Packers vs Broncos thread

Sky King

Reaction score
Rams are legit..
So are the Seahawks. And the Packers did not exactly steamroll a feeble Chargers team.

One of the reasons that the opposition has a less-than stellar record is that the Packers and Broncos have beaten them. Funny how that works. But there's a lot of season yet to be played. By season's end the current records of the opposition could flip, and one or more of those "losing" teams could make the playoffs and get red hot.

Last season's NFCC game should serve as a microcosm of how an entire season could still end up miraculously for some team regardless of how improbable that outcome may seem, even when the end is quite near and the result seems quite certain. Personally, I take nothing for granted with 10 games to go.

D

Deleted member 6794

sounds to me like it's gonna be a damn tight game either way, we'll need to be there all game instead of just the first 3 q's

The Packers have outscored opponents by a total of 14 points in the fourth quarter this season. It will be interesting to see how the offense plays at the start of the game. So far this season the Packers have scored the most points in the first quarter (66) while the Broncos haven´t allowed a single point.

D

Deleted member 6794

Starks practiced today, but Damarious Randall sat out with an undisclosed injury. Montgomery did not practice.

Damarious Randall didn´t practice because of an ankle injury. I haven´t seen any information about the severity so far.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At some point you need to stop just respecting a name on a jersey and see what the player is actually doing. Manning has been awful this year. The Packer's defense should have no trouble stopping the Broncos offense. Put Manning's jersey on Hoyer and it would actually be an improvement for the Broncos this year.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't watched a Broncos game yet, but the television pundits have said that one of Mannings biggest problems is that with such a bad OL, he hasn't had the space to step into his throws. Since he's always had mediocre arm strength it's really affecting his throws to not have space. I don't see the Packers having a problem continuing that trend. If they don't apply pressure then Manning has the chance to do well. In his new offensive system, he doesn't have the cohesion with his WRs to make quick adjustments at the line as well as Rivers was able to do.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I heard Wilde on Homer's radio show yesterday say two sources he trusts told him another problem Manning is having is with Kubiak and the differences in how each wants the offense to run. He doesn't mention that in his story posted Wednesday but does have Kubiak referring to three Manning-led scoring drives late in three of the Broncos’ six victories.
http://www.espnmadison.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=22601&is_corp=1

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I have heard it on NFLN that Manning isnt calling his own plays as he has in the past and can't get used to new system

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I have heard it on NFLN that Manning isnt calling his own plays as he has in the past and can't get used to new system

I read the same thing. Let's hope during the bye week, the Bronco's didn't decide that it would be better to give full control back to Manning :coffee:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Von Miller and Demarcus Ware!! These two have been on a tear and I absolutely have zero confidence that either tackle can block these two one on one. I hope to see some screens and chips from the backs .

D

Deleted member 6794

Von Miller and Demarcus Ware!! These two have been on a tear and I absolutely have zero confidence that either tackle can block these two one on one. I hope to see some screens and chips from the backs .

The Broncos defense is an excellent unit but those two and their starting corners are truly elite. If the Packers are able to effectively run the football that would go a long way towards winning this game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The good news is, we have beaten teams who had what were considered to be "tough" defenses at the time we played them, with wins over Chicago, Seattle and St. Louis. I think at the time we played them, K.C. even had a scary D. San Fran (on the road) was probably the worst Defense we played, so that was disappointing to put up as few points as we did.

D

Deleted member 6794

The good news is, we have beaten teams who had what were considered to be "tough" defenses at the time we played them, with wins over Chicago, Seattle and St. Louis. I think at the time we played them, K.C. even had a scary D. San Fran (on the road) was probably the worst Defense we played, so that was disappointing to put up as few points as we did.

Mostly agree with the other ones but there wasn't anyone considering the Bears defense a tough one entering the season.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
why do we have another thread on Denver?

We have a sticky thread on Denver please use it

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Mostly agree with the other ones but there wasn't anyone considering the Bears defense a tough one entering the season.

You are correct, I probably should have left the Bears off that list. Their D is currently near the bottom in the PPG stat, but in the top 10 for YPG.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something that hasn't been mentioned much in this week's game discussions is Denver's pass on Eddie Lacy in the draft two years ago in favor of Montee Ball.

I found this article on a number of misses by the Broncos in recent years.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/7/3/8887261/broncos-all-could-have-been-team-headlined-by-russell-wilson

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/9/6/9262231/montee-ball-release-roster-cuts-broncos

I agree that Ball over Lacy was a poor selection.

Most of the Russell Wilson article can be done with any team though. It's easy to look back and say who should have been picked instead. For the Broncos to have actually picked the guys the article said they should have, they would have needed a crystal ball to see into the future. No team will ever draft as well as the articles suggests they could have.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Jason Wilde explains the message this week going into the game at Denver is The Hero's Journey.
Mike McCarthy’s motivational parable to his team for this week’s battle of unbeatens comes from an unusual place, but it certainly connected with some of his players in advance of Sunday’s game at Denver.
We’ve heard about these object lessons before, for example “Keep Calm and Carry On” which McCarthy took from a poster in his kids’ playroom. This time he used a plot device used in mythology.
McCarthy has long believed that such presentations not only break up the monotony of game-planning and film study and Xs and Os football, they also engage his players in an important way.
Here’s what Linsley had to say:
“I think that’s the first and foremost job of the head coach, to coach attitude. And that meeting starts with attitude,” Linsley said. “I think the bad thing would be to start off the week talking about Xs and Os. When you’re talking about ‘The Hero’s Journey,’ we’re not talking about double-team blocks, or coverages, or anything like that. We’re talking about the way you approach the week and the way you approach the process and your attitude. That’s like the foundation of this whole thing, the attitude you take and the approach you attack each week with.”
http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=22621&is_corp=1

I also thought what I heard on the latest Mike McCarthy show was interesting and it was confirmed in Wilde’s story. In past seasons, McCarthy has broken the season into quarters. Win each quarter and you’re in the playoffs. Of course the main focus is always the upcoming game but rather than having players look too far ahead, I think breaking up the season makes sense. For the first time I remember, McCarthy is changing that up and breaking the season into “thirds”. The first third is over and was marked by the bye week. The next third is six games and ends after the Thursday night game at Detroit; it includes four consecutive division games. The Packers have nine days off between that game and the next game against the Cowboys at home; that’s a mini- bye. The last four games are all Sunday games.

Last edited:

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wont be shocked one way or another regarding how this game goes. Its in Denver. So the Broncos beating us wouldn't shock me. It also wouldn't shock me if we went in there and won.

This is one of those 50/50 games.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Is it safe to assume that Denver has more than an awesome, stupendous, amazing, incredible, "bend but don't break" defense? ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Is it safe to assume that Denver has more than an awesome, stupendous, amazing, incredible, "bend but don't break" defense? ;)

Think so and it sounds a lot like what we heard about the Rams Defense :coffee: 12th man in Denver though, may make their D a bit tougher on AR.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts