Packers Off-season

uwbadger12000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.sportsdialogue.com/NFC.html

PACKERS OFF-SEASON
by Jonathon Zenk <[email protected]>

The Green Bay Packers have started out the 2005 off-season on the right foot. Kevin Harlan first stripped Mike Sherman of his general manager duties and hired Ted Thompson from the Seattle Seahawks to take over the role. Then, the Packers demoted defensive coordinator Bob Slowik to defensive backs coach to take over for the fired Kurt Schottenheimer, who promptly signs on as the defensive backs coach for the St. Louis Rams. I feel sorry for them! Then, Slowik signed on with another NFL team as the defensive backs coach. Recently, the Packers lost wide receivers coach Ray Sherman to the Tennessee Titans. Then, Green Bay hired former Packer running back Edgar Bennett as their running backs coach. Then, their defensive line coach got hired somewhere else. The Packers hired former Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator Jim Bates to run the Packers defense. Then, last Tuesday, Bates brought over some friends from Miami. Green Bay hired Bob Sanders and Robert Nunn as defensive assistants to coordinator Bates. Then, on Friday, Green Bay hired former Nebraska Cornhusker quarterback Turner Gill to be the director of player personal and offensive assistant. Personally, I hope the Packers hire former Packer great Leroy Butler to be their defensive backs coach. Although, this off-season has been great so far.

I think the Packers should release both of last year's starting safeties and probably Michael Hawthorne as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the Packers cut ties with defensive tackle Cletidus Hunt. Green Bay may re-sign tight end Bubba Franks, but will only be able to re-sign one of their guards, whether it is Marco Rivera or Mike Wahle. I wouldn't be surprised if the Packers try to trade Wahle. He is technically not a free agent, but his cap number is too big for the Packers to keep him. I will look for the Packers to sign a veteran safety to help with the poor pass defense. Then, draft a few more safeties to strengthen the defensive backfield. I see Green Bay going after Edgerton Hartwell, Kendrell Bell, or a Jeremiah Trotter and move Nick Barnett to outside where he was in college at Oregon State. Green Bay will also try and restructure the contract of wide receiver Javon Walker.

The Packers have three picks in the first two rounds. These picks should be defensive. Maybe a defensive end, inside linebacker, a safety. An end because they had a terrible pass rush last year, an inside linebacker purely for depth, and a coverage safety because they need a safety to start opposite of the veteran (Sammy Knight, Donavon Darius).

Here is who I think the Packers should draft in the first round:

1) Matt Roth-DE-Iowa. Roth may be undersized, but during Senior Bowl practices, nobody could block him. Gbaja-Biamila and Roth could be a deadly combination of pass rushers to a team that lacked just that last season in having one of the worst sack totals in the league.

2a) Earnest Shazor-S-Michigan. Shazor will step right in and start along side the veteran who they bring in. He is a good cover safety who can't be worse than the stiffs they had in the defensive backfield last season with Darren Sharper and Mark Roman. You can expect this kind of pick from Jim Bates because he needs some ammo as he led the Dolphins to second in the NFL last season in pass defense.

2b)Michael Boley-OLB-Southern Miss. The Packers load are starting to load up the depth at linebacker. They desperately need some as they will only return three linebackers from last year as Navies, Marshall, and Lenon are all gone because they are terrible. Now, they will start fresh with Barnett, Diggs, veteran (Bell, Hartwell, Trotter), Boley, and they draft Ruud in round 3). I expect a fast and very good group of linebackers in 2005.

3) Barrett Ruud-ILB-Nebraska. The Packers need to draft depth at the linebacker position. Steve Josue will most likely be the only backup linebacker on their roster because they most likely won't re-sign Torrance Marshall or Paris Lenon because they aren't any good.

4) Josh Bullocks-S-Nebraska. Since Michael Hawthorne will likely get cut, they'll need some depth to backup Shazor and the veteran. Bullucks will join Barrett Ruud as the other Nebraska player to be drafted by the Green Bay Packers.

5) Cedric Houston-RB-Tennessee. If Green Bay loses Najeh Davenport, they'll need a replacement at running back. Although, Davenport could get the middle tender, so if some team signs him, they owe Green Bay their first rounder. If Davenport gets re-signed, however you can then forget this pick.

6) Joel Dreesen-TE-Colorado State. If Franks doesn't get re-signed, you can expect Green Bay to take a tight end much earlier in the draft or maybe in free agency. If Bubba Franks re-signs, they'll need depth since David Martin is a free agent.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off - Shazor is NOT going to be available... so Jonathan should get over himself.
He can just forget it - that's like saying Erasmus James will not walk anywhere near the podium unless it's Green Bay "at bat" selecting him.... right outta the gate. Again - NOT gonna happen! James will be long gone.. I can almost bank my house payment on it.

I see at least one other guy who he flips right past and I gotta ask why that would be....
What say we all take a real hard look at: KEVIN BURNETT, or how about Brodney Poole - You know, guys who really "will" be available.
Jonathan needs to come outta the Twilight Zone!

The Running backs conversation 'may' have some... merit to it.. but that nonsense about Tight-Ends is just outta the park - We already have two TE's waitin' in the wings and tied to decent contracts - these guys can be coached and have already started a couple of games last year... They are: Ben Steele (Can you say Mark Chmura?) & Sean McHugh (Can you say Bubba revisited?)...We don't need to waste a damm dime on TE's.

Answer me a question: "Why... would Donovan Darius want... to come to play for Green Bay?" That would be bad blood from the outset in the Locker Room - He doesn't need to be in the equation around Lambeau at all.

If they keep Bawoh Jue - I'm gonna blow a gasket - send him to Minnesota where we can count on him to screw up and take complete advantage... :twisted:

The Safeties issue? Either re-structure Sharper's contract or let him fly away to the Eagles, or wherever, even Tampa Bay... I don't care - these players should take penalties on paychecks when not performing up to standards.

The CornerBacks need some "hard" Lombardi coaching - they'll either lay down and show they're crybabies & quitters, or become top drawer players; one of the two - end of statement.

The ONLY thing they should do in Free Agency is find a Defensive Stud who will take over that Locker Room ala Reggie White...

This Jonathan character is living a pipe dream.
I know of at least four other people who can make a better mock draft than this...

PackerNation? Can you hear me out there? How about you stop on in and write up your Mock Draft?

PackerNation writes for PackerChatters, people!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
uwbadger12000 said:
Hey, that was me who wrote it. Why the hell else would I have posted it?

Many post articles that others have written. I'm no wheres near perfect, but when did Kevin get promoted from analyst to having the ability to strip Mike Sherman of any role?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed and I clicked on the link to the actual web page for regular read....

You're telling me that UW is Jonathan and writes for that E-zine site?
Personally, I'm still gonna put my opinion up here - it's still a free Country and I have a right to do so. What "needs" to be focused on.. is the fact of WHO will 'actually' be available.. when Pick#24 gets their turn... NOT who you'd all 'like' to get.....! Being real is more productive...

If anyone thinks any of THESE players that this 'Jonathan' listed will be around, then step up and say which Teams in the first 23 DON'T need to pick the guys he has listed... and why!

While I like all of those that are listed - that's not my point.
We need to undersand who "really" will be around when Pick#24 gets their turn... and I have no doubt that the point is not lost on Ted Thompson.... at all!

Example - Who else in the NFL would like to get their hands on Shazor - has the money to sign his butt, and... can see that he'll be there when they get their turn.. He's listed as going early in the first round... and isn't this guy pretty much just like the one that the Redskins just drafted last year? ---- Right?

Well, there ya go!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players come out for the Draft for all sorts of reasons... could be family... could be positioning in the Draft due to who would be coming out the next year after... many reasons abound. Shazor at this point appears... to be a diamond in the rough like what's his name over at the Redskins. Then again, how many high draft picks have we seen end up being total & complete busts?

Just so others know - the article is printed on my friend's web site -----

South End Zone

We worked directly with each other over the SAVE LAMBEAU situation a couple of years back....

The Writer is entitled to 'their' opinion, as are all of us!

stuffin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
uwbadger12000 said:
1) Matt Roth-DE-Iowa. Roth may be undersized, but during Senior Bowl practices, nobody could block him."snip"

That seals it for me, undersized and unblockable during Senior Bowl practices. Those are relatively astonishing prerequisites when deciding who to draft with your first pick. I mean, couldn't he have come up with something better to validate the pick then, undersized and unblockable during practices for a meaningless game?

No offense intended to you uwbadger12000

Members online

Latest posts