Packers release Charlie Peprah

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, now we know one guy who won't be Nick Collins' replacement.

Via PFT

"Jason Wilde of ESPNMilwaukee.com
reported the news
after getting a text message from Peprah confirming his change in employment status. Peprah did not practice this spring after having arthroscopic surgery on his knee, but there wasn’t much of an inkling out of Green Bay that this move was coming."

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Nothing against Charlie but I was going to post in the other Peprah thread that we would know how much progress the team made at safety based upon Peprah still being on the team at the final cut-down. There wasn't any way he was going to start this season - he's just too slow. My hope was he wouldn't make the roster because there were better options available. Again, nothing against him - he played well enough to win a title next to Collins.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
*Threads merged as this thread was created one minute before the other.

I'm gonna miss Peprah, the problem was he just had too many injuries. I wish him well with his career and will always remember his good times as a Packer.

MackemPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that he was the only one but I thought he was particularly bad against the Giants in the playoffs last season. Could this mean a move to safety for Woodson or let the other guys battle it out in camp?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that he was the only one but I thought he was particularly bad against the Giants in the playoffs last season. Could this mean a move to safety for Woodson or let the other guys battle it out in camp?
I believe you are onto something there Mackem.

Why didn't they just put Peprah on the PUP list like so many other teams, guys?
If they wanted him bad enough they would have I believe.

MD Jennings?

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good sign with regards to the youngsters at safety.

Best of luck to Peprah going forward.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Can't say I'm surprised, he was one of the weak links on defense last year.

There are bound to be more cuts and roster changes coming. I just hope this season we get it right (Jenkins)

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least he gotta ring. He deserves it. Wish we had Collins back. Young guns will have to step it up.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/25/packers-release-charlie-peprah/

While I thought if the young guns showed something he would be a stretch to make the roster, I'm surprised by the timing of the release. Maybe he is more injured than was initially thought.
So right. I thought the move could have came around draft time. Nevertheless, Charlie did all they asked with what he had. Losing safeties in 3 successive seasons and he was thrown into the fire. If he heals maybe he can latch on with someone like Oakland or the Giants. Obviously, we're looking at green, green pastures in our deep secondary.
It will either be Woodson or maybe TT will go after someone. Just try to get someone who can stay on the field a while.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Good one less pot smoker on the team

Opppppsssssssss Can I say that w/o getting in trouble? I hope not, cuz if he can smoke it 4 days before a playoff game then he can kiss my *** lol

dont ask me how I know, cuz I aint telling

sorry charlie

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People forget quickly how well he played in 2010. The loss of Burnett could have really hurt, but he stepped in and played well. The Packers went on, of course, to win the Superbowl. I thought Charlie got picked on quite a bit, and came through that surprisingly well.

Thanks Charlie, and best of luck to you.

BTW, LTF - I never heard the potsmoking before the playoff thing. Is that a rumor or fact?

As far as Woodson to safety, wasn't that already announce about 2 weeks ago?

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peprah's loss probably won't hurt the team too much. He was a nice little backup that rose to the occasion when Burnett went down in 2010. He was very productive during that season. But equally ineffective last season when trying to replace Collins.

One thought on the move that I'm not sure has been discussed... was there any motivational ploy involved? If you read MM's quotes in his pre-camp presser, it was clear he wasn't happy with the team's state of mind. I wonder if releasing Peprah didn't also serve the purpose of making it known that it's all business now. Obviously, this wouldn't be the driving force behind the move. But, there might be something to lighting a fire under the team's *** on the eve of camp.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
I like this move for a few reasons. The main reason is that he's not that good of a safety.

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The first training camp practice is going on right now and I've been reading some of the Packers reporters' tweets. Charles Woodson is indeed practicing at safety in the base defense, like many here have said that he should. When they practiced the nickel defense, Woodson moved down to the slot and MD Jennings came on to play safety. Also, Jarrett Bush is the other cornerback practicing with the starting defense.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts