Packers, Shields talking long-term extension

H

HardRightEdge

yeah, cause we all know the vikes would be the first to want to snatch him up. lol

I wouldn't be too sure about that LOL. They let Winfield go, and I don't believe they have his replacement yet. Shields is not what you'd call a nickel corner, but the Vikes might want to move one of their other guys to nickel and use Shields on the island.

He's a good cover corner (I think top 20 in man coverage in the league), they're hard to find, and this draft is not particularly deep at CB.

The 2nd. round compensation is hardly enough to dissuade another team from offering him more than the tender amount.

It might take the 4 years/$16 mil we handed Jones. The fact another team has to give up the second rounder should keep a competing offer from hitting the high end of what would be his range in UFA. Accomplished players at age 25 usually command a premium.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm happy to see this. While not an elite player he is solid and trustworthy in the secondary.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Shields is our best cover guy. He's only going to continue to get better as far as technique and route recognition because we all know you're not going to outrun him with his blazing speed. If he stays helathy i'm willing to bet he leads the team in int's next year. lock him up,

H

HardRightEdge

If he stays helathy i'm willing to bet he leads the team in int's next year.

Some teams don't throw at him at all; others not much. Many of the better cover guys don't log many INTs for lack of opportunity. A lot depends on the mix of man and zone. More zone, more opportunities.

In my opinion, he's the guy on D I'd least like to lose after Mathews.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think Shields is our best cover guy. He's only going to continue to get better as far as technique and route recognition because we all know you're not going to outrun him with his blazing speed. If he stays helathy i'm willing to bet he leads the team in int's next year. lock him up,
I too like the idea of locking him up, but he may be viewed by opponents as the best cover CB so he may not get as many INT opportunities as others. And after watching Hayward's ball skills for a season, I wouldn't bet against him leading the team in INTs.

But as long as the team rebounds as far as INTs go, I don't really care who gets 'em. The Packers averaged 28 INTs/season for Capers' first three years as DC and finished either first or second in the league. Last year they were 10 INTs below their average and finished in a tie for 8th.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I too like the idea of locking him up, but he may be viewed by opponents as the best cover CB so he may not get as many INT opportunities as others. And after watching Hayward's ball skills for a season, I wouldn't bet against him leading the team in INTs.

But as long as the team rebounds as far as INTs go, I don't really care who gets 'em. The Packers averaged 28 INTs/season for Capers' first three years as DC and finished either first or second in the league. Last year they were 10 INTs below their average and finished in a tie for 8th.

Not having Woodson for almost the entire season hurt the int numbers i'm almost positive about that. I like Hayward in a tie for second with Burnett.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some teams don't throw at him at all; others not much. Many of the better cover guys don't log many INTs for lack of opportunity. A lot depends on the mix of man and zone. More zone, more opportunities.

In my opinion, he's the guy on D I'd least like to lose after Mathews.

I agree.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love it if the Shields was signed to a long-term extension. He played very well in two of the three seasons he has been a pro. It would be smart to sign him before his price gets too high.

This also might be one step towards Tramon Williams' final days in Green Bay. If Shields get a long-term contract, it'll be for him to start. Heyward was an ABSOLUTE stud last year. Devon House, when healthy last year, looked like a solid starter/sub.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Depends on if (and I think he will) he wins the starter job. I'm assuming it'll be for around 5-6 mil per year. Shields is a good cover man, and stupid fast with ups to match, but he doesn't like to play it rough, which prevents him from being a #1 CB. He still has shutdown ball skills and good instincts.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depends on if (and I think he will) he wins the starter job. I'm assuming it'll be for around 5-6 mil per year. Shields is a good cover man, and stupid fast with ups to match, but he doesn't like to play it rough, which prevents him from being a #1 CB. He still has shutdown ball skills and good instincts.

Play rough eh?? Ever hear of Deion sanders haha??? he was allergic to contact.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm happy to see this. While not an elite player he is solid and trustworthy in the secondary.
I agree with this 100%

He's only going to continue to get better as far as technique and route recognition because we all know you're not going to outrun him with his blazing speed.
Here is where I differ from most. Shields has great speed but I'm not convinced on his skill. I think that his speed masks his skill deficiencies. There's no guarantee that this UDFA will improve. I like locking him up because he's playing well, but I'd be more apt to want a 3 year deal so that we can re-evaluate his value sooner, or cut him sooner.

All of this comes down to MM's and TT's evaluation of Shields and how they think he will progress over the next few seasons.

H

HardRightEdge

I agree with this 100%

Here is where I differ from most. Shields has great speed but I'm not convinced on his skill. I think that his speed masks his skill deficiencies. There's no guarantee that this UDFA will improve. I like locking him up because he's playing well, but I'd be more apt to want a 3 year deal so that we can re-evaluate his value sooner, or cut him sooner.

All of this comes down to MM's and TT's evaluation of Shields and how they think he will progress over the next few seasons.

Shields has outstanding ball skills. His ability to track the deep ball and then defend it or pick it is, in my opinion, beyond question. Good enough, for example, to make Alshon Jeffery his little b*tch. Also good enough that he goes entire games with teams not throwing at him. Any "progress" from this point means Pro Bowl caliber.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields has outstanding ball skills. His ability to track the deep ball and then defend it or pick it is, in my opinion, beyond question. Good enough, for example, to make Alshon Jeffery his little b*tch. Also good enough that he goes entire games with teams not throwing at him. Any "progress" from this point means Pro Bowl caliber.

Exactly. Can't teach speed or ball skills, you either have them or you don't.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Play rough eh?? Ever hear of Deion sanders haha??? he was allergic to contact.
Shields doesn't play the same game Sanders did, and probably couldn't pull of that kind of off coverage. He'll still lock down a side of the field, and make the open field tackle.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
[Too much info on Shields] He played WR at Miami until his senior year when he switched to CB. He was also a returner at Miami (and scored on a KOR against the Badgers in a bowl game - called back because one of his teammates threw an unnecessary and illegal block). Anyway, his ball skills are very good - remember his rookie season? His problem was he was inexperienced at CB coming into the league and he got caught smoking weed which hurt his draft status - lucky for us. He "cashed in" with a $7,500 UDFA bonus and then excelled as a rookie - IMO because they gave him simple assignments: 'Cover that guy!' and he did very well. I remember reading that Woodson was asked by McCarthy or one of the coaches before the season his opinion on who should be the nickel corner in 2010 and Charles said, "the rookie". After doing so well as a rookie he struggled with an expanded role in 2011 because of his inexperience in the scheme and because of his timid tackling. He was told after that season he had to be more physical and he was in TC. He's never going to be a physical CB but his cover and ball skills make him extremely valuable. [/]

H

HardRightEdge

[Too much info on Shields]IMO because they gave him simple assignments: 'Cover that guy!' and he did very well. I remember reading that Woodson was asked by McCarthy or one of the coaches before the season his opinion on who should be the nickel corner in 2010 and Charles said, "the rookie". After doing so well as a rookie he struggled with an expanded role in 2011...[/]

I view it differently. Shields has never played much nickel corner. He was in the nickel package in 2010 and 2011, but Woodson would slide to nickel/linebacker/safety (whatever fit at the moment) while Shields held down a cover corner spot on passing downs. In 2012 he was a 3-down player at the edge when healthy.

I think his fall off in 2011 arose from a couple of factors arising from the generalized Superbowl hangover on the defensive side of the ball: playing for the highlight reel (jumping routes, freelancing) and making business decisions on the field (i.e., unenthusiastic tackling). Shields was not alone, just exposed in isolation on the edge. His in-season comments that there was nothing wrong with his tackling sure didn't help. And the tatoo...sheesh.

Such hangovers should last no more than 1 year (as though they should occur at all)...2 years gets you a ticket out of town as soon as an adequate replacement can be found. I believe Raji falls in this category. Williams too if there isn't a turnaround this season.

The question is whether Shields is ready to step up and take on the big #1 receivers in the division and league. He's been a shut down corner against #2 receivers and I have no doubt he can cover anybody down field (or as well as anybody else against Megatron). What remains to be seen is how he would handle Marshall, Megatron, etc. on the underneath throws. I suspect no worse than what we got from Williams last year.

H

HardRightEdge

I had commented earlier that Shields was so good that many teams just won't throw at him. Now we have a stat, courtesy of Hodkiewicz:

"According to Pro Football Focus, [Shields] led the league in coverage snaps per reception (16.3)."

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130520/PKR0101/130520044/Nixon-finds-his-footing-defense

His 3 picks and 10 passes defended over 10 games were likely near the top of the league on a per target basis.

I don't know why Shields is not at OTAs, but one can guess it's because the long term contract negotiation mentioned in the OP is not going too well. His salary leverage was diminished somewhat when nobody tendered him at the 2nd round pick price tag.

Members online

Latest posts