Packers Most Complete team in NFC North.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers Most Complete team in NFL.

From that link:

And you just get the feeling from talking to people around the team the 2008 Packers aren't exactly thrilled that they have to deal with a Brett Favre retirement ceremony on the night they usher in the Rodgers era.

Still one of the worst moves by the NFL/Packers organizations I have seen.

Profizzle99

Cheesehead
Reaction score

At least we don't bench our best running back halfway through a game, I mean talking about the worst mistakes in all.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Packers Most Complete team in NFL.

From that link:

And you just get the feeling from talking to people around the team the 2008 Packers aren't exactly thrilled that they have to deal with a Brett Favre retirement ceremony on the night they usher in the Rodgers era.

I am not sure that it really is a bad move. Rodgers is going to have a bunch of pressure, and being opening MNF is only going to make that worse.

I think having the retirement of #4 and Brett present will take a bunch of the media pressure from Rodgers.

Just think what the press would be doing leading up to the game, now they will have to split time between Rodgers and Favre.

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Expecting to read where it said we were most complete team in NFL and never did see it. I recall reading where it said most complete team in NFC North. Big Big Big difference. So if I read correctly then that thread title is misleading

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Expecting to read where it said we were most complete team in NFL and never did see it. I recall reading where it said most complete team in NFC North. Big Big Big difference. So if I read correctly then that thread title is misleading

You beat me to it.

OP
OP
P

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You did. It was. My bad.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

NodakPaul said:
From that link:

I am not sure that it really is a bad move. Rodgers is going to have a bunch of pressure, and being opening MNF is only going to make that worse.

I think having the retirement of #4 and Brett present will take a bunch of the media pressure from Rodgers.

Just think what the press would be doing leading up to the game, now they will have to split time between Rodgers and Favre.

ESPN has some sort of strange love for Brett Favre so you better believe he'll get all the hype that day leading up to the game.

Rodgers will go under the radar and when the game starts nobody on the Packers will be thinking of Brett Favre.

As far as most complete team in the NFC North. I think that statement is right on. Top to bottom I like the Packers more than the Vikings but the Vikings did close the gap this off season.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score

PackFanWithTwins said:
NodakPaul said:
From that link:

ESPN has some sort of strange love for Brett Favre so you better believe he'll get all the hype that day leading up to the game.

Rodgers will go under the radar and when the game starts nobody on the Packers will be thinking of Brett Favre.

As far as most complete team in the NFC North. I think that statement is right on. Top to bottom I like the Packers more than the Vikings but the Vikings did close the gap this off season.

I don't know about the Fav-re love fest taking pressure off from Rodgers. I think it would increase it. Nothing like starting off your starting career with a HUGE reminder of the shoes you have to fill and the shadow you will be under.

I really think that it is doing a disservice to Rodgers. But I also know that the Packer's hand was probably forced by the NFL and ESPN because they knew it would be huge ratings.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't know about the Fav-re love fest taking pressure off from Rodgers. I think it would increase it. Nothing like starting off your starting career with a HUGE reminder of the shoes you have to fill and the shadow you will be under.

I really think that it is doing a disservice to Rodgers. But I also know that the Packer's hand was probably forced by the NFL and ESPN because they knew it would be huge ratings.

Agreed. I would've rather had him start off with a low-key game. He would be enough under a microscope without the national coverage and the Favre ceremony. But it could end up being a big positive if the team rallies around him and he plays well and leads them to a win. One thing is for sure: It will be very, very interesting to see what happens.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

porky88 said:
PackFanWithTwins said:
NodakPaul said:
From that link:

I don't know about the Fav-re love fest taking pressure off from Rodgers. I think it would increase it.

It will do neither of those things. He's a pro football player. If the Favre thing effects him in any way, he doesn't deserve to be a QB in the NFL.

It'll be like a practice for him in week 1 anyway...

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

From that link:

Well you know what, they have to do it at some point. May as well get it out of the way right off the bat. It's either that or wait a year.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score

porky88 said:
PackFanWithTwins said:
NodakPaul said:
From that link:

That's one way of looking at it. Another way of looking at it is putting the event on opening weekend allows them to distance themselves from Favre--quickly. Get it over and done with and move on.

Plus, it'll be on a night where the fans and home field advantage can hopefully play into things. If Rodgers plays great, there might not be a better night to do it on. If he doesn't--no biggie. It's his first game and Favre is out of the picture.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's one way of looking at it. Another way of looking at it is putting the event on opening weekend allows them to distance themselves from Favre--quickly. Get it over and done with and move on.

Plus, it'll be on a night where the fans and home field advantage can hopefully play into things. If Rodgers plays great, there might not be a better night to do it on. If he doesn't--no biggie. It's his first game and Favre is out of the picture.

I respectfully disagree. You are right in that if he plays well it will be a good night for him. But if he doesn't, the only thing that the media and fans will be talking about is how much the Packers are going to miss Fav-re.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I don't think there is going to be any way to avoid the media hounds from draging Aaron through the slop if he falters even slightly.. If I am Rodgers I start tuning the press out now.. otherwise it is going to be an insanely long year for the gent.

That is unless he lights it up.. then the meter will swing the other way.. I could look at this both ways.. but end up at the same point.. Rodgers needs to understand that he will be crucified at times this year no matter what.. tunnel it out... or it will eat you alive.

josdin00

Cheesehead
Reaction score

NodakPaul said:
porky88 said:
PackFanWithTwins said:
NodakPaul said:
From that link:

I don't know about the Fav-re love fest taking pressure off from Rodgers. I think it would increase it.

It will do neither of those things. He's a pro football player. If the Favre thing effects him in any way, he doesn't deserve to be a QB in the NFL.

It'll be like a practice for him in week 1 anyway...

Pro football players still feel pressure, and having your first game as a starter on national tv adds to the pressure to play well. Having a huge love-fest for the man you're replacing just before you get your first start adds to the pressure to play well. It's how he responds to that pressure that will determine whether or not he deserves to be a QB in the NFL.

On the plus side, he has all offseason to prepare for the game.

On the negative side, he has all offseason to think about the game.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers coach Mike McCarthy told us on Friday that the team is not in the market for a veteran quarterback.

Good. I was getting really sick of the talking heads saying we need a veteran QB. No we don't. We have a Veteran QB in Aaron Rodgers. He's had 3 years behind the best of the best, and even if he goes down, he'll be on the sidelines guiding Brohm.

Are we the most complete team in the NFC North? Well, last year, #4 O, #6 D in terms of PF & PA. Those stats don't lie. We rack up points. We prevent other teams from scoring. The only major change is our change in QB, but we're the same team as last year with even more depth now that we added what will probably turn out to be a solid draft by TT.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there is going to be any way to avoid the media hounds from draging Aaron through the slop if he falters even slightly.. If I am Rodgers I start tuning the press out now.. otherwise it is going to be an insanely long year for the gent.

That is unless he lights it up.. then the meter will swing the other way.. I could look at this both ways.. but end up at the same point.. Rodgers needs to understand that he will be crucified at times this year no matter what.. tunnel it out... or it will eat you alive.

Hopefully he doesn't listen to Ron Jaworski before the game. He's not much of an Aaron Rodgers fan from what I can tell. If Rodgers screws up he'll be the first one to let us know of what he did wrong and remind us that he new about this when he was in the draft.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be the bit surprised if BRett checked with Aaron to see how he felt having the retirement done on the opening night. Not that he would ever tell anyone.

The nice part is that Brett will be there and possibly on the sidelines for the game. He can calm Aaron down during the game, and give him encouragement before the game.

the more I think about the date, the more I think it is good.

It's all good. Aaron starts off a great career, we say goodbye to the best ever, we shut up all the Jared Allen BS for awhile, and were 1-0 to start the season!! :p

Latest posts