Packers: Hot News Flashes

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/not-just-the-packers-mvp/

Not Just The Packer’s MVP

We have a reader or three in St. Louis. I know several Cheeseheads that will be in attendance on Sunday. I think it’s time for Packer fans to start making some noise for Brett Favre to be named the MVP of the league. I mean really, Tom Brady? What a joke. If you’re at the game on Sunday, start the ol’ “M-V-P” chant every time Brett throws a touchdown. You should have plenty of opportunities.

http://packergeeks.wordpress.com/2007/12/12/greg-jennings-stud/

Greg Jennings — Stud

I had a long talk Monday with a friend about Greg Jennings. Our discussion started with an assessment of where Jennings ranks among the NFL’s elite receivers for the purposes of ranking him for next year’s fantasy football draft. I argued that Jennings is easily a #1 WR and probably ranks in the Top 10 WRs going into next years draft. (Our league is a standard league, with bonus points for receptions.) In fact, when I looked at the WRs this year on a points-per-game basis, Jennings ranks #9. Ahead of him were: Randy Moss, Andre Johnson, Terrell Owens, Braylon Edwards, Reggie Wayne, TJ Housh, Larry Fitzgerald. That’s good company.One thing that surprised both of us: We could not recall Greg Jennings being double-teamed by any Packer opponents this year, while Donald Driver still draws double-teams on a regular basis. Why is this? I think Driver, despite his age, is as good as just about anyone in running after the catch. He’s so quick and elusive — he looks like one of those waterbugs that zips across the top of a pond, changing directions every time he moves. So defenses are forced to choose who they’re going to double and they choose Driver. Now comes this article from Rob Demovsky. He writes: Only three receivers in the NFL have more touchdown catches than Greg Jennings, and only one of those — Dallas’ Terrell Owens — plays in the NFC. Yet so far this season, not a single opponent of the Green Bay Packers has tried to double-team Jennings. The best news? Packers WR coach Jimmy Robinson said: “I wouldn’t for a second think that Greg’s reached his ceiling.

http://packergeeks.wordpress.com/2007/12/12/javon-walker-good-riddance/

Javon Walker — Good Riddance

Further evidence that the Packers made a good move in trading Javon Walker to the Denver Broncos. There is speculation in Denver that Walker may be gone after this year. His continuing knee problems, his high salary and the emergence of Brandon Marshall make him expendable.The Packers traded Walker for the Broncos’ second-round pick in 2006, the 37th overall. They quickly dealt that pick (and a fifth rounder) to Atlanta for the Falcons’ second, third and fifth round picks — in effect, picking up two picks for Walker, who had declared that he would retire before playing again for the Packers. The Packers then turned those three picks into several more. The results: Daryn Colledge, Ingle Martin, Will Blackmon, Tyron Culver and Johnny Jolly.The Packers also traded away the 36 overall pick to the New England Patriots. The Packers got two picks (52 and 75 overall), which they used to pick Greg Jennings — would would become Javon Walker’s replacement — and Jason Spitz.It’s still early, but the 2006 Packer draft looks awfully good right now. And getting rid of Javon Walker is a big reason that’s true.

http://packergeeks.wordpress.com/20...jured-or-the-second-coming-of-cletidius-hunt/

Cullen Jenkins — Injured or the Second Coming of Cletidius Hunt?

Aaron at cheeseheadtv writes: "Over the years, he’s developed a killer first step that has allowed him to penetrate into the opponents backfield at least two or three times a game to blow up whatever play the offense was trying to run. But this season, those plays have been completely absent. I’m not sure if it’s because teams are combo-blocking him more on the inside (which I doubt) or if he’s playing through some pretty significant injuries (which I suspect is the case). Either way, the Packers haven’t had a sack in two games, and that is disconcerting heading into the playoffs. If teams can just set up a tight end to Kampman’s side and a back to KGB’s side, without fear of getting a push up the middle, the Packers could be in trouble. They have to figure out a way to get pressure from the interior of the line, including from Jenkins or Corey Williams, or it will come back to bite them come playoff time." I think Aaron is right. Jenkins has reportedly been battling injuries all year and his coaches has noted this several times in explaining his drop-off in play from last year and training camp. That said, he was not on the injury report again this week. There is another possibility: Is Jenkins the new Cletidius Hunt? Packers fans remember Hunt’s lack of motivation and playmaking the year after he signed his big contract. This off-season, Jenkins signed a four-year, $16 million deal that ensured he’d stay in Green Bay. Is he letting up now that he’s gotten paid?

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/lee-remmel-to-retire/

Lee Remmel To Retire: Adieu Mr. Remmel.

A true institution when it comes to the Green Bay Packers, one of my fondest memories of following the team as a kid in Wisconsin was waking up every Sunday morning and watching the local Green Bay pregame television show on WBAY. At the end of every show, they would interview staff members on camera for their predictions of the days Packer game. Bill Jartz and company would (try) to give honest assessments of what they thought might happen for or to the Green and Gold, but Lee almost always (I mean, I seriously can’t remember one time he didn’t) picked the Packers to win. And they were truly terrible back then. Here’s hoping Lee can continue to follow the Packers for many years to come.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com.../20071212/PKR01/71212180/1057/PKR&located=RSS

Jolly needs surgery, so Packers sign ex-Vikings DT

To replace Jolly, General Manager Ted Thompson claimed rookie defensive tackle Conrad Bolston off waivers from the Minnesota Vikings. The 6-foot-4, 300-pound Bolston spent the first 12 weeks of the season on the Vikings’ practice squad but was signed to the active roster on Nov. 28 after defensive tackle Fred Evans began serving a two-game suspension. Bolston, 22, played in Sunday’s game at San Francisco and was credited with one tackle. The Vikings waived Bolston on Tuesday after Evans was reinstated and hoped to put him back on their practice squad. But all players waived at this point in the season are subject to the waiver wire, and the Packers claimed him.

http://umterps.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/bolston_conrad00.html

UM Biography: An anchor in the middle of the defensive line who provided senior leadership in 2006 ... a three-year starter who was a member of the 2006 preseason watch list for the Outland Trophy ... a powerful player with the ability to get upfield while playing the pass as well as the run ... has a quick first step and gets a good push into the offensive line ... his 44 career games played, including 29 starts, were tops among the defensive lineman though 2006 season ... played for the Aina team in the 2007 Hula Bowl ... an Iron Terp with, at 303 pounds, the second-highest strength index on the team (a measure of pound-for-pound strength).

:pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers: Side Bar Perspectives

Donald Driver looks like one of those waterbugs that zips across a pond. Heh. I like that.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Packers: Side Bar Perspectives

Is Jenkins the new Cletidius Hunt? Packers fans remember Hunt’s lack of motivation and playmaking the year after he signed his big contract. This off-season, Jenkins signed a four-year, $16 million deal that ensured he’d stay in Green Bay. Is he letting up now that he’s gotten paid?

I could see this being true, but I seem to remember Jenkins doing really well in TC and preseason. I don't see why he'd stand out so much when it didn't matter, then slack off during the regular season. I honestly think he's just really beat up.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if Cullen is having a relatively down year as far as his sack total goes, there's no denying the value he adds when it comes to stopping the run. When KGB played full-time, teams could run to the outside on him like no tomorrow. Jenkins was a significant upgrade in this regard when he took over the starting role and has allowed KGB to concentrate on what he does best.

I'm more than willing to give Jenkins another year before I'd really hit the panic button as far as his ability to get to the QB. It may just be he's been battling injury, and that can effect even the best players. Hell, even Julius Peppers, who is arguably the best DE in the league, is having a down year statistically. It happens sometimes.

Mr. Bolston does sound like an interesting prospect. If anything, he adds some relative depth behind Harrell and Muir. Take it for what you will, but the Vikings are statistically one of the better run-stopping units in the league and they wanted him back on their practice squad. So who knows? He can't hurt at this point.

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read somewhere that he's second on the team in tackles for a loss behind Barnett... I can't find the source but it wouldn't surprise me. I just think he's developed into more of a run stopping lineman than a pass rusher, especially since we use KGB on passing downs.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mi_keys said:
I read somewhere that he's second on the team in tackles for a loss behind Barnett... I can't find the source but it wouldn't surprise me. I just think he's developed into more of a run stopping lineman than a pass rusher, especially since we use KGB on passing downs.

According to ESPN.com, Jenkins leads the team in tackles for loss.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jenkins went from off the radar to the main blip in one season. Hes getting more attention and double teams and less plays run his way.

Its just a natural thing that happens. He is still very much an asset in that he does demand attention. I think we got a good thing going with our D-line right now. Nobody needs to panic over Jenkins sack total... hes still doing his job in other respects.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sacks are a plus,but i like when they lose yards runs are not made they stop them on 3rd downs,if jenkins is getting double teamed and we are still able to do those things because of it i dont think he is a hunt :D

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Favre vs Brady for MVP

Note: Funny MVP competition update from blogger packsmack:

Hey, I stirred up the New England fans with an article I posted on Bleacher Report. I suggested that Tom Brady can not win the NFL MVP because of their cheating. This has literally put the RIOT in PatRIOT! It is hilarious to read their snivelling comments, and there are a BUNCH of them! Check it out if you want:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...y_Packers-Tom_Brady_Can_NOT_Be_NFL_MVP-121207

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Packers: Side Bar Perspectives

pack_in_black said:
Is Jenkins the new Cletidius Hunt? Packers fans remember Hunt’s lack of motivation and playmaking the year after he signed his big contract. This off-season, Jenkins signed a four-year, $16 million deal that ensured he’d stay in Green Bay. Is he letting up now that he’s gotten paid?

I could see this being true, but I seem to remember Jenkins doing really well in TC and preseason. I don't see why he'd stand out so much when it didn't matter, then slack off during the regular season. I honestly think he's just really beat up.

You may be right. Jenkins was the guy I was absolutely sure would make the Pro Bowl this year and he hasn't done anything. So yeah, it might be injuries.

Members online

Latest posts