Packers Release Jeremy Ross

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I knew he was gonna be gone after muffing that kickoff against Cincy.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank god. He negatively impacted both losses. To the point where it's not too far-fetched to say that he factored into both losses in a major way. Obviously the fumble last week led to a quick TD. We lost by 4. It was so early in the game that it's hard to judge just how much it changed the game. But, the final score would suggest a major impact. And in the 49ers loss, he put the offense in precarious positions starting drives with boneheaded decisions to bring the ball out of the end-zone. Against such a great defense, being backed up like that changes the play-calling. You have to wonder how that impacted the final result too.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will Franklin Hyde or Cobb be our return guy now? I personally would like to see Franklin on returns after yesterday's performance.

If he can catch - yes. I'm pining for Joe McKnight. He's a proven return man and we need healthy RB's anyways. Plus, it's not like we've trotted out 5WRs anyways. So, rolling with 4WRs isn't necessary for this offense. And I think McKnight could play the slot if we needed a 5th WR.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm somewhat happy that Ross won't be returning punts, but don't want Cobb out there either. Franklin didn't look good in the preseason. So now I have to wonder what the plan is going to be. Our kick returns might get worse before they get better...

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
Will Franklin Hyde or Cobb be our return guy now? I personally would like to see Franklin on returns after yesterday's performance.

The work before the draft on Franklin was that he didn'thave good hands. I would have liked to see this experiment in the preseason, but not now. Cobb is too valuable to put our there. I guess this is another spot where we are thin.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cribbs had 4 fumbles lost last year and some of those could have been on offense. His averages were still decent at around 27 on KO and 12 on Punts. You burn a roster spot with him and with the PUP guys coming back after week 6 (HOPEFULLY) roster spots will be at a premium.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The work before the draft on Franklin was that he didn'thave good hands. I would have liked to see this experiment in the preseason, but not now. Cobb is too valuable to put our there. I guess this is another spot where we are thin.

I hate to say it but we can spare Cobb, even without him he have 3 very dynamic pass catchers in Jones, Nelson and Finley. Now we finally have a couple very good looking running backs and an Oline that actually seems to run block well. I think you do put Cobb back there at KR and PR. He gives us security and he's great for field positioning.

If Cobb was our dedicated return man we could be sitting pretty at 3-0 right now.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm, why do I have the impression that a scapegoat had to be found.
Too easy for me.....
Anyway, will be interesting to see who will returning punts now....

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate to say it but we can spare Cobb, even without him he have 3 very dynamic pass catchers in Jones, Nelson and Finley. Now we finally have a couple very good looking running backs and an Oline that actually seems to run block well. I think you do put Cobb back there at KR and PR. He gives us security and he's great for field positioning.

If Cobb was our dedicated return man we could be sitting pretty at 3-0 right now.

Completely disagree. He's far too valuable to this offense to risk back there. We are three-deep at WR. Along with JMike, it's a foursome that is nearly unparalleled in the league. If he got hurt, it would dramatically change the offense. It's not worth the risk - except for certain spots where we need some spark or sure hands to field it and call fair catch.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Boykins has experience with the return man role. He is also smart, he attended VA. Tech where special teams are a pedigreed speciality. However I do not believe he will be chosen. It will be interesting to see the team that takes the field for week 5 .

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess that Hyde gets the returns now. He is not really a dynamic returner, but he has solid hands. Really that is the first prerequisite. All those muffed kicks and bad returns cost us big time.

We might also sign a new returner. The first name that pops up is obviously McKnight, since he already worked out for the pack. He is a good returner, and can also be an emergency running back (given the injuries at the RB position).

Third option, but a long shot, is that we sign Johnson or White from the practice squad to return kicks.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So how do they get it back up to 52 now?
Find someone who is either looking or playing on another team and get him or bring in someone from the practice squad.
It would be either one. Right?

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Glad to see Ross go.

Do NOT want to see Cobb back there.

McCarthy says they have a plan... anxious to see what it is. Curious about Hyde. Love Franklin in open space, but really don't like his stature. He plays very small it seems. I don't trust him hanging on to the ball in a KR/PR situation if he was to absorb even a moderate hit.

Not a huge fan of the experiments of this magnitude during the regular season, can't imagine the coaches are either, which makes me think that we may be going with Cobb.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The cost(his past and likely future mistakes) were too great to keep him.

And Mike you weren't all that and a bag of chips yesterday. :tdown:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Franklin has confidence now that he has game experience. I say give it to him. He's way better than Sproles ever was.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The work before the draft on Franklin was that he didn'thave good hands. I would have liked to see this experiment in the preseason, but not now.
They did experiment with Franklin in training camp. The pre-draft assessment was correct.

Franklin has confidence now that he has game experience. I say give it to him. He's way better than Sproles ever was.
He has confidence in running the ball. Returns are a different beast and shouldn't be equated to one another

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I would expect Hyde to take over for punt returns at least the rest of this season. With the expected return of Hayward and Burnett after the bye, he won't have a job on defense for a while. I thought at first Franklin would get the KR job but that would depend on the health of Starks. Probably will sign somebody that can do kick returns and also do one of the offense skill positions, most likely RB until Starks proves he can stay healthy.

crefan53

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he can catch - yes. I'm pining for Joe McKnight. He's a proven return man and we need healthy RB's anyways. Plus, it's not like we've trotted out 5WRs anyways. So, rolling with 4WRs isn't necessary for this offense. And I think McKnight could play the slot if we needed a 5th WR.
I think Joe McKinght may be a little busier running from the law than running from would-be tacklers.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Ross would have been an All-Pro ... a Hall of Famer. I'm going to miss him and his perky little devil-may-care smile.

Members online

Latest posts