Packers retain Kuhn, Humphrey, Bigby

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yay?:

The Packers signed two of their exclusive-rights players this week, tight end Tory Humphrey and fullback John Kuhn, according to the NFL's internal transaction wire.

Humphrey, a third-year pro, is a backup tight end whom the Packers think highly of but who's had major injury problems since entering the NFL. He missed all of last season because of a broken bone in his ankle and seven games at the end of the 2006 season while on injured reserve because of a hamstring injury.

The Packers picked up Kuhn, a third-year pro, off waivers after Pittsburgh cut him last season at the end of training camp.

-------------------------------------------------------------

growth from within?

Reaction score
Packers have also re-signed Bigby:

Safety Atari Bigby, whose contract expired at the end of last season, has signed his one-year tender.

Bigby is an exclusive rights free agent, which means he doesn't have enough years in the league to qualify for restricted or unrestricted free agency. Last season was his second year in the National Football League, which means he will qualify for restricted free agency after this year.

Bigby made a base salary of $360,000 last year. In addition, he picked up $253,177 from the player performance pool, which is a league-wide fund created to reward players with low base salaries who play a lot.

Bigby's take in the performance pool was the highest of any Packer. His base salary this year will be $445,000.

Last year, he started 16 games and finished with 86 tackles, five interceptions and nine passes defended.

On Wednesday, two other exclusive rights free agents - tight end Tory Humphrey and fullback John Kuhn -- signed their contracts. Running back Ryan Grant and receiver Ruvell Martin are the remaining exclusive rights free agent still unsigned.

Good to hear, between now and the draft the Packers can work on extending their own players, and try to reach a contract that satisfied both sides with Grant.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd actually prefer to lock up Bigby for at least two or three years. I'm telling you, he's going to be good. He has the skills.

The problem with Bigby in my opinion is placement, and it's more to blame on coaching. The guy can hit and can make INTs. The skills are there. I'd hate to lose him after this year.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd actually prefer to lock up Bigby for at least two or three years. I'm telling you, he's going to be good. He has the skills.

The problem with Bigby in my opinion is placement, and it's more to blame on coaching. The guy can hit and can make INTs. The skills are there. I'd hate to lose him after this year.
Loved how he stepped it up in post season and made those plays. :pop:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Me too....that man can HIT!

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The coaching staff seems to be high on Humphrey, and Kuhn and Bigby played very well for us in 07. Not such a slow news day! There have been slower, that's for sure.

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'd rather that TT had him locked up in a long deal over Ryan Grant. A safety of his caliber takes a defense to another level, and while he made some really goofy mistakes early on - he came on to be a force.

I think his greatest asset to this team is his hard-hitting ability. Interceptions are great, but don't happen often. When a receiver gets in his neighborhood early in a game and gets hit so hard they get up looking out of their ear hole, that's a gift that keeps on giving. That receiver is not going to want to have that happen again, and when other teams watch a hit like that on film, they will go out of their way to scheme away from him.

That's why I like Bigby so much. For years, I've clamored for the Pack to get a safety with the mentality of a prize fighter, and they have finally got one. Lock 'em up Ted!

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure Bigby will get a very fair payday next year by the packers. I'd say there's a 85% chance of that, and if not, he will get paid well by some other team.

Teddy may be a stickler with cash(supposedly), but not with that defense, baby!

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:

Me too....that man can HIT!

Can he take you out Cheesey?

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts