Packers linked to serious convos about Darren Waller

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The claim is players can not be traded for franchise tagged players only draft picks...thats why waller wasnt included in the adams deal.

"The Seahawks sent the Texans two players, Jacob Martin and Barkevious Mingo, and a 2020 third-round pick for Jadeveon Clowney at the end of last preseason."

And as Wimm said that is not true...
Who was the unsigned tagged player in that deal

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who was the unsigned tagged player in that deal

Jadeveon Clowney...and obviously according to that article, assuming the info is correct. He signed his tag before the trade was consumated as Adams must have too. In order to waive their respective defacto no trade clauses

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Jadeveon Clowney...and obviously according to that article, assuming the info is correct. He signed his tag before the trade was consumated as Adams must have too. In order to waive their respective defacto no trade clauses

He signed it tho to be traded

D

Deleted member 6794

I've seen multiple reporters claiming this. I'll admit I assumed they did their research lol which as you and I both know was naive of me

They claim that it was because of Adams status as a franchise tagged player...but Wimm says he read the cba and theres nothing in there about that. And I definitely believe him over a reporter. So im not sure what happened...

The claim is players can not be traded for franchise tagged players only draft picks...thats why waller wasnt included in the adams deal.

"The Seahawks sent the Texans two players, Jacob Martin and Barkevious Mingo, and a 2020 third-round pick for Jadeveon Clowney at the end of last preseason."

And as Wimm said that is not true...

After reading even more of the CBA it seems like a team trading a player it has put the non-exclusive franchise tag on isn't allowed to receive another player.

In addition, and that hasn't been mentioned anywhere as far as I'm aware, they aren't allowed to receive draft choice compensation that is greater than the draft choice consideration specified for the tender (which would have been two first rounders for Adams).

I have no idea how it was possible for Clowney to be traded for other players but the rules might have been different before the new CBA was agreed on in 2020.

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A source confirms that the original trade compensation for the Adams trade was the 22nd overall pick and Waller, but there is an NFL rule about trading a franchise-tagged player who has yet to sign his deal for another player, which made Waller ineligible to be involved in the trade. Since Adams refused to sign the tender, the trade stalled from Monday, when the original offer was sent to the league office, until Thursday, when Waller was replaced with the Raiders’ second-round pick. A second-round pick, based on the original offer, is what I would assume is the proposed compensation for Waller in a pick-for-player trade.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A source confirms that the original trade compensation for the Adams trade was the 22nd overall pick and Waller, but there is an NFL rule about trading a franchise-tagged player who has yet to sign his deal for another player, which made Waller ineligible to be involved in the trade. Since Adams refused to sign the tender, the trade stalled from Monday, when the original offer was sent to the league office, until Thursday, when Waller was replaced with the Raiders’ second-round pick. A second-round pick, based on the original offer, is what I would assume is the proposed compensation for Waller in a pick-for-player trade.
I’d be good with that

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Cba was changed after that.

League blocked the waller trade

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wonder how the nfl will see it. They already know that originally they wanted the 1st and Waller. So they give back the 2nd to circumvent the rules? Maybe they would trade our 2nd?

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have read it from numerous sources and not just one spouting off….appears to have legs.

I think he'll go great with Deebo Samuel, Brandin Cooks, D.K. Metcalf, Tyler Lockett, Davante Parker and everyone else the Packers are/were supposed to trade for...

Did I leave anyone out? Jordy coming back? Janis?

:p

Reaction score
I’ve said this several times that there’s more than 1 way to skin a cat. One of the biggest losses was TE production last season. It was a piece of why we went from a #1 to #10 rated Offense. REDZONE production dropped significantly.

A significant Part of that was our long injury list at OL (plus Tonyan for over half season) Those we’re significant because it substantially affected
1. How we apply our TE packages
2. How it affected our running game.
3. Our strategy of mix of plays

He’s worth a #59 area imo. He erases a draft need in the Late day 2 to Day 3 area. Waller is a more immediate answer

Im probably out of the conversation at anything past 59+171 unless they offer to convolute it with swapping this for that and it’s trivial.

Id tell Las Vegas that to give up anything more for Waller? As far a TE it just isn’t Likely :whistling:
(bad Isaiah TE draft joke sorry! )

Last edited:
Reaction score
Would love to have Darren Waller in GB, but there’s several reports from Raiders side saying it’s not happening. Like 0% not happening

Just go get Likely or Woods. After drafting Olave and Pickens :whistling:
We’re good :tup:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't consider TE a big need. With that said I think Waller is worth it. He also has a little bit of injury history. If true he was originally in the trade instead of pick #59 I do not think the league would let them circumvent the rule and allow a Waller for 59 trade at this point. I could see a scenario where they wait and see who is on the board at 53 and who they have selected so far. If they feel good about the 2 1st round picks and who they feel will still be there at 59 I could see the Pack offering pick 53 and then a swap of picks. LV picks approx. 6 picks ahead of the Pack in rounds 3, 4 and 5.

David Ciembronowicz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Waller, maybe a 3rd or 4th and 7th; take BPA at 22 and 28 as well as 2nd round with focus on WR, OL, DL. Don't reach unless the management is "in love" with the player (not J. Love).we see how that has worked out.... Take players who are going to have a chance to provide help this year and give depth to the team. DO NOT SPend draft capital on a kicker or a QB in any round in my view.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't consider TE a big need. With that said I think Waller is worth it. He also has a little bit of injury history. If true he was originally in the trade instead of pick #59 I do not think the league would let them circumvent the rule and allow a Waller for 59 trade at this point. I could see a scenario where they wait and see who is on the board at 53 and who they have selected so far. If they feel good about the 2 1st round picks and who they feel will still be there at 59 I could see the Pack offering pick 53 and then a swap of picks. LV picks approx. 6 picks ahead of the Pack in rounds 3, 4 and 5.

I don't see how they could prevent it or that it is an attempt to circumvent anything. Going with what we know or has been alluded to the Packers were going to trade Adams to the Raiders for #22 and Waller. For whatever reason, maybe because of Adams being franchise tagged, the league said no, you can't include a player (Waller) in the trade so the Raiders said we will give you #22 and #53 (or whatever it was) instead of Waller . The Packers said OK and the trade was made. Now the Packers want to trade that #53 to the Raiders for Waller. I Just don't see anything wrong with it. This is simply a player for a pick swap and nothing more. The fact that it gives the same result as a previously denied trade is irrelevant IMO.

As far as is Waller worth it, I say absolutely. Is TE a need? Not a huge need but if you can upgrade your TE from Tonyan to Waller, and I see it a as a big upgrade, plus you get to keep Tonyan its definitely worth considering. I'd like to see 2 bonafide pass catchers in the first three rounds (5 picks) assuming they still pick a rookie WR in the first this would give them the second and they wouldn't need to draft another. They still have 3 other picks to address to other areas you are concerned with. If you are looking at it from a BPA standard you would have to ask is Waller better than any player you could draft at #53. He was ranked as the #35 player in the NFL last year (a subjective ranking I know) but I would say yes, he is better than anyone you could draft at #53. If you are looking at it from a need standpoint like you said, TE isn't a huge need but its an area that could stand upgrading. As many say you arrange your big board in tiers. if 2 players are in the same tier you look at the position of bigger need but if a player at the position of lower need is ranked in a higher tier you go with him. I think Waller would be in a higher tier. I think the only advantages to a rookie at 53 over Waller would be he is younger and would be cheaper. Now granted those aren't small advantages but I don't know if they would be enough to go with the draft pick.

Of course if the Raiders say no, as I suspect the would, its a moot point. On top of that I kind of question the veracity of the report or suggestion that the original deal included Waller. I'd think the Packers would have been aware enough of the rules to not try to push it through.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see how they could prevent it or that it is an attempt to circumvent anything. Going with what we know or has been alluded to the Packers were going to trade Adams to the Raiders for #22 and Waller. For whatever reason, maybe because of Adams being franchise tagged, the league said no, you can't include a player (Waller) in the trade so the Raiders said we will give you #22 and #53 (or whatever it was) instead of Waller . The Packers said OK and the trade was made. Now the Packers want to trade that #53 to the Raiders for Waller. I Just don't see anything wrong with it. This is simply a player for a pick swap and nothing more. The fact that it gives the same result as a previously denied trade is irrelevant IMO.

As far as is Waller worth it, I say absolutely. Is TE a need? Not a huge need but if you can upgrade your TE from Tonyan to Waller, and I see it a as a big upgrade, plus you get to keep Tonyan its definitely worth considering. I'd like to see 2 bonafide pass catchers in the first three rounds (5 picks) assuming they still pick a rookie WR in the first this would give them the second and they wouldn't need to draft another. They still have 3 other picks to address to other areas you are concerned with. If you are looking at it from a BPA standard you would have to ask is Waller better than any player you could draft at #53. He was ranked as the #35 player in the NFL last year (a subjective ranking I know) but I would say yes, he is better than anyone you could draft at #53. If you are looking at it from a need standpoint like you said, TE isn't a huge need but its an area that could stand upgrading. As many say you arrange your big board in tiers. if 2 players are in the same tier you look at the position of bigger need but if a player at the position of lower need is ranked in a higher tier you go with him. I think Waller would be in a higher tier. I think the only advantages to a rookie at 53 over Waller would be he is younger and would be cheaper. Now granted those aren't small advantages but I don't know if they would be enough to go with the draft pick.

Of course if the Raiders say no, as I suspect the would, its a moot point. On top of that I kind of question the veracity of the report or suggestion that the original deal included Waller. I'd think the Packers would have been aware enough of the rules to not try to push it through.
Ive known Aaron Nagler for a long time ( no pun) I firmly trust he wouldnt toss this out if he didnt believe it to be true

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this really was 22 and Waller for Adams, but league said no because of rules so they gave the 2nd rounder instead to get the deal done, that deal is done. I don't see anything that would prevent giving that 2nd rounder back for the player from a league standpoint. It's just a player for a pick scenario. The only thing that should or would stop it is if it was never the case to begin with, or the Raiders changed their mind.

I would definitely do that deal. I think we do need a TE, and badly. I like Tonyan, but he's out for the first quarter of the season at least IMO and there's nothing really behind him. We needed a TE last year, we need one this year.

Reaction score
If this really was 22 and Waller for Adams, but league said no because of rules so they gave the 2nd rounder instead to get the deal done, that deal is done. I don't see anything that would prevent giving that 2nd rounder back for the player from a league standpoint. It's just a player for a pick scenario. The only thing that should or would stop it is if it was never the case to begin with, or the Raiders changed their mind.

I would definitely do that deal. I think we do need a TE, and badly. I like Tonyan, but he's out for the first quarter of the season at least IMO and there's nothing really behind him. We needed a TE last year, we need one this year.
I’m in agreement. In the ‘22 draft
I have TE as late Day 2 area need. Mercedes’ ain’t getting any younger and who are putting our chips on? Dafney? Go get Aaron Rodgers some weapons for once in his lifetime

Last edited:

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colin Coward of The Herd said the story was never true and that the Packers planted that story so it would look like they were trying. He's such a ******.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just for the record, there's no way to trade a player who has not signed his franchise tag.

Members online

Latest posts