Packers roster turnover

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings have a lot of youth and are trending up, so no big surprise that they aren't replacing much. OL probably is the biggest turnover.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Vikings have a lot of youth and are trending up, so no big surprise that they aren't replacing much. OL probably is the biggest turnover.

The Vikings return every offensive lineman that played a snap for them last season. Their biggest loss was Mike Wallace.

H

HardRightEdge

The Vikings return every offensive lineman that played a snap for them last season. Their biggest loss was Mike Wallace.
I would regard Wallace's release as an addition by subtraction. The Vikings carried him at a $9.9 mil cap cost last season for what amounts to rotational possession receiver numbers. No dead cap.

As for the question, "what would he have done this season if he were still with the Vikings?", I would put very long odds on him putting up a $9.9 million season with the Ravens. The Ravens themselves, and the league in general, also put the odds at very long given what they're paying him.

Net, net, it's a big plus for the Vikings over last season.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I would regard Wallace's release as an addition by subtraction. The Vikings carried him at a $9.9 mil cap cost last season for what amounts to rotational possession receiver numbers. No dead cap.

As for the question, "what would he have done this season if he were still with the Vikings?", I would put very long odds on him putting up a $9.9 million season with the Ravens. The Ravens themselves, and the league in general, also put the odds at very long given what they're paying him.

Net, net, it's a big plus for the Vikings over last season.

Absolutely agree that the Vikings won't miss Wallace. From a snap standpoint he's their biggest loss though.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can parse it how you want, but they'll have brand new players at RT and LG, and people returning to old spots at center and right guard. Loadholt may have missed all of last season but Clemmings was nowhere near the stallwart that Loadholt had been at RT. In fact, the only player on the Vikings who started in their natural position was Khalil, who has sucked except for one season. There is a reason the Vikings spent big money on Boone and also brought in Andre Smith.

So they may be returning all of their linemen that played snaps, but each line position except for Khalil at LT will likely be different than 2015.

P.S. Mike Wallace did indeed suck

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

You can parse it how you want, but they'll have brand new players at RT and LG, and people returning to old spots at center and right guard. Loadholt may have missed all of last season but Clemmings was nowhere near the stallwart that Loadholt had been at RT. In fact, the only player on the Vikings who started in their natural position was Khalil, who has sucked except for one season. There is a reason the Vikings spent big money on Boone and also brought in Andre Smith.

So they may be returning all of their linemen that played snaps, but each line position except for Khalil at LT will likely be different than 2015.

There's no doubt the Vikings offensive line will look completely different this season than it did in 2015.

The discussion in this thread is about the roster turnover though and Minnesota will have all of the OL back who took a snap last season.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt the Vikings offensive line will look completely different this season than it did in 2015.

The discussion in this thread is about the roster turnover though and Minnesota will have all of the OL back who took a snap last season.
Agreed. So while technically true that they are returning all of their OL, my point is that it's a misleading description of their OL. They were below average last year and will likely struggle again this year.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed. So while technically true that they are returning all of their OL, my point is that it's a misleading description of their OL. They were below average last year and will likely struggle again this year.

I expect the Vikings offensive line to be improved this season but still to perform on a below average level.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Ted Thompson apparently also never talks about UDFA's so we can add that to the list of things he doesn't talk about. I'm guessing it was Tom Silverstein that was doing the probing. Don't recall Ted looking or responding that sternly though. Makes me wonder if this current batch of UDFA's is really really strong and Ted was annoyed that his little secret was slipping out.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Makes me wonder if this current batch of UDFA's is really really strong and Ted was annoyed that his little secret was slipping out.

I'm absolutely convinced every other general manager in the league evaluates the Packers players on the roster bubble during the preseason. A member of the media is for sure not able to expose informations about undrafted free agents other teams haven't already seen on tape.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm absolutely convinced every other general manager in the league evaluates the Packers players on the roster bubble during the preseason. A member of the media is for sure not able to expose informations about undrafted free agents other teams haven't already seen on tape.
I think that is probably true as well. I think his peers feel he's really good at finding guys that can play in the league.
I think you're wrong about the media. Silverstein sees the same game as other teams. I think he was trying to get info on how these guys were faring in everyday practices compared to UDFA's of the past. That would send a message to opponents if Thompson had answered those questions.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I think that is probably true as well. I think his peers feel he's really good at finding guys that can play in the league.
I think you're wrong about the media. Silverstein sees the same game as other teams. I think he was trying to get info on how these guys were faring in everyday practices compared to UDFA's of the past. That would send a message to opponents if Thompson had answered those questions.

Every single team in the league has a pro personnel department scouting every single game and player in the league. They don't need Silverstein to draw attention to some of the Packers undrafted free agents.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Every single team in the league has a pro personnel department scouting every single game and player in the league. They don't need Silverstein to draw attention to some of the Packers undrafted free agents.
Ok, so practice performance and improvement doesn't matter.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts