Packers release Mike Pennel

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have released defensive lineman Mike Pennel. His roster exemption expired today, and the front office did not activate him. He is eligible for playoffs after two suspensions for failing NFL's substance-abuse policy.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
This one puzzles me especially with Dallas coming up. Maybe Pennel just cant keep it together. The guy had so much potential so kinda sucks.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
“Personally Mike, he has an issue,” McCarthy said Thursday. “And it's important, it's the focus of our football program to help him through this time. That's really my focus, and that's really the conversation that I had with Mike Pennel.”
http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-...pended-packers-dt-mike-pennel-he-has-an-issue

I really think with the Packers in playoff-mode they just don't have time/energy/desire to "help" Pennel through his issues. Not sure what they are, but last thing GB needs is distractions from their goals. He's a RFA in 2017. He's also the first Packer (ever??) to be suspended twice in one season, so "the leash" is pretty short.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They have plenty of staff the can help/work with Pennel. They could hire a team of therapists and drug counselors if they wanted to do so. The fact is that they decided that his risk wasn't worth the reward. I suspect that the clincher is that the "reward" wasn't very noticeable during the games that he did play this season.

All that said, I wish Mike well. I hope that he gets his life figured out. Partying, drugs, and alcohol should never get to the point that it ends your family or career.

Sky King

Reaction score
He lacked the discipline and the maturity to avoid making decisions that were against the established rules for personal conduct. He put himself above the team. Ultimately, what good did that do for him?

Now it's totally up to him to straighten out this facet of his personal life because nobody else can do it for him. He's "gotta wanna" and that's the key component to succeeding at anything. Or not.

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was hoping that he could play this week and he could
help contain the Cowboys running game. Do the Packers really think that Herb Waters is going to come in more handy than Pennel this week? What about Barclay? Again is he going to help in his "capacity" more than Pennel. It's the playoffs. I don't care what his off the field issues are as long as he can help get a w. Cutting him loose now is bad timing. It's not like they have another 335 pound d lineman waiting in the wings that can help this weekend.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not like they have another 335 pound d lineman waiting in the wings that can help this weekend.
Pennel made sure that the Packers found a way to play without him for 8 games ;).

Of the 65 defensive snaps yesterday: Daniels played 40, Guion 25, Clark 22, and Lowry 16. Datone Jones played 20, but not sure how many at OLB and how many inside at DT. Capers doesn't need more 300+lb'ers on the field, he needs LB's/DB's who can cover, blitz and tackle.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
help contain the Cowboys running game. Do the Packers really think that Herb Waters is going to come in more handy than Pennel this week? What about Barclay? Again is he going to help in his "capacity" more than Pennel. It's the playoffs. I don't care what his off the field issues are as long as he can help get a w. Cutting him loose now is bad timing. It's not like they have another 335 pound d lineman waiting in the wings that can help this weekend.
I always wonder about this mentality. As a Packer fan, who or what are we rooting for? In my mind the Green Bay Packers is a collection of players (human beings) that make up a team. I want to be able to respect the individuals on that team because without them the team does not exist. I know many fans disagree and would be just fine with an entire team of degenerates as long as they are winning. I am not one of those fans.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Strong agree.

It's not just what a guy gets suspended for. When you're a coach and you start preaching on Day 1 of training camp that you are a team working towards a common goal of winning the SB, you have to notice when guys (as someone said earlier) put themselves before the team. It's not only disruptive but not the attitude you want on the field or in the locker room.

Pennel wasn't adding much, but we may have gained something from subtraction. He needs more help than he was getting as a professional football player.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Pure talent, wasted with pure stupidity, what a shame

To get paid highly, to do something you love, and then blow it because you're an idiot ???? I've got no sympathy. I was pleased when the Packers gave Johnny Jolly a second chance, but it's getting old now with these people.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I really think with the Packers in playoff-mode they just don't have time/energy/desire to "help" Pennel through his issues. Not sure what they are, but last thing GB needs is distractions from their goals. He's a RFA in 2017.

The Packers releasing Pennel results in him becoming an unrestricted free agent immediately.

It´s possible that Pennel is out of shape after missing four weeks for the second time this season. I´m quite sure the front office and coaching staff did their due diligence but decided it wasn´t worth activating him for the stretch run.

Capers doesn't need more 300+lb'ers on the field, he needs LB's/DB's who can cover, blitz and tackle.

I wouldn´t mind having another talented defensive lineman on the roster to help contain the Cowboys rushing attack but it seems Pennel most likely wasn´t capable of providing any help.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope he gets help and turns his life around. That said, I think cutting him was the right move - perhaps he needs a wake-up call.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't seen any details in the news but some posters on FB are commenting on Pennel's use of medical marijuana to treat Crohn's disease. Anyone heard that from a legitimate news site?

I know Seantrel Henderson of the Bills has this situation and was banned for 10 games.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let this serve as a reminder of what drugs can do to a person. This guy was turning into a heckuva story (undrafted to starter to consistent contributor) and derailed it all because of drugs. I have battled my own issues in my life and am proud to say I am coming up on 17 years clean and sober. I have a little extra empathy for folks going through a battle such as this but at some point you have to demand accountability. Many times you don't feel the need for change until a major life-event happens and I would think this qualifies as just that. I am sure a team will give him a chance and I pray he is able to reclaim his life and reach his full potential one day. At this very moment the only thing he needs to do is worry about reaching his full potential OFF the field. Best of luck and God Bless to the young man.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I wouldn't be surprised if he is officially done with the Packers, releasing him could also be a numbers game.

We got a roster exemption last week. It expired. We preferred to cut Pennel vs. another man on the roster. Makes sense, as we are more thin at CB and WR right now than DL, even if he's pretty good (he was okay at best earlier in the season.)

Now, once our season is done, we might sign him to a futures contract.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always wonder about this mentality. As a Packer fan, who or what are we rooting for? In my mind the Green Bay Packers is a collection of players (human beings) that make up a team. I want to be able to respect the individuals on that team because without them the team does not exist. I know many fans disagree and would be just fine with an entire team of degenerates as long as they are winning. I am not one of those fans.
I for one don't care if the team is a bunch of degenerates as long as they win. It's a game and has little or nothing to do with real life so "Just win baby" is fine for the NFL. Do you really expect rich young men to behave all the time? If somebody would have made me rich when I was 22 I would have likely found a way to get in trouble so I don't judge the players very harshly when they get into trouble.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't seen any details in the news but some posters on FB are commenting on Pennel's use of medical marijuana to treat Crohn's disease. Anyone heard that from a legitimate news site?

I know Seantrel Henderson of the Bills has this situation and was banned for 10 games.
I haven't heard anything. I feel for some of these guys, as I know it can be a real benefit. My brother-in-law uses it as he's had four brain cancers in the past few years. It's the only thing that didn't mess up his head and body while dealing with all of the surgery and assorted pains. That said, players have to make a decision as many of us do. Play by the rules in your chosen field or take chances by rolling the dice. Pennel still needs to figure out what he wants to do and how.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that happens, Guion is going to be released imo. I suspect he doesn't have much trade value.
If Guion or Daniels were to go down right now, the whole defense would take a huge stap back imo. Guion needs to be resigned as well IMO. He has been a very reasonable priced contributor in his time here... I really like him a lot.
Clark hasn't shown that he could step in and replace Guion yet. If we added a good young stump of a NT. Keep Guion, Clark continues to develop (which will take less time at DE IMO). And with daniels, we have the ability to play a solid rotation to keep the big boys fresh and healthy all year.

Im just Curious. Say we get a good rookie NT. and why would we need to release Guion?

Lets say we didn't get a big NT rookie, and Daniels blows a knee in preseason... You comfortable playing next year with what we have??? Im not.

I said since minute 1 that Clark should be a DE. Could he grow into NT? I think he could with time. But he could play DE now. Its dumb not to do so IMO. If we wanted a NT to replace Raji, we should have got a NT then...

Last edited:
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I for one don't care if the team is a bunch of degenerates as long as they win. It's a game and has little or nothing to do with real life so "Just win baby" is fine for the NFL. Do you really expect rich young men to behave all the time? If somebody would have made me rich when I was 22 I would have likely found a way to get in trouble so I don't judge the players very harshly when they get into trouble.

I have to disagree with you here. They are employed by the organization, and wear the jersey of that team. Kids look up to these guys and see them as role models, it`s lame but it`s true. They have to understand this.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
If Guion or Daniels were to go down right now, the whole defense would take a huge stap back imo. Guion needs to be resigned as well IMO. He has been a very reasonable priced contributor in his time here... I really like him a lot.
Clark hasn't shown that he could step in and replace Guion yet. If we added a good young stump of a NT. Keep Guion, Clark continues to develop (which will take less time at DE IMO). And with daniels, we have the ability to play a solid rotation to keep the big boys fresh and healthy all year.

Im just Curious. Say we get a good rookie NT. and why would we need to release Guion?

Lets say we didn't get a big NT rookie, and Daniels blows a knee in preseason... You comfortable playing next year with what we have??? Im not.

I said since minute 1 that Clark should be a DE. Could he grow into NT? I think he could with time. But he could play DE now. Its dumb not to do so IMO. If we wanted a NT to replace Raji, we should have got a NT then...
I made my statement based on Clark playing primarily as a NT in the future. If the team were to draft a NT early as was the original premise, I think it's unlikely they would keep 4. I was figuring Price into the equation as well. An early draft pick of a NT would lead me to believe that Clark was going to be a DE going forward.

Members online

Latest posts