Packers reach 4 year/$96 million extension with Rashan Gary!

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Good, I'm glad they got this deal done. Now we need someone to step in and use him properly. I'll save that for the "Fire Barry" thread.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Truthfully I'm shocked it wasn't a higher number but seems (haven't seen actual structure) to be a very good contract for the team and him, solid amount of guarantee in that thing - over 35% signing bonus is legit.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This needed to get done. I'm glad that it isn't an outrageous number.

I saw Rasul Douglas say that he (Rasul) needs to find a better way to lead: https://www.packersnews.com/videos/...i-gotta-find-better-ways-to-lead/71378152007/

Now that Gary is a veteran and has been paid, I expect to see his emotions move on from the tears of thankfulness and joy that we've seen in the locker room. We just paid him to become a bigger leader in the locker room. Douglas seems like an emotional leader. Our other big money players in Jaire and Kenny don't seem to be the inspirational leaders. Jaire just talks a lot. Kenny may be a good voice, but I don't hear it as much as I see him do it with his play. We need a Woodson type that can get the team juiced up to play with fire, heart, and brains - not necessarily in that order.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This needed to get done. I'm glad that it isn't an outrageous number.

I saw Rasul Douglas say that he (Rasul) needs to find a better way to lead: https://www.packersnews.com/videos/...i-gotta-find-better-ways-to-lead/71378152007/

Now that Gary is a veteran and has been paid, I expect to see his emotions move on from the tears of thankfulness and joy that we've seen in the locker room. We just paid him to become a bigger leader in the locker room. Douglas seems like an emotional leader. Our other big money players in Jaire and Kenny don't seem to be the inspirational leaders. Jaire just talks a lot. Kenny may be a good voice, but I don't hear it as much as I see him do it with his play. We need a Woodson type that can get the team juiced up to play with fire, heart, and brains - not necessarily in that order.

Clark leads that defensive unit. There are strong leaders of all types, I understand many desire to "see" it visually on NBC or Fox but Clark is for sure one of the guys that leads that room at least from all intel I gather of the team dynamics inside.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Thank god Joe Barry sucks or otherwise Gary might have been even better and cost more.

ClutchLove

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a good deal. Rashan will likely get ~10-12 sacks this year and average that or MORE over the next 4+ years.....

I also hope he can step up as a leader on the D

Krabs

Reaction score
Where are all Worse pick ever for a draft?
I was bummed when they took him. I had no idea who he was. I know I never said he was the worst pick every, but was skeptical when they drafted him. After reviewing the pick it turned out they pretty much took him right where he was supposed to go. I was good with it then and I'm good with the re-signing now.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where are all Worse pick ever for a draft?
I would imagine a lot of them are saying they're happy he's turned out well but they were right for a couple of years. If you have 20/20 vision that ar in the future, please let me know, and I'll fire my financial guy and turn it over to you. :)

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I was bummed when they took him. I had no idea who he was. I know I never said he was the worst pick every, but was skeptical when they drafted him. After reviewing the pick it turned out they pretty much took him right where he was supposed to go. I was good with it then and I'm good with the re-signing now.
Just remember that the scouts know a lot more about projecting NFL talent than EVERYONE on a fan forum. We're just merely pathetic rank amateurs in the draft game.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's like saying the scouts are better at playing roulette than the fans. How many would argue with 'the draft is a crapshoot'? How many instances of the fans moaning about specific choices have come true (Love, Myers, et.al)? Take it further - how many fans would have worse coaches than some that the Pack has or recently jettisoned? Just because somebody gets paid to do a job does not mean they're any better than someone who does something else.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just remember that the scouts know a lot more about projecting NFL talent than EVERYONE on a fan forum. We're just merely pathetic rank amateurs in the draft game.
Does not change the fact that scouts should be compared to their peers. How have ours been doing? I am not sure. And how long have we had the same scouts? Who hires them? Who is our head scout and how old is he?

Krabs

Reaction score
100%, that's why I don't freak out anymore. I just do a bit of research to get to know the new players, where they came from, and let the chips fall where they may.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm hoping to change that - albeit someday.

I've actually had a few interviews, shared my pre-draft scouting approach and how I organize and really my whole process...while impressed - this dude was awesome he spent the next hour working through film on a guy I provided as four of my examples to help me understand the depth I needed - they wanted to see four prospects I had confidence in my rankings, grading and such (Day1, Day2 and a Day3 plus a UDFA type priority guy).

I learned more in that hour on how to analyze and dissect film on a single player than I bet I EVER learn. That dude is a guy I still tap from time to time on just to bounce thoughts off of..try not to a lot to abuse the connection but man what a resource.

All that to say, these scouts are something else....like a level of analysis NONE of us will sniff unless we literally can devote our entire days, weeks and months to it. It's incredible to think that teams have entire department of people like the guy I got to talk to and they still miss on guys. INsane.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That draft year got a lot of people critical solely because I don't think many in the fanbase had paid any attention to the OLB's in the draft...we had just brought in both Smiths and Fackrell had just had a PHENOMENAL year. Made for a lot of "wait who?" when Gary's name was read.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's incredible to think that teams have entire department of people like the guy I got to talk to and they still miss on guys. INsane.
It all just goes to show that sometimes all the data and insights in the world are only as good as the people using the data/making decisions. It also shows that sometimes gut feelings are more important than all of the stats. You just need good guts...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It all just goes to show that sometimes all the data and insights in the world are only as good as the people using the data/making decisions. It also shows that sometimes gut feelings are more important than all of the stats. You just need good guts...

Absolutely....he shared a story one time in the past of a guy that he scouted, and he claimed he could not shake was going to be a stud. Problem was all other scouts saw was a consistent, fighter and a label he got a lot was over achiever. He was overachieving his traits and apparent skills. This guy wasn't part of the scout team that eventually signed him...but he banged hard for his team to sign Chris Harris on Day 3 of the draft and then as an UDFA....but he was the only one that saw it. That player ended up winning a SB with Denver, going to 4 pro bowls, earned one first team and two second team All Pro and is Chris Harris. He said that was the one time his gut was spot on....but as he said his gut is wrong at least eight or so times to every one of those