Packers trade up to #21.....S Darnell Savage

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
One thing that is certain: this defense will have absolutely ZERO excuse this season. It’s time to get it done. Too many resources not to.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they will be. I like this pick. I think we're going to see a nice up tick in TO's from our defense this year.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s hilarious to me when people say things like “we coulda got him at pick 30 or 44” etc

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking at this guys tape he reminds me of another underrated pick that the fans hated at the time... Nick Collins. Time will tell.

one of my first thoughts. Everyone wanted Ernest Shazor, who went undrafted actually, and so many were not happy with Nick "Who"?

If you didn't heavily research this Draft Class, you wouldn't have heard of Savage, but he is an absolute beast back there. The fact that he was a factor in the near upset against OSU and kept Michigan also in check says something about his ability to cover the field.

H

HardRightEdge

I like Savage quite a bit. I was tempted to put him down for the #30 pick but convinced myself that they didn't pay "Smash" Amos $8.5 mil / yr. to play SS/box safety. I thought they'd go Abram or Thornhill at 30 or 44.

I guess they're taking Amos' nickname seriously. I guess we can say he's our new Morgan Burnett.

So, we're looking at 5 new nickel/dime defensive starters. Maybe more before this over.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s hilarious to me when people say things like “we coulda got him at pick 30 or 44” etc
Have you not heard? The picks were leaked on the web before hand...

In all seriousness, we can never know anything in life to be sure, just to be (extremely) likely. And I think whenever you read someone making such a statement you will have to think the words "in my opinion" before or after the sentence. I personally have gotten tired of adding that sidenote every time. Plus, a hefty amount of "IMO's" included messes up the aesthetic of my post

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why people are pretty dismissive of losing 2 fourth round picks.

David Bahktiari, Josh Sitton, T.J. Lang, Mike Daniels, J.C. Tretter, Davon House. All 4th round picks.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I exercised poor judgement and went back to the shoutbox, what a bunch of whining and sniveling from a couple in there. Anyway, What's not to like about the Savage pick? He tackles well, he plays the ball very well, and he's fast with some extra fast on top. He has the ability to make some big time plays back there. I can understand why people are hesitant on Gary, I am too. But what's not to like about Savage? some silly mock didn't have him going that high? who cares

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

David Bahktiari, Josh Sitton, T.J. Lang, Mike Daniels, J.C. Tretter, Davon House. All 4th round picks.

I wouldn't dismiss 4th round picks as worthless, but it's just a reality that #114 and #118 is a cheap price to move up from #30 to #21.

The trade chart isn't perfect, but it's a decent guideline. The difference between 21 and 30 is 180 points of value. The two fourths are worth 124.

Or if you don't like that, just look back on what similar moves have cost in the past.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I exercised poor judgement and went back to the shoutbox, what a bunch of whining and sniveling from a couple in there. Anyway, What's not to like about the Savage pick? He tackles well, he plays the ball very well, and he's fast with some extra fast on top. He has the ability to make some big time plays back there. I can understand why people are hesitant on Gary, I am too. But what's not to like about Savage? some silly mock didn't have him going that high? who cares
I think people arent mad at the pick. Theyre mad at the fact we swapped first with our two 4th round picks. As others mention we could grab solid starters and depth at 4th.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Throughout the process, Savage was regarded as a 2nd day pick... by the media.

Then in the last week, buzz began to build that the league liked him a lot more than media types.

We will never know, but there are some strong suggestions that BAL and IND were going to take him.

I would assume, given the move up, that GB rated Savage as their top FS by a good margin. In my opinion, that was the biggest hole on the roster.

That was their guy. The price was in their favor. I don't see why we should complain. Let's see how he plays in the pros.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its
1. the negligence of offense yet again
2. the fact that we gave up 2 picks in s round which we still potentially get some quality depth.

I have been high on Savage for months, but 21 is just a bit too high for me

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its
1. the negligence of offense yet again
2. the fact that we gave up 2 picks in s round which we still potentially get some quality depth.

I have been high on Savage for months, but 21 is just a bit too high for me
so what about the offense. It's like that, for almost everyone. I just went back because some joker keeps blasting stuff over and over and over and over again about wolf and Ted and now Gute. Check out the tops of all of his drafts. Defense is 2 to 1. There's a reason for it. Yeah we could have picked a WR and none of them would have been appreciably more talented than the 3 late round guys we got last year. and when you're paying the #1 QB in the league, you better be able to put a good offense on the field with less than #1 picks to throw the ball to or you paid the wrong guy.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Savage, but think we reached. Could have landed (possibly) at 30, and kept our 4rd x2 picks.

Maybe not. He didn't stand out from the other top.end S in the draft, but if they saw him as a difference maker, better than the others... Ok.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Or.....J'Mon Moore, Vince Biegel, Jake Ryan, Carl Bradford, Jerron McMillan, Jermey Thompson, Corey Rodgers......

Never know what the 4th round will bring. Gute and the Packers obviously loved Savage enough to go get him. He turns into a Pro Bowler and nobody is going to worry about the picks they gave up to get him.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won’t harp too much on it, but I’m not in love with either pick. There had to be someone who was going to take him before 30, otherwise Gute got duped. I just pray we’re not looking at another Kentrell Brice because they have almost the same attributes. Hopefully he’s got a way higher football IQ than Brice, Jones, or Haha did. I don’t wanna open the season with Tramon Williams starting at FS. So I’ll be rooting hard for this dude.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won’t harp too much on it, but I’m not in love with either pick. There had to be someone who was going to take him before 30, otherwise Gute got duped. I just pray we’re not looking at another Kentrell Brice because they have almost the same attributes. Hopefully he’s got a way higher football IQ than Brice, Jones, or Haha did. I don’t wanna open the season with Tramon Williams starting at FS. So I’ll be rooting hard for this dude.
Brice had speed, but couldnt' stay healthy and couldn't find the ball in the air. Watch this guy. He's fast, but can bring a tackle without killing his body. and he can play the ball, really well.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Most of the time teams trade up, it's because they have Intel that someone is going to take their guy. That doesn't mean they're right 100% of the time. But saying that player X "would have been there later" is basically saying that you and your iPhone know more than an NFL front office.

I for one have heard multiple sources over the past week indicating that the league was way higher than the media on Savage.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brice had speed, but couldnt' stay healthy and couldn't find the ball in the air. Watch this guy. He's fast, but can bring a tackle without killing his body. and he can play the ball, really well.

That’s why I mentioned the whole football IQ thing. Brice was terrible at tracking the ball and getting his head around to locate it...when HaHa wasn’t getting lucky by guessing he had the same issues. Plus he missed way toooo many tackles. I’d love for him to turn out to be this years Derwin James

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Throughout the process, Savage was regarded as a 2nd day pick... by the media.

Then in the last week, buzz began to build that the league liked him a lot more than media types.

We will never know, but there are some strong suggestions that BAL and IND were going to take him.

I would assume, given the move up, that GB rated Savage as their top FS by a good margin. In my opinion, that was the biggest hole on the roster.

That was their guy. The price was in their favor. I don't see why we should complain. Let's see how he plays in the pros.
Thank You, he was my top FS, I also heard Oakland liked him and then ended up taking Abram. Value for what we gave up was minimal.

H

HardRightEdge

I would assume, given the move up, that GB rated Savage as their top FS by a good margin.
Oh, I think you'd have to rate him the best classic FS in this draft. Top drawer closing speed, terrific ball skills, competitive at the ball. Quick to go along with fast; could come up to play over a slot. The only knock was his size, but I think that 198 lbs. at the Combine was a surprise; he looks slighter on the tape.

I just thought FS was Amos' job, running the back end. Now I think Amos will get more work in the box than I anticipated. We saw a couple of SS types, and I don't mean Burks or Jones, playing some hybrid ILB last season. Amos might be doing some of that as well.

Members online