We may need an extra one or two in order to continue platooning them. It shows up in the 4th qtr. especially. That's when most games are decided. If we now have the man-power, let's keep it that way. He'll be cheap insurance (at least in today's nutty pay scales.)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts