Packers place Quarless on IR designated to return

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess that it makes sense for now. Personally I think that this is Quarless' last year on the Packers so I'm not sure that he's the right player to stick on the IR Boomerang (love that term now) but it gets us where we need to be right now with Guion. Maybe Andrew can be Letroy's "runner" going forward :rolleyes:

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I guess that it makes sense for now. Personally I think that this is Quarless' last year on the Packers so I'm not sure that he's the right player to stick on the IR Boomerang (love that term now) but it gets us where we need to be right now with Guion.

I was surprised that the Packers used it on Quarless as well. It seems like they didn't want to release any of the players currently on the 53.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I"m surprised they used it on him too, but I guess they must like their big men we thought might get cut a lot more than we think, on both sides of the ball and didn't want to lose any of them. At least for now. I'm sure the season will shake out that we may not have to cut anybody, though I don't want to see any more IR designations either.

Anyway, as soon as that play happened, I figured he was down, but he got up and got off the field. that surprised me. Hearing it was a knee injury later did not surprise me though.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ripper will step up and fill the void. All Quarless does is block these days with the emergence of RR. That Blackmon guy or whatever his name is can also be dressed for the game now instead of inactive.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since IR/return is use it or lose it, it makes sense to me to use it on Quarless now and lose him for 8 weeks rather than wait for a hypothetical injury that fits into the right time frame for a more key player while having a dead roster spot at TE for the next 6 weeks. There's only a few more week window right now where it would even be useful anyway.

Kind of hoping he gets his suspension in the meantime so he can serve it on IR.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Ripper will step up and fill the void. All Quarless does is block these days with the emergence of RR. That Blackmon guy or whatever his name is can also be dressed for the game now instead of inactive.

Backman will for sure be active on game days while Quarless is out.

Since IR/return is use it or lose it, it makes sense to me to use it on Quarless now and lose him for 8 weeks rather than wait for a hypothetical injury that fits into the right time frame for a more key player while having a dead roster spot at TE for the next 6 weeks. There's only a few more week window right now where it would even be useful anyway.

Kind of hoping he gets his suspension in the meantime so he can serve it on IR.

While it's possible Quarless could serve the suspension on IR he wouldn't be allowed to be treated by the Packers medical staff or use the team's rehab facilities during the suspension, which wouldn't be ideal either.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe that's the entire reason for using the IR Boomerang, because he doesn't really need eight weeks to recover but that they still expect a suspension so the timeframe fits.
...rather than wait for a hypothetical injury that fits into the right time frame for a more key player while having a dead roster spot at TE for the next 6 weeks. There's only a few more week window right now where it would even be useful anyway.
Wait for an injury?!? We had two go on IR before the season started and we have now placed a player on IR following each of our first three games. We're on pace for 18 players on IR! Of course that's unlikely to happen but at our current clip we will likely have another IR Boomerang candidate after the 49ers game.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wait for an injury?!? We had two go on IR before the season started and we have now placed a player on IR following each of our first three games. We're on pace for 18 players on IR! Of course that's unlikely to happen but at our current clip we will likely have another IR Boomerang candidate after the 49ers game.

Well you omitted the key words of what I said, "injury that fits into the right timeframe." None of Nelson, Barrington, or Boyd were 6-8 week injuries where the IR/return designation would have been appropriate or useful.