Packers release Charlie Peprah

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
While his release may be a surprise, I don't think the timing of it is. Remember last season on the day, or day before training camp opened the Packers released Nick Barnett, Brandon Chillar, Justin Harrell, Brady Poppinga, Mark Tauscher, and a couple of free agents. I believe the same thing happened before 2011 so again, the timing isn't that surprising.

I don't think the release had anything to do with motivation, I think it had to do with not "wasting" snaps on a player they determined they had to replace. I thought they would keep him around for "insurance" but they apparently saw enough of the newcomers to feel comfortable letting him go. It also gives him a chance to catch on with another team.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the end, I think that we'll find that TT (as reported) felt confident in his two youngsters to start. Peprah would have been a good backup plan, but TT and Capers probably felt that Woodson would be a better backup at safety, especially considering that Peprah failed his physical.

All of us fans usually get butterflies in our stomachs when a known commodity is released, even if he's not a star. However we are not in the meeting rooms and often not on the practice fields (camp reports aside) so we don't have nearly as good of a read on the up-and-comers as the coaches and personnel staff.

Charlie deserves our admiration for doing his best when called upon, even if it didn't rise to the levels that we hoped. He tried his best.

...and to longtimefan - That's one heck of an accusation. It's very Michelle Bachman-ish. I'll claim something crazy but then say that I can't tell you how I know. Slanderous accusations are best kept to yourself unless you are strong enough to divulge your source. My analysis of your comment is that you likely weren't "there" smoking dubies with Peprah because if that were the case, you wouldn't be so angry about it. Therefore I have to conclude that this is second or third hand information that you are spewing on the internet and I'll treat it as such...rubbish until proven otherwise.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Woodson practicing with the base defense makes sense because he's lost a step to be able to cover one-on-one on the outside. He's a slot guy now. He needs to stay on the field as much as possible. But, even though he may be the starting safety in the base defense, that doesn't mean all that much considering how much the Packers go nickel or other sub-packages. The importance of Jennings' or McMillian's development is still critical to the defense's success.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and to longtimefan - That's one heck of an accusation. It's very Michelle Bachman-ish. I'll claim something crazy but then say that I can't tell you how I know. Slanderous accusations are best kept to yourself unless you are strong enough to divulge your source. My analysis of your comment is that you likely weren't "there" smoking dubies with Peprah because if that were the case, you wouldn't be so angry about it. Therefore I have to conclude that this is second or third hand information that you are spewing on the internet and I'll treat it as such...rubbish until proven otherwise.
I also have a best friend with ties to a few NFL players, and know things about some of them.
A few of these "things" eventually came out to the media and the player was in trouble, had to explain himself, etc.

Some remained secret.

I trust longtimefan 100% on this, and will not accuse him of being a liar or passing on bullschit. I trust him and his judgment, to be honest with you. He wouldn't throw some crap out there without it being true.
There are things about famous people that we don't know, and it doesn't take a candid photo or undercover investigation, admission, for me to believe it.

It's pretty common for American black males (and tons of other races as well of course) to smoke weed so why is this so hard to believe?

Future12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was never very high on him but he was a nice fill in player on some plays. I'll be happy to see how Charles does there and how Jennings develops.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jarrett Bush has moved ahead of Sam Shields, and Shields has a lot to prove in the next month to get himself back up to where he was as a rookie in 2010.
He's regressed.

V

Vigilius

Shields will get there. If they were putting House or Heyward in front of him, I'd be worried.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find that very disappointing. Shields was awesome in 2010. I wonder what happened to him.
I think he just took it for granted. It came pretty easy to him that rookie year when not much was expected from him, with his natural amazing speed.
But remember he had a good pass rush in front of him, made his job a lot easier.
They all looked way worse last year with no pass rush.
I expect him to bounce back by some point in this season. As long as he works harder.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's pretty common for American black males (and tons of other races as well of course) to smoke weed so why is this so hard to believe?
I'm sure that people do know things, but IMO if you go out and accuse somebody of doing something illegal without evidence, it's pretty low. I have no issues with anybody on this board and longtimefan probably is a great person, but I'll insist that stating stuff like this without basis beyond "I know stuff" is not cool.

The problem that I have with your statement above is that it isn't hard to believe. A lot of people might believe it and none of us really know if it is true. Should I go out and say that Clay Matthews ***** a girl at the bar bathroom the other night? You know, it's pretty common for white American males (and tons of others races as well of course) to **** women in bars so why is this so hard to believe? Because it's not founded upon evidence or proof that I'm able or willing to stand behind with such an accusation.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
What? Clay ***** a girl? OMG. I am posting this everywhere. Thanks for the scoop!

I am kidding, of course. But, I have to agree with Guapo on this. It's generally expected to have links to back up a poster's stated "facts" and I would think that this would be no exception.

Adios, Charlie. Enjoy your ring. It was well deserved.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An accusation is only as strong as the person who makes it. I trust that LT wouldn't make a statement like that unless he knew it were true.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
There is a difference between "knowing" something is true and hearing someone you trust say its true. Did that trusted person witness it or did (s)he hear it from someone else? IOW is it hearsay, double hearsay, triple hearsay, or more? Also was the alleged witness of this event getting high at the time, too?

Way back when, when reporters actually did their jobs the reputable ones would insist on two sources before reporting a story that otherwise couldn't be verified. Unless longtimefan witnessed it, I'd take with a grain of salt unless he has two sources for the story. IOW, I can believe longtimefan sincerely believes it, not call his integrity into question, and still not believe it myself.

[rhetorical questions] If someone posts that people of all races commonly engage in an activity, why would that poster bring up race in the first place? Also what do people who consistently bring up race commonly do? [/rhetorical questions]
- - - -

There was a story this off season which either explicitly said or implied that Shields was great in 2010 because his duties were almost 100% pass defense-related. He fell down on the job last season because those around and in front of him did too and because he was asked to defend both the run and pass. IOW there was a lot more on his plate last season. IMO his greatest failing was timid tackling and/or poor tackling technique. While we can question his coverage talents, we do know Bush is physical and he tackles so I hope Bush is ahead of Shields to give him motivation to work on his tackling. If he does that, I'm confident he'll be ahead of Bush by opening day. I hope House and Hayward will be pushing Shields and Bush too.

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
Not really surprised at all. Peprah was one step behind or out of position a lot last season...add in a bum knee and it's time to go.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure that people do know things, but IMO if you go out and accuse somebody of doing something illegal without evidence, it's pretty low.
That's what I'm saying... I trust longtime fan does have or has seen/heard the evidence.
He doesn't have to share the evidence, who/how part for me to believe him. And I understand why he might want to keep that part confidential.

An accusation is only as strong as the person who makes it. I trust that LT wouldn't make a statement like that unless he knew it were true.
That's what I agree with as well.

Anyway, Peprah is done.
I want Collins back.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not suprised he got cut, i figured he would have his starting role taken before we cut him. We just need more speed on the field with our poor pass rush... Peprah was out of position alot of the time and didn't really make alot of plays on the ball. what i am suprised about tho is Bush getting reps with the starter:confused: he's a good special teams player but i really get nervous everytime i see him in coverage.

Members online

Latest posts