Packers sign P Pat O'Donnell

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
Reaction score
The only issue with your analogy is if the kicker would have made 2 of those earlier 3 misses there would be no need for a game winning 50 yarder.
That doesn’t sound anywhere close to common. How often has that happened with Mason?

Reaction score
I guess what it comes down to for me is.....

1. How many game winners has Crosby made?
2. How many game winners has Crosby missed?
3. Is he reliable in the playoffs?
4. Is his kickoff performance still acceptable?

A game changer for me is if he's lost too many yards on kickoffs or is shanking kicks out of bounds.
When all the marbles are on the line in Postseason Mason is 31/35 88.60%

Something to consider. Before that last blocked FG Mason had?
he was 91.2% in postseason
I was thinking. Had Mason not had his last Kick blocked and made it. He’d be 91.5% in postseason and a perfect 70/70 XPM.

Trends.
In his first 6 seasons he had 1 season (2011) over his current average. He was at 76.8%

Since that time (2013) he’s been over his career average 7/9 seasons (missing his career average just twice in 2017/2021)

Over the last 9 seasons he’s 84.5%

Over the last 6 seasons he’s 84.1%

Over the last 3 seasons he’s 85.2%

What Captain and others conveniently ignore is he’s gotten better over time. I don’t understand why you would send a trending 84.6% Kicker that’s 89% in the Playoffs and perfection in postseason 70/70 in XPM packing for an unknown?

PS. Mason is 4 XPM made from his next milestone, passing Gostkowski for #6 in NFL history. Only HOF Lou Groza, Gary Anderson, HOF Morten Anderson, Adam Vinateiri, HOF George Blanda have been relied upon more.

Last edited:

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I know this is supposed to be about Pat O'Donnell, but it has clearly been taken over by Crosby. Personally, I don't trust Crosby. I've had a nickname for him for several years now. Probably a decade or so, Sir Shanks A Lot. I don't know of a kicker who has hit so many uprights. @captainWIMM, can you find if he holds the record for that. It's like there's a magnet in the kicking ball or something. I don't trust him. I think he is done and it is time to move on.

Reaction score
I know this is supposed to be about Pat O'Donnell, but it has clearly been taken over by Crosby. Personally, I don't trust Crosby. I've had a nickname for him for several years now. Probably a decade or so, Sir Shanks A Lot. I don't know of a kicker who has hit so many uprights. @captainWIMM, can you find if he holds the record for that. It's like there's a magnet in the kicking ball or something. I don't trust him. I think he is done and it is time to move on.
The numero uno reason we got Pat O’Donnell was to hold for Mason Crosby. The K and P are directly related in success and Pat wouldn’t even have a thread if our previous Punter could hold properly.

Never move on from an established employee that is successful and easy to work with and a good man in the community, especially for light and transient answers. It’s like messing with good electrical..
leave it alone.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Generally speaking, it is the punter.
So the deviation off topic is all the Punters fault! :coffee:

He had a couple good games thus far. 48 yard average I believe.
We know Pat has a history of “reliable in cold weather”.
I think this was a good signing

Who the heck was that kid that Punted like 82 yards?! He rolled it through the Endzone or it wouldn’t went 90

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
So the deviation off topic is all the Punters fault! :coffee:

He had a couple good games thus far. 48 yard average I believe.
We know Pat has a history of “reliable in cold weather”.
I think this was a good signing

Who the heck was that kid that Punted like 82 yards?! He rolled it through the Endzone or it wouldn’t went 90
The Saints punter had 5 punts for an average of 59 a punt. Unbelievable night for him. Probably will be the best of his entire career.

Our Punt defense sucks!

Our special teams overall is still shaky if you ask me. Nothing can be as bad as last year though.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Trends.
In his first 6 seasons he had 1 season (2011) over his current average. He was at 76.8%

Since that time (2013) he’s been over his career average 7/9 seasons (missing his career average just twice in 2017/2021)

Over the last 9 seasons he’s 84.5%

Over the last 6 seasons he’s 84.1%

Over the last 3 seasons he’s 85.2%

What Captain and others conveniently ignore is he’s gotten better over time. I don’t understand why you would send a trending 84.6% Kicker that’s 89% in the Playoffs and perfection in postseason 70/70 in XPM packing for an unknown?

What you conveniently ignore is that the rest of the league has gotten better over time as well.

Crosby ranks 23rd out of 38 qualified kickers in field goal percentage over the past nine seasons and 21st out of 29 over the past six (his FG% is actually 83.8%). That's still significantly below average. He has been better over the past three years (11th out of 30) but as mentioned above the 2019 and '20 season should be considered outliers for him compared to the rest of his career.

Personally, I don't trust Crosby. I've had a nickname for him for several years now. Probably a decade or so, Sir Shanks A Lot. I don't know of a kicker who has hit so many uprights. @captainWIMM, can you find if he holds the record for that. It's like there's a magnet in the kicking ball or something. I don't trust him. I think he is done and it is time to move on.

I'm sorry, but I don't know of any site tracking that number.

That was Matt Araiza from the Bills who was drafted in the sixth round this year.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only issue with your analogy is if the kicker would have made 2 of those earlier 3 misses there would be no need for a game winning 50 yarder.

As I recall, for some reason that was a bad day for both kickers.

And Evan McPherson is pretty good.

Reaction score
He has been better over the past three years (11th out of 30) but as mentioned above the 2019 and '20 season should be considered outliers for him compared to the rest of his career.
I’m actually surprised that he’s anywhere close to that good over the 2019-2021. I never would’ve guessed that after the colossal meltdown last year. He and his 2021 crew were awful, but he’s still ranked 11th?? Where will he be with a solid holder in Pat and better blocking?

I felt bad for Mason. over the last 3 seasons in postseason attempts (FG+XPM). Up until that block he was a perfect 100% 5/5FG 11/11XPM.
(after the block he's still a good 83% FG and 100% in XPM over the last 3 postseasons)

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahem.... eliminate 2019 & 2020 so you can show the record isn't good? They were anomalies? Let's reverse that. Let's eliminate 2012 & 2021, call them anomalies, and now we have a guy whose record is at 83.3%. That puts him a mere 4/10 of 1% behind Adam Vinatieri, and ahead of Ryan Longwell. Easily inside the top 35 all time.

We can play games with the number all day long and nobody's going to budge on their opinion.

Reaction score
Uteick
Ahem.... eliminate 2019 & 2020 so you can show the record isn't good? They were anomalies? Let's reverse that. Let's eliminate 2012 & 2021, call them anomalies, and now we have a guy whose record is at 83.3%. That puts him a mere 4/10 of 1% behind Adam Vinatieri, and ahead of Ryan Longwell. Easily inside the top 35 all time.

We can play games with the number all day long and nobody's going to budge on their opinion.
Exactly. if anything, saying 2 of the last 3 seasons are higher % outliers proves the point he’s getting better. I just hope this ST unit gets fixed, Mason is on pace to knock down some big time K over NFL histort. In 2 seasons he’s touching on HOF type numbers

He‘s also in a rare category of playing on 1 team. Green n Gold. Go look at the guys he’s about to leapfrog over the next 2-3 years. Guys a legend

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uteick

Exactly. if anything, saying 2 of the last 3 seasons are higher % outliers proves the point he’s getting better. I just hope this ST unit gets fixed, Mason is on pace to knock down some big time K over NFL histort. In 2 seasons he’s touching on HOF type numbers

He‘s also in a rare category of playing on 1 team. Green n Gold
Interesting fact to add to your comment..... Vinatieri got better as he got older. If we play "what if" with this thing, that could mean that Crosby is about to become an amazingly great kicker. Not saying it's going to happen, but like I've always said. It's subjective.

Reaction score
Interesting fact to add to your comment..... Vinatieri got better as he got older. If we play "what if" with this thing, that could mean that Crosby is about to become an amazingly great kicker. Not saying it's going to happen, but like I've always said. It's subjective.
Guys a living playing legend. With Pats help I think he make top 5-6 All-Time HOF worthy type numbers

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not advocating to eliminate Crosby's numbers from 2019 and '20 at all. But you should consider them as an outlier compared to the rest of his career. His full body of work strongly suggests he has been a below average kicker for most of his career.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not advocating to eliminate Crosby's numbers from 2019 and '20 at all. But you should consider them as an outlier compared to the rest of his career. His full body of work strongly suggests he has been a below average kicker for most of his career.
Like I said, if you consider those two years outliers, you have to be able to accept that there's the same case for considering 2012 & 2021 as outliers.

Now, you even have to add the caveat that the snaps, holds, and blocking in 2021 was so bad that it actually ended up costing us a promising season. You need to count that in as a major factor as to why there wasn't a 3rd season in a row of great stats.

We're going to have to agree to disagree. Sorry!

Reaction score
Crosby had a huge bounce back season in 2013. I don’t think it was by accident. If Crosby can get in that 83%+ range I’m happy. Anything over 85% and I’m elated.

With Pat holding we’ve got an experience, confident Punter holding. We need to have a proven LS, but I have a feeling the blocking on FG and Punting will be a major priority, almost to a fault.
I would not want to be the next Henry Black, who left home too early on Punt Protection and very likely cost us any chance at the NFC Championship @ Lambeau.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Like I said, if you consider those two years outliers, you have to be able to accept that there's the same case for considering 2012 & 2021 as outliers.

Once again, I'm not advocating for ignoring Crosby having two great seasons in 2019 and '20. I don't expect him to repeat those performances as he hasn't been able to do it for the majority of his career.

We're going to have to agree to disagree. Sorry!

The majority of Packers fans disagree with me on Crosby. I have a hard time understanding it as they aren't as lenient with other players on whom the facts strongly indicate they're below average at their respective positions.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, I'm not advocating for ignoring Crosby having two great seasons in 2019 and '20. I don't expect him to repeat those performances as he hasn't been able to do it for the majority of his career.

The majority of Packers fans disagree with me on Crosby. I have a hard time understanding it as they aren't as lenient with other players on whom the facts strongly indicate they're below average at their respective positions.
I think that one of the key differences as to why it appears some of us are more lenient with Crosby is that we have taken into consideration a lot of factors that push past the made percentage on field goals. Some of us understand the entire litany of kicking, that includes the holder, snapper, and blocking, and understand it better from that perspective. Then we add in weather, field condition for games, and all the other factors that can lead to success or failure on essentially every kick.

It doesn't make either of us right, nor wrong. It just means we disagree, for what we see as reasonable differences. It's discussions like this that help all of us understand the game just a little bit better, because it airs different opinions, and reasons for the belief.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I think that one of the key differences as to why it appears some of us are more lenient with Crosby is that we have taken into consideration a lot of factors that push past the made percentage on field goals. Some of us understand the entire litany of kicking, that includes the holder, snapper, and blocking, and understand it better from that perspective. Then we add in weather, field condition for games, and all the other factors that can lead to success or failure on essentially every kick.

In my opinion there need to be several factors taken into consideration when evaluating players at other positions as well. Yet no one seems to be interested in it aside of when talking about Crosby. Therefore to me it sounds like bringing up excuses for his below average performance for the majority of his career.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

It doesn't make either of us right, nor wrong. It just means we disagree, for what we see as reasonable differences. It's discussions like this that help all of us understand the game just a little bit better, because it airs different opinions, and reasons for the belief.
If you were to compare Mason vs the rest of the league, those conditions apply to all kickers. I think there was a stat that visiting kickers have better results at Lambeau than Mason so kicking there is a non-factor.

Members online

Latest posts