Packers Sign S Giordano, Release S Rouse; Sign T Randolph To Practice Squad

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers have signed S Matt Giordano to the active roster, released S Aaron Rouse and signed T Dane Randolph to the practice squad. Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations, announced the transactions Wednesday.

Giordano (pronounced G-or-DAHN-o), a fifth-year pro, spent the past four seasons (2005-08) with Indianapolis. A fourth-round selection in the 2005 NFL Draft from California, he played in 55 games, including six starts, for the Colts. He will wear No. 47.

Randolph, who spent training camp with the Packers as a non-drafted free agent from Maryland, will wear No. 67.

Rouse, a third-round selection in the 2007 NFL Draft, appeared in 27 career games with Green Bay.

Source: Packers.com

paco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Goodbye Rouse, hello Giordano

Packers cut Aaron Rouse (2 weeks late), and sign Matt Giordano.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am losing confidence that TT has any clue about what he is doing.

Maybe Favre was on to something in regards to TT??? I don't know, fellas. This is another head scratcher. Rouse should have been cut long ago.

Another high-round Thompson selection goes by the wayside. C'mon, TT! Lose the panic button mentality already!!!

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is the Giordano guy and is he better than Rouse is the main question.
The real question should be is he better than Anthony Smith? I think smith actually had some real playing time compared to this guy they picked up from the Colts. Giordano seems like just a special teams guy.

billysofly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Giordano is more of run support

His notable combine marks include a 345 lb (156 kg) bench press and 19 repetitions at 225 lb (102 kg), 4.02 20 yd shuttle, 4.54 40-yd dash, 33.5 vertical jump, and a 455 lb (206 kg) squat.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love this move, but hate the time and the reason.
-
Giordano IMO is way better than Rouse. He would be an upgrade over Smith, had we kept him. But he doesn't know the playbook, and will not be able to play S at least until week 4, at best. He will be able to play ST, though, in which he's also very good at, but with him not nowing the D, I doubt he'll be active. I'm sensing Bush and Martin or Underwood starting. And that does not bode well... We better play some very hard nosed, in your face football, or else it's going to be the same drama it was against the bengals, despite St. Louis' terrible quality (prob. worst team in the league).

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I don't know why Green Bay is so afraid to bring guys in who have some attitude issues. I mean, Belechick made it work with Moss. Granted maybe that is the exception.

Imagine where we would be if we had Anthony Smith and Giordano from the beginning of the season.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why Green Bay is so afraid to bring guys in who have some attitude issues. I mean, Belechick made it work with Moss. Granted maybe that is the exception.
Belicheck made it work so far whilst they had a winning season but when it turns sour in Boston look for him to start running his mouth again. I don't think Moss would have endured last season's 6-10 season.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
From jsonline blog posted after the release

(Aaron Rouse) took a poor leverage angle on the third-and-34 screen the Bengals converted, then was supposed to be playing deep zone on the next play, when (Carson) Palmer hit WR Chad Ochocinco for 44 on a flea-flicker. In Rouse’s defense, ILB Brandon Chillar also took a bad angle on the screen and CBs Charles Woodson and Al Harris overbought on the flea-flicker — not surprising, given the Packers’ struggles stopping the run. But Rouse also erred on WR Chris Henry’s 5-yard TD catch, showing a lack of vision as he looked for a quick pass and Henry ran free on an in behind him.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The real question should be is he better than Anthony Smith? I think smith actually had some real playing time compared to this guy they picked up from the Colts. Giordano seems like just a special teams guy.

LOL Smith is cut, why bother discussing it, he is on the Rams now and not even starting..A Rams team that "supposedly" is worse than the Lions

so lets move on past a player that is not even on the team shall we?

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL Smith is cut, why bother discussing it, he is on the Rams now and not even starting..A Rams team that "supposedly" is worse than the Lions

so lets move on past a player that is not even on the team shall we?
The reason that was brought up is because they cut smith and others to keep room for the 3 FB's. He can't be too big of a bum if someone did sign him. Also we did pick up someone who got cut at the end of training camp.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder how much influence Dom C. had in this decision. I look at it this way. Dom C. is new and getting to know his players and what they are capable of. Since Rouse was a high pick for TT and Dom C. is the new kid on the block, I don't think Dom was going to butt heads with TT to have him cut. I think the Bengals game gave what Dom needed to approach TT.

This gives some insight to what is going on behind closed doors at the Packers house. I would love to be fly on the wall with a meeting with TT, MM, and Dom Capers after the Bengals game. It is certain alot of things were said and moves being planned out.

Great to see some action being taken, instead of MM's famous fix for everything, WE WILL PRACTICE AND CLEAN THESE FUNDAMENTALS UP SHOW.

I hate that Rouse was injured(not sure when he got injured, did he play through it?) but it sends a message to the rest of the team, if you do not perform to a certain professional standard your job will be gone.

realoatesman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Currently going to college in Minnesota, but origi
This makes me sad. I liked Rouse and I've never heard of Giordano before. Maybe it will be an improvement, but Rouse has made some plays in the past and it's too bad he can be cut for one bad performance. If this is the way our management is gonna run things then Barbre and Bush should be cut. Not that I'm saying its a good idea. Does anyone know who this Randolph guy is? Oh and Jamon Merideth is with the Bills now...sure glad we have 3 fullbacks.

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So about Giordano, is he filling Rouses roll as starter untill Bigby returns? Has anyone watched him play with the Colts. Was he s starter there? I checked the Packs website, the only info they gave was that he was in his 5th year. Nothing about his experience or his spot on the depth chart. I feel left in the dark about this guy and im not sure if im comfortable with him either. Maybe hes a sleeper, who knows!

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So about Giordano, is he filling Rouses roll as starter untill Bigby returns? Has anyone watched him play with the Colts. Was he s starter there? I checked the Packs website, the only info they gave was that he was in his 5th year. Nothing about his experience or his spot on the depth chart. I feel left in the dark about this guy and im not sure if im comfortable with him either. Maybe hes a sleeper, who knows!
I believe he started maybe three games in 2007 otherwise he is mostly a special teams player. He did have a 83 yard INT returned for a TD in 2007 against the Saints.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was a backup, that subbed for Bethea when he got injured. I don't remember if he subbed for Sanders too. He's a smart kid, and hits hard. He's not that fast but he's fast enough. I remember hm mostly from nocking Desmond Clark out during the SB. :happy0005:

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think another thing that people are forgetting is that one of our starting safeties now is Derrick Martin. A guy we just picked up about 2 weeks ago from Baltimore. I dont believe they will be tested much by the Rams but the following week may become brutal.

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully within the next 2 weeks Bigby will be ready to come back and Collins will be ok to go full speed if hes not right now....

OHIOFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This move is questionable, but where is the O line help. I have confidence in TT, but it is obvious that Rodgers is going to get a little gun shy after getting the crap beat out of him all year. The O line needs to be fixed NOW, trade who it takes within reason.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I think another thing that people are forgetting is that one of our starting safeties now is Derrick Martin. A guy we just picked up about 2 weeks ago from Baltimore. I dont believe they will be tested much by the Rams but the following week may become brutal.
I think coming from the team that runs the best 3-4 in the league (possible exception: Pitt) will give Martin a leg up on learning the system. In fact, i'd bet he's up to speed by now.

Maybe not though, I could be wrong.

Is it weird that i'm indifferent about this signing? Granted, Giardano is a pretty decent player, but I just don't feel anything good or bad about it.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think coming from the team that runs the best 3-4 in the league (possible exception: Pitt) will give Martin a leg up on learning the system. In fact, i'd bet he's up to speed by now.

Maybe not though, I could be wrong.

Is it weird that i'm indifferent about this signing? Granted, Giardano is a pretty decent player, but I just don't feel anything good or bad about it.

Possibly being around Ed Reed could have helped him out as well since they played the same position. How much difference is there between SS and FS? Is it just a matter of assignments? Reason I am asking is that Rouse was our only SS shown on NFL.com with D. Martin, J. Bush, and Nick Collins being shown at Free Safety.

Cobra5

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The strong safety usually defends the tight end in man-to-man defenses while the free safety usually reads the offense and helps defend where the ball is thrown. The strong safety usually will help support on runs where free safety support more on passes. This is just what I think anyway.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok great pickup, I read bout this guy Giordano before the season started and they said he was one of the quickest guys in the AFC for this position and is a pretty decent player. I think he is a major upgrade over Rouse after realizing who it was. I am pretty excited about this move, it is a good one.

Members online

Latest posts