Packers V Bills Game Thread: Home is NOT on the Range Edition

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trade value goes up if a team is desperate because of Injuries. The guys on my list I think are easily expendable from a mid-season trade value perspective. I agree, you'd get less for them in the off season. While 6th round picks aren't worth much 4th and 5th round picks can get a team quality starters. Love, Savage, Smith, Tonyan and Lazard are all better than a 6th round pick.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe the Brady thought may be in his mind but I also believe Rodgers vanity is big enough to think the day would be shared honestly.....regardless with the extension he negotiated and the way the thing is structured I don't believe he is done for sure.

So as hard as it might be for even him, MLF and Gute and fans to swallow this year is all about setting up for 2023....the issue with that logic is there are TONS of contracts of notable players up after this year that would need replaced or addressed:

Amos
Cobb
Lowry
Crosby
Jenkins
Lewis
Lazard
Tonyan
Reed
Watkins
Barnes
Leavitt
Ford
Nijman
Nixon
T Davis

Then you have a few guys contract wise that don't make sense keeping without addressing/restructuring or trading:

Aaron Jones goes from this year hit of $5.9 to $20+ million
Kenny Clark goes from a hit this year of $9.975m to $23.973M
Bakhtiari is $13.42M this year and $29M next year...but for first year would save us $6M roughly if cut...if he wants to play out with Rodgers, would be amazing if he'd rework his contract, add a year maybe...
DeVondre hit goes from $4.2M to $8.25M
Rasul goes from $3.3M to $6.766M

If we want to exercise Love's fifth year that decision needs made by May of next year.

All that just to show, there is a TON of things for GB and Rodgers by extension to be willing to work through and possibly advocate to some veterans in recruiting to make 2023 viable push. The good news is Doubs, Watson, Toure all will have a full year of experience with Rodgers....even Amari is showing glimpses now or at minimum a pulse.
Good post. Check in with Ken Ingles before, he has the Packers starting next season as of now - without any signings - about 30 million over the cap
I'm of the mind like some of you and some of the pundits I've seen that no one player is going to be what puts this team over the top. Disappointed they didn't do anything? Sure. But I can understand it. I'm glad they didn't get Claypool . Wasn't too excited about him.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post. Check in with Ken Ingles before, he has the Packers starting next season as of now - without any signings - about 30 million over the cap
I'm of the mind like some of you and some of the pundits I've seen that no one player is going to be what puts this team over the top. Disappointed they didn't do anything? Sure. But I can understand it. I'm glad they didn't get Claypool . Wasn't too excited about him.
I'm not upset that Gluten didn't trade for a WR or OL or both before the deadline. One big problem - he was dealing from a position of weakness. Every other GM knew of the Packers' woes at WR and OL. So Gluten would have had to overpay, in the form of draft picks, and that's just not a good idea.

IMO the best WR out there was Brandin Cooks, and even if a trade could be worked out, there was no room for him given the cap.

So the non-trade may disappoint some fans, but 1) it would have been far too expensive, and 2) it's unlikely a WR or OL added now could significantly impact this team's trajectory.

Fortunately the NFC overall pretty much sucks, Eagles and Cowboys excepted. Nine wins might get a playoff berth. That's a big if right now. Even the Niners are 4-4.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THAT is what receivers have NOT been doing the majority of the season.

Hell of a play by Doubs. Now....find a way to get a stop and we might have something cooking.
True. But historically we did not need many impossible catches with a defender all over the play. For years our guys were open a good bit of the time. Even wide open. Not now. Even Richard Rodgers Hail Mary catch was easier than the Doubs grab.

Reaction score
It's easy to imagine Eagles/Cowboys in the NFCCG (I hate even writing that). I just have a hunch it's the Eagles' year, at least in the NFC. Anything but the Cowboys, please.
It’s tough. The Eagles may end up having one of the easier Roads to the playoffs. Obviously the fast start etc.. is huge
They could very well be 11-0 or 10-1 as they don’t play a winning team until Dec 4

I don’t think the 7-0 Eagles (.470) are any better than 6-1 Buffalo (.528 SOS) though either. That’s a pretty close AFC comparison.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have a top 2 corner in the league but he doesn’t travel with the other teams best wr lol. This staff is a joke. Savage sucks. I look at him as a poor man’s Nick Collins. Fast and athletic but never makes any game changing plays and can’t tackle. Nick Collins was the complete opposite.

I’m done with Watkins. This dude is soft as tissue paper. Always hurt and can’t be depended on.
Nick was terrific. Unfortunate that his career got cut short in 2011. Could have used him in the playoffs that season.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick was terrific. Unfortunate that his career got cut short in 2011. Could have used him in the playoffs that season.
Rodell makes a good point. Alexander wasn't on Diggs much, and hasn't followed the opponent's #1 WR very often. I don't get it. Barry likes zone but zone makes no sense with an athletic secondary. I'm surprised he's still around.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodell makes a good point. Alexander wasn't on Diggs much, and hasn't followed the opponent's #1 WR very often. I don't get it. Barry likes zone but zone makes no sense with an athletic secondary. I'm surprised he's still around.
Correct. I could see Capers playing zone because he lacked the talent and speed. But we have the players who are made to challenge.

Reaction score
Correct. I could see Capers playing zone because he lacked the talent and speed. But we have the players who are made to challenge.
Also if you have above pass rush pressure, you play more man and vice versa

Of course you need a pair of good Safeties (pair of Kings; pair of 10’s etc.) to back up man coverage.
We have a 10 and a 5 for Safeties ;)

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also if you have above pass rush pressure, you play more man and vice versa

Of course you need a pair of good Safeties (pair of Kings; pair of 10’s etc.) to back up man coverage.
We have a 10 and a 5 for Safeties ;)
Right. Capers put all his faith in Clay Matthews who was either double teamed or sent in on a 3 man rush. The rest of the front did next to nothing to get pressure.

Reaction score
I had some time to go back and rewatch the Buffalo game 2 things stood out like a sore thumb during the first half where Buffalo gashed us

1. We played an abundance of 6 In the box. Even then we dropped 1-2 LB’s and often just 4 Defenders inside 5 yards from the LOS. The Bills clearly recognized this and just gashed us repeatedly underneath with a 6 on our 4 4 contest. No Defense could’ve converted 6 O players with 4 guys effectively.

2. Darnel Savage was so bad that I lost track in the double digits of how many missed tackles and missed TD passes he gave up. Savage was directly responsible for giving 14 Points. Not only is he bad, but other players expect him to make a play so they let up, only to see the Ball carrier run right past him and then it’s too late. It’s my opinion his “fake” tackles are almost WWF level fake when you slow the film. It’s scary bad. Kevin King looks like a 5 time All Pro in Comparative play

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had some time to go back and rewatch the Buffalo game 2 things stood out like a sore thumb during the first half where Buffalo gashed us

1. We played an abundance of 6 In the box. Even then we dropped 1-2 LB’s and often just 4 Defenders inside 5 yards from the LOS. The Bills clearly recognized this and just gashed us repeatedly underneath with a 6 on our 4 4 contest. No Defense could’ve converted 6 O players with 4 guys effectively.

2. Darnel Savage was so bad that I lost track in the double digits of how many missed tackles and missed TD passes he gave up. Savage was directly responsible for giving 14 Points. Not only is he bad, but other players expect him to make a play so they let up, only to see the Ball carrier run right past him and then it’s too late. It’s my opinion his “fake” tackles are almost WWF level fake when you slow the film. It’s scary bad. Kevin King looks like a 5 time All Pro in Comparative play
Too bad about Savage.We had hopes for him. Was Barry just so afraid of Diggs and the long stuff?

Killer Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a touchdown!!! Doubs has all that talent, he just needs the confidence ..... hopefully this is the start.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a touchdown!!! Doubs has all that talent, he just needs the confidence ..... hopefully this is the start.
Watson, right Killer? Yeah he had a breakout game. He made small mistakes that will be fixed I hope. I don't want him to just be MVS 2.0, but he showed some route running skills to go w his speed. Good to see, finally! And kinda sweet to win against MM.

Dallas writers will torture MM for not kicking a field goal on 4th and 4. Thanks Mike!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thanks for the detail. Hey Rudy Ford has the hot hand. Start him and sit Savage. Just play Ford as long as he stays hot, and he's certainly better than Savage.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watson, right Killer? Yeah he had a breakout game. He made small mistakes that will be fixed I hope. I don't want him to just be MVS 2.0, but he showed some route running skills to go w his speed. Good to see, finally! And kinda sweet to win against MM.

Dallas writers will torture MM for not kicking a field goal on 4th and 4. Thanks Mike!
They should not. It is mid November in Green Bay. The weather was cold. The field slippery. Crosby missed from 54. In OT if he misses the FG we have even better position and it is sudden death. If they want to hammer MM do it for not gashing us with a run play on 3rd down and maybe 4th.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They should not. It is mid November in Green Bay. The weather was cold. The field slippery. Crosby missed from 54. In OT if he misses the FG we have even better position and it is sudden death. If they want to hammer MM do it for not gashing us with a run play on 3rd down and maybe 4th.
On second thought, I think you're right. They have a good kicker, but that would have been a 50 plus yard FG, right? And yeah, the run game is more likely to succeed on a cold day in November at Lambeau. The D did a good job stopping them.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On second thought, I think you're right. They have a good kicker, but that would have been a 50 plus yard FG, right? And yeah, the run game is more likely to succeed on a cold day in November at Lambeau. The D did a good job stopping them.
Putting the shoe on the other foot MLF would have probably done the same thing. My thought is if it is 3rd and a long 3 the Boys should have run the ball knowing that they are in 4 down territory. That leaves them 4th down and short if the run does fall short. And then they have even more options.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Putting the shoe on the other foot MLF would have probably done the same thing. My thought is if it is 3rd and a long 3 the Boys should have run the ball knowing that they are in 4 down territory. That leaves them 4th down and short if the run does fall short. And then they have even more options.
Sounds familiar, doesn't it? The Packers have been in that situation, usually at the goal line, where MLF will call two pass plays (4 down territory). Passing down there is dicey anyway because there is just not a lot of room to work with. And when you have guys like Jones and Dillon, well enough said.

And I agree MLF would have gone for it on fourth down rather than risk a 50 plus yard field goal in those conditions. To your earlier point, Crosby had a terrible kick from 54 yards earlier.

I think the Dallas press is giving MM some gas today but they shouldn't. He made the right call, just the wrong play. And credit an exhausted Packers' D for getting that stop. Good game all around. Hope it becomes a habit.

JoePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
J.Love really looked good and was in sync with his receivers. Much better look than what we've been seeing and I don't miss the rolling of the eyes.
There's hope!!!!!
Posted wrong thread.

Last edited:

Latest posts