Packers sign P Pat O'Donnell

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if they offered him anything but obviously they did not go very far out of their way to keep him. That is kind of like letting him walk imho.
I believe Gute scratched his head and thought there was no way they could come to an agreement by July 15. And trying to hold Adams hostage is not like this Packer organization. I still recall the story of Jim Ringo being traded right when his new agent came in to discuss Ringo's contract. Yes, this was back long before the free agency and cap era but it serves as a reminder that business is business. The Packers were still a potent offense after Ringo departed and won 3 more championships. So far Adams has none. We can only wish him the best.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Gute scratched his head and thought there was no way they could come to an agreement by July 15. And trying to hold Adams hostage is not like this Packer organization. I still recall the story of Jim Ringo being traded right when his new agent came in to discuss Ringo's contract. Yes, this was back long before the free agency and cap era but it serves as a reminder that business is business. The Packers were still a potent offense after Ringo departed and won 3 more championships. So far Adams has none. We can only wish him the best.
What you say is true but my comment was about the bear's punter.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What you say is true but my comment was about the bear's punter.
Sorry. Well, the Bears were not too concerned. They have a ton of needs. They finally have a placekicker who can fill one of Robbie Gould's shoes so I am sure that punting is not something they are too worried about. Heck, their ST made mince meat of ours on that last trip to Lambeau.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Honestly he's been a solid and consistent punter for years...don't dislike it.

*Edit: clearly I am misremembering him. Seems he struggled last year and ranked 31st in net average and 32nd in average hangtime....not necessarily what you'd want...

O'Donnell was in the middle of the pack in average distance. His net average is significantly worse because the Bears ranked second-to-last in average yards allowed per return. It's possible he was partly to blame for it but that's close to impossible to evaluate.
I think its safe to say at this point Gute is clueless on evaluating punters. He hasnt found one yet and was part of the previous regime that couldnt get one either.

It's mind-boggling that you consider Gutekunst clueless in so many areas yet the Packers have won more games than any other team over the past three seasons.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's mind-boggling that you consider Gutekunst clueless in so many areas yet the Packers have won more games than any other team over the past three seasons.

It’s the same argument I have for why the Packers made it to the NFC championship in 2016 when they had business being there. It’s the Rodgers effect.

But please if you think Gutey is this great punter evaluator I’d like to hear your reason why.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
O'Donnell was in the middle of the pack in average distance. His net average is significantly worse because the Bears ranked second-to-last in average yards allowed per return. It's possible he was partly to blame for it but that's close to impossible to evaluate.

O'Donnell by default should have to punt less on a Packer team that over the years has had a strong offense. Whereas think of those years in Chicago with a team that has loads of 3 and outs. In fact in one game, a 26-0 loss to Seattle, the Bears punted on every possession. O'Donnell missed his only game the following week because his leg was so sore. Mine would be, too.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
O'Donnell by default should have to punt less on a Packer team that over the years has had a strong offense. Whereas think of those years in Chicago with a team that has loads of 3 and outs. In fact in one game, a 26-0 loss to Seattle, the Bears punted on every possession. O'Donnell missed his only game the following week because his leg was so sore. Mine would be, too.
I'm not buying it. That punting too often tires out the poor babies. If that's was truly the case; I would not want him.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

It’s the same argument I have for why the Packers made it to the NFC championship in 2016 when they had business being there. It’s the Rodgers effect.

But please if you think Gutey is this great punter evaluator I’d like to hear your reason why.

My point is that Gutekunst has done a great job putting together a successful team. While I definitely don't agree with every move he has made (drafting Love being the worst one) I trust him in being able to evaluate a punter.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I listened to Silverstein say that O'Donnell is everything that Bojo was not. He is consistent, doesn't out kick his coverage, kicks well in the cold, and is a really good holder on kicks. I liked Bojo but he really did fall from the heavens to the ground in the later part of the season. You can't have bad special teams when going for championships. He'll be good somewhere once he shakes out the consistency issues, but is not the right fit for the Packers right now.

O'Donnell should provide stability, which is what this team needs more than it needs.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point is that Gutekunst has done a great job putting together a successful team. While I definitely don't agree with every move he has made (drafting Love being the worst one) I trust him in being able to evaluate a punter.
Punters usually come developed. Quarterbacks do not. So I would put trust in Gute. And I will say this for Gute. At least he MAKES moves. The guy before was like a king being mated on a chess board. To win in this league you have to take some chances. Some will hit and some will fail. I certainly hope Gute continues to make them win or lose.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Punters usually come developed. Quarterbacks do not. So I would put trust in Gute. And I will say this for Gute. At least he MAKES moves. The guy before was like a king being mated on a chess board. To win in this league you have to take some chances. Some will hit and some will fail. I certainly hope Gute continues to make them win or lose.
Let's be clear. Gute has achieved no more than Thompson. You can like or dislike the method that a GM uses, but to this point under Gute's watch they have missed the playoffs one season and have two playoff wins vs three losses. That really is no different than Thompson, except that the salary cap is a bigger issue now.

I generally approve of the moves Gute has done so far, but to this point, nobody can point to the results and show much of a distinction between him and Thompson. Under both GMs, Rodgers has won a lot of games in the regular season and then lost at some point in the playoffs.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's be clear. Gute has achieved no more than Thompson. You can like or dislike the method that a GM uses, but to this point under Gute's watch they have missed the playoffs one season and have two playoff wins vs three losses. That really is no different than Thompson, except that the salary cap is a bigger issue now.

I generally approve of the moves Gute has done so far, but to this point, nobody can point to the results and show much of a distinction between him and Thompson. Under both GMs, Rodgers has won a lot of games in the regular season and then lost at some point in the playoffs.
The big difference is that Thompson was in the job a lot longer than Gute has been so far. Give Gute 13 years and we shall see. Thompson had not 1 but 2 HOF QBs for his entire tenure. Gute will not be so lucky in a year or two. Now I could go on a long laundry list of Thompson sins of omission as well as accomplishments dating back to 2005 but I will not. Gute is here now. After his 13 years are complete we can put him in full perspective. So far the 2018-2021 Packer numbers are better than the 2005-2008 Packer numbers. That is a fact.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The big difference is that Thompson was in the job a lot longer than Gute has been so far. Give Gute 13 years and we shall see. Thompson had not 1 but 2 HOF QBs for his entire tenure. Gute will not be so lucky in a year or two. Now I could go on a long laundry list of Thompson sins of omission as well as accomplishments dating back to 2005 but I will not. Gute is here now. After his 13 years are complete we can put him in full perspective. So far the 2018-2021 Packer numbers are better than the 2005-2008 Packer numbers. That is a fact.

You also have to look at the overall strength of the team from this point going forward as well. Past results are not the only goal of a GM. Setting a team up for future success is also a key. I don't have the time or resources or quite frankly the memory or desire to go through a top to bottom analysis of overall team strength so I am not saying Gute has us set up better. I have no idea which team was better at this point in each GMs respective careers. All I am saying is that you have to consider that. It may be that TT had built a stronger team but I wouldn't bank on it.

Some will say that the salary cap situation in a year or two or 3 or whatever is horrendous and blame that on Gute but until those potential problems become a fact you can't really say Gute has screwed us in that respect. If the cap jumps a ton over the next few years it may turn out that all of this was not as bad as we are predicting.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Gutekunst needs to win a Super Bowl first to be considered on par with Thompson.

Both general managers took over a team with an aging HOF quarterback but while Thompson struck gold selecting Rodgers the early returns indicate Gutekunst whiffed on his first attempt on a successor.

If the cap jumps a ton over the next few years it may turn out that all of this was not as bad as we are predicting.

The Packers will have less cap space than a lot of teams no matter how much the salary cap will raise over the next few years.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gutekunst needs to win a Super Bowl first to be considered on par with Thompson.

Both general managers took over a team with an aging HOF quarterback but while Thompson struck gold selecting Rodgers the early returns indicate Gutekunst whiffed on his first attempt on a successor.

The Packers will have less cap space than a lot of teams no matter how much the salary cap will raise over the next few years.
Using the aging QB story is irrelevant. That first aging HOF QB took the Packers to the NFC championship game in his last year with us and then proceeded to take our division rival to the NFC championship game in his first year with them. And you cannot say that Gute has whiffed as of now. Rodgers did not start until his 4th year with the Packers. And even then his team went 6-10 which included two wins over a 0-16 Lions team. Regardless of how you evaluate Love he has only been on the roster for 2 seasons. If he starts in 2024 and goes 6-10 is he really a different whiff at that point? TT won a SB in his 6th season as GM. Give Gute that many and then give him another 7 just like TT before him and then we can talk about par. I do know this. He has a better record in his first 4 seasons than TT did. And it is not even close. And as much as the team overcame adversity to win the SB in 2010 they were definitely the bearers of good fortune. They finished 10-6 in the regular season. They were aided by a walk off punt return by Eagle DeSean Jackson to beat the Giants in the closing weeks. We escaped in Philly because Akers missed 2 very makeable FGs. And although we played a heck of a game in Atlanta we cannot escape the fact that in the championship game the Bears were playing a 3rd string QB for the second half. Someone was looking down on us. And that was it. One and done.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But they may not be forced to cut players they would rather keep just to get under the cap. Relative to the rest of the league no they won't gain any advantage but within their own organization they may get a bunch of help.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Using the aging QB story is irrelevant. That first aging HOF QB took the Packers to the NFC championship game in his last year with us and then proceeded to take our division rival to the NFC championship game in his first year with them.

It's actually irrelevant that Favre took the Packers and the Vikings to that NFCCG. It's a fact that he was near the end of his career when Thompson took over.

And you cannot say that Gute has whiffed as of now. Rodgers did not start until his 4th year with the Packers. And even then his team went 6-10 which included two wins over a 0-16 Lions team. Regardless of how you evaluate Love he has only been on the roster for 2 seasons. If he starts in 2024 and goes 6-10 is he really a different whiff at that point?

As I've mentioned repeatedly it's far too early to fairly evaluate Love. But the early returns aren't promising.

While the Packers finished only 6-10 in Rodgers first season as the starter it was hardly his fault as the team ranked fifth in points scored.

TT won a SB in his 6th season as GM. Give Gute that many and then give him another 7 just like TT before him and then we can talk about par. I do know this. He has a better record in his first 4 seasons than TT did. And it is not even close.

While that's true Gutekunst shouldn't be considered on par with Thompson as long as he doesn't win a Super Bowl.

And as much as the team overcame adversity to win the SB in 2010 they were definitely the bearers of good fortune. They finished 10-6 in the regular season. They were aided by a walk off punt return by Eagle DeSean Jackson to beat the Giants in the closing weeks. We escaped in Philly because Akers missed 2 very makeable FGs. And although we played a heck of a game in Atlanta we cannot escape the fact that in the championship game the Bears were playing a 3rd string QB for the second half. Someone was looking down on us. And that was it. One and done.

The Packers would have made the playoffs no matter how the Giants vs. Eagles game ended.

While that team definitely caught some breaks it was impressive that they never trailed by more than seven points at any time during the entire season.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's actually irrelevant that Favre took the Packers and the Vikings to that NFCCG. It's a fact that he was near the end of his career when Thompson took over.

As I've mentioned repeatedly it's far too early to fairly evaluate Love. But the early returns aren't promising.

While the Packers finished only 6-10 in Rodgers first season as the starter it was hardly his fault as the team ranked fifth in points scored.

While that's true Gutekunst shouldn't be considered on par with Thompson as long as he doesn't win a Super Bowl.

The Packers would have made the playoffs no matter how the Giants vs. Eagles game ended.

While that team definitely caught some breaks it was impressive that they never trailed by more than seven points at any time during the entire season.
You would think to realize that a REALLY aging QB won the SB just a year ago and he is in such demand that he may play long enough to outlast George Blanda. Yes, it is not entirely Rodgers fault in 2008. His GM and his coach had a lot to do with it as well. Nevertheless, I am sure you would say the same thing in 2025 if Love is the starter and we go 6-10. No, the Eagle win did not get us in the playoffs but it allowed us to avoid playing the Giants in the Meadowlands instead of Philly. Despite eking out a win in Philly in WK 1 and pummeling the GMen the following week would you have rather faced Tom Coughlin in NY. He knocked us out once before. And he did so the following year again. Trailing by less than 7 points all season long means you are in games. That is terrific but it does not necessarily mean you win them. Gute is putting up some good numbers so far. Give him his due time like we gave TT. And one SB trophy in 13 years? I would expect Gute to produce more than that if he stays even after Rodgers leaves.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

You would think to realize that a REALLY aging QB won the SB just a year ago and he is in such demand that he may play long enough to outlast George Blanda.

I never said anything about aging quarterbacks not being successful. But once again, it's a fact that both Thompson and Gutekunst have had a starting quarterback who was near the end of his career as they took over as a Packers' general manager.

Yes, it is not entirely Rodgers fault in 2008. His GM and his coach had a lot to do with it as well. Nevertheless, I am sure you would say the same thing in 2025 if Love is the starter and we go 6-10.

If the Packers finished in the top 5 in points scored I would be excited about Love moving forward. If the offense is the reason the team struggles that would be a whole different story.

No, the Eagle win did not get us in the playoffs but it allowed us to avoid playing the Giants in the Meadowlands instead of Philly. Despite eking out a win in Philly in WK 1 and pummeling the GMen the following week would you have rather faced Tom Coughlin in NY. He knocked us out once before. And he did so the following year again.

The Packers defeated the Giants 45-17 in week 16 of the 2010 season. I would have felt comfortable about playing them in New York two weeks later.

Gute is putting up some good numbers so far. Give him his due time like we gave TT. And one SB trophy in 13 years? I would expect Gute to produce more than that if he stays even after Rodgers leaves.

There's no reason to make a final evaluation of Gutekunst at this point. But he needs to win a Super Bowl first to be considered on par with Thompson.

Reaction score
Punter Pat O’Donnell reportedly kicked a ball so far? that the other drills stopped to admire it.
We got us a Punter!

We know he can’t be a worse tackler than JK Scott was

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Punter Pat O’Donnell reportedly kicked a ball so far? that the other drills stopped to admire it.
We got us a Punter!

I truly hope we don't have to find out if O'Donnell is capable of tackling anyone.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We got us a Punter!

Or a replica of BJ Sander.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I truly hope we don't have to find out if O'Donnell is capable of tackling anyone.
Pat can tackle. I watched him in college at Miami. Good athlete, good punter. We’ll like him. He’s also a really good holder, and Bojo sucked at it. Whoever our kicker is will be happy to have him, and that’s very important too.

Reaction score
Pat can tackle. I watched him in college at Miami. Good athlete, good punter. We’ll like him. He’s also a really good holder, and Bojo sucked at it. Whoever our kicker is will be happy to have him, and that’s very important too.
It’s a good point, good to know.
On that other part, I was obviously being facetious using him to tackle players, Let’s hope not that would not be good! :laugh:

I believe Crosby will be fine with a solid holder and better blocking personnel. Thankfully, Pat is a “very experienced” level in that regard.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And hopefully will have a ST unit that can block for our kicker.

Members online

Latest posts