Packers release Mike Pennel

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I for one don't care if the team is a bunch of degenerates as long as they win. It's a game and has little or nothing to do with real life so "Just win baby" is fine for the NFL. Do you really expect rich young men to behave all the time? If somebody would have made me rich when I was 22 I would have likely found a way to get in trouble so I don't judge the players very harshly when they get into trouble.
There's a lot of room to go from a young kid making mistakes to being a degenerate. The latter have no place in society let alone being fortunate enough to be employed by the NFL.

You can win everything with a group of men who've made a few mistakes along the way, no need to keep a degenerate around because none of them offer anything an imperfect young man with a sense of things greater than himself and the moment can't give you

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Pennel made sure that the Packers found a way to play without him for 8 games ;).

Of the 65 defensive snaps yesterday: Daniels played 40, Guion 25, Clark 22, and Lowry 16. Datone Jones played 20, but not sure how many at OLB and how many inside at DT. Capers doesn't need more 300+lb'ers on the field, he needs LB's/DB's who can cover, blitz and tackle.
True to a point but if you have the right 300 lbers you don't need to blitz as many and coverage becomes much easier when the QB has to unload or move before he wants to.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True to a point but if you have the right 300 lbers you don't need to blitz as many and coverage becomes much easier when the QB has to unload or move before he wants to.
Even with the expenditure of high round draft picks on the DL the Packers haven't found "the right 300 lb'ers" over the last 8 years. From those snap counts you can see a large percentage of plays Peppers and/or Jones moved inside to DT in an effort to get a pass rush inside. A true, 3 down NT, IMHO, is a myth who can plug the middle AND rush the passer AND have the stamina to play 90% of the defensive snaps. Raji did that but was never consistently good enough in one or more areas.

Capers wants/needs flexible guys who can rotate in depending on the situation. Replacing (or re-signing and keeping a reasonable cap) Peppers and/or Jones will be one of the great off season tasks.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. Teddy will find a replacement who's working at the Sheboygan south side Kwik Trip and played his college ball at NAIA Baker (Kan.) Teddy willgo on to say of the signing, "There's always room on this team for a football player."

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Add Geronimo Allison to the drug list. Seems he,was nailed with pot in Manitowoc County in September.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He got dropped on final cuts, and got busted that night. The next day Packers signed him to the practice squad the next day..... So can they punish him?

Reaction score
I want nothing but the best for Mike. We each have our own struggles but drug addiction is one of the worst to overcome once the ball gets rolling. Sometimes losing something you love, like Pro Football to Mike, can be a catalyst for getting help. I actually believe he can still contribute.. but this transcends the sport and was the right thing to do and may even save this young man's life

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

If Guion or Daniels were to go down right now, the whole defense would take a huge stap back imo. Guion needs to be resigned as well IMO. He has been a very reasonable priced contributor in his time here... I really like him a lot.

Guion is under contract with the Packers through the 2018 season.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I fail a **** test at my job for drugs? I lose my job. I don't do any type of drug, nor do I drink.. but I am aware of the consequences. He got two mulligans. What else needed to happen?

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ve seen Pennel make several big plays for the Chiefs this year and he just made a another in the SB. Looks like he must have turned things around.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pennel bounced around since leaving GB. He had a banner in 2017 with the Jets to get a 3yr contract, but then was cut after only one year at the end of 2018. The Patriots picked him up in the offseason but cut him at the end of camp. That was a pretty good find for the Chiefs. I hope that the guy figured out his struggles, and stays away from the demons that follow championships.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pennel bounced around since leaving GB. He had a banner in 2017 with the Jets to get a 3yr contract, but then was cut after only one year at the end of 2018. The Patriots picked him up in the offseason but cut him at the end of camp. That was a pretty good find for the Chiefs. I hope that the guy figured out his struggles, and stays away from the demons that follow championships.
He's to the Chiefs what Howard Green was to us.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny how Andy Reid and his staff gave him a look and he produced admirably. He has definitely come around

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good for him AND Suggs.... both played huge in the 4th quarter. Sucks that Slim Shady had to sit. Must have been a tough call for Andy Reid!!

Reaction score
Pennel played good in GB in spurts, I don’t see anything much different? He just happened to hit the right number by being picked up in KC is all.

Each team acquired players that were kicked to the curb elsewhere. Sometimes it’s timing. Sometimes it’s a good fit to the players, coaches or system being run.
Tyler Ervin was a good example for us. I just hope we don't outsmart ourselves and send Ervin packing like we did Breeland. I Never understood that move.

Members online

Latest posts