Packers re-sign Marcedes Lewis

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Great move by the Packers front office. This will keep the QB happy as he loves the guy...and they will not be giving him the FA or rookie WR of his dreams this year.

One thing I need to point out is that everyone keeps talking about the Bucs bringing everyone back, the Packers have not gotten any worse either. Losing Linsley is a drag, but I find it likely the Packers have a plan in house, or out when it comes to the OL.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah seems like they have great plan haha

I'd personally rather of had kyle fuller than both kevin King and mercedes lewis.

However since that didn't happen I'm happy to see him back as I think he's a great role player and leader but I believe they over paid for him as I doubt he was on any other teams radar for anywhere near that money

Although I should note as a person I'm super glad lewis/king got that much money good for them...but as a gm I'd be thinking I didn't maximize my cap space at all..

Reaction score
He’s still a great blocker and he surprised me last year with several of those catches as he showed some pretty athletic moves and can high point the ball nicely. He’s not a guy you leave unattended thinking he can’t factor in the receiving area. He’s slowed down a smidge in Y/R (10.8)but also his catch rate has improved markedly (70%) in GB. He’s a chain mover (7.6/touch) and he’s been a guy who doesn’t whiff on blocks and an immediate scheme fit. This will also help our Running game.
High character, low risk, medium+ reward.
Welcome back Marcedes!

who let the Big Dogs out? Not the Packers!

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The run blocking Y tight end is really important to this offense.

I'll be interested to see if they draft one in the later rounds to develop as an heir apparent.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah seems like they have great plan haha

I'd personally rather of had kyle fuller than both kevin King and mercedes lewis.

However since that didn't happen I'm happy to see him back as I think he's a great role player and leader but I believe they over paid for him as I doubt he was on any other teams radar for anywhere near that money

Although I should note as a person I'm super glad lewis/king got that much money good for them...but as a gm I'd be thinking I didn't maximize my cap space at all..
Perhaps that’s why you’re never going to be a GM? :)

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a lot of money but he is valuable and it probably has something to do with how long he has been in the NFL. I think they should use him about twice as much in the passing game.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great signing. He helps the offense more than most realize. A great blocker on the move who can catch. Defense always has to account for him.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a lot of money but he is valuable and it probably has something to do with how long he has been in the NFL. I think they should use him about twice as much in the passing game.

With the Jags Lewis had 6 straight years with more than 30 catches and he went over 50 twice. He went 58/700/10 in 2006 which compares favorably to the 52/586/11 for the guy so many people are fine with us using as our starting TE.

I realize that was 15 years ago and I'm certainly not advocating going with him as our starting TE I'm just saying that the guy wasn't always know for being just a blocking TE. He's averaging almost 12 yards per catch. Like you said, he deserves to be more active in the passing game.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Jags Lewis had 6 straight years with more than 30 catches and he went over 50 twice. He went 58/700/10 in 2006 which compares favorably to the 52/586/11 for the guy so many people are fine with us using as our starting TE.

I realize that was 15 years ago and I'm certainly not advocating going with him as our starting TE I'm just saying that the guy wasn't always know for being just a blocking TE. He's averaging almost 12 yards per catch. Like you said, he deserves to be more active in the passing game.
And using him twice as much in the passing game is not really that much. But it makes the defense think more and maybe use a defender watching what he does. He is good at chipping and then going out.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The dudes role in our system is not to be the pass catching TE...however whenever his number is called the dude has shown he is more than capable - just a slow lumbering body, but savvy in finding the opening in zones, his blocking-release is very good...dude is no chump in the passing game, but that isn't his main role.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Just not thrilled with this signing. Didn't look like a position of need relative to others when you look at TEs on the roster. So the 2021 roster will likely be Tonyan, Lewis, and Deguara. Who's the 4th assuming they keep four and don't draft another?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Just not thrilled with this signing. Didn't look like a position of need relative to others when you look at TEs on the roster. So the 2021 roster will likely be Tonyan, Lewis, and Deguara. Who's the 4th assuming they keep four and don't draft another?

My personal choice would be Dafney who I think is more likely to develop into Lewis’ role type. I just don’t think Sternberger has yet to develop into an NFL body. I think he’s an injury breakdown waiting to happen.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Big Dog is the only TE on our roster which can handle his responsibilities in this MLF system without question and be depended upon. If we'd not resigned big dog, there would have had to be a shift in blocking calls, play calls and/or lower efficiency if expecting Tonyan to fill his role.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we have seen enough of Sternberger. I like what I have seen as far as him becoming a receiving TE. I don't see how anyone could make a real evaluation of him at this point.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we have seen enough of Sternberger. I like what I have seen as far as him becoming a receiving TE. I don't see how anyone could make a real evaluation of him at this point.

The only valid issue with Stern someone could have is his inability to stay healthy, BUT I'm skeptical the team sees "it" in him as he was a healthy scratch some last season no?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only valid issue with Stern someone could have is his inability to stay healthy, BUT I'm skeptical the team sees "it" in him as he was a healthy scratch some last season no?
Like I said, I see the potential. But with having Tonyan and then Sternberger being hurt too much SO FAR; I can see him getting scratched for games because they feel like another position might be more appropriate.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
My personal choice would be Dafney who I think is more likely to develop into Lewis’ role type....
Agree Dafney* did not disappoint in the few games he played.
All the healthy scratch means to me is they needed Burks or someone else in the 45-53 area of the roster for special teams and/or an extra lineman because someone was playing injured and he was the 4th TE that week.

* Instead of Big Dawg maybe Lewis can be called Scooby?

D

Deleted member 6794

I like that the Packers re-signed Lewis but it seems they overpaid to retain a 37-year old tight end.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I like that the Packers re-signed Lewis but it seems they overpaid to retain a 37-year old tight end.

Lewis had the leverage. He was the only blocking tight end of his caliber that was available, and it's a position where rookies really struggle. This offense uses a true Y quite a bit.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts