Packers Hire New Defensive Coordinator: Jeff Hafley, formerly Head Coach, Boston College

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Horrible Hire...He was on his way out at BC!
You know, I'm not so sure that he's a "horrible hire". I'm not sure he isn't neither. Perhaps, coming here WAS his way out of B.C.

Along that vein, him being a buddy of Matt's isn't necessarily an end all/be all. It'll make people nervous, sure, because Barry's hire fell along the same tenuous line ... that McVey coaching tree thing - I get it.

Thing is, Barry was a pretty obvious marginal hire based on the results his defenses generated nearly every where he stopped. We don't have that track record here with this hire.

...and Pettine wasn't Matt's hire, but was kept on because of perceived defensive improvements that disappeared quickly.

Fact is that the current scheme or its implementation did not pass the eye test (statistically a bit closer) ... I'm giving this guy a chance and hope that this doesn't remain a purse swinging defense. We're used to it, surrender chunks of yardage in the hope that someone makes a play or worse yet, that the opponent's offense shoots itself in the foot.
Enough already.... is having a defense that opponents fear too much to ask?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have little choice but to wait and see and hope he is good. I wonder if he brings along any other coaches. I like that I've read he likes to play press and likes a roaming safety. I have wanted a center fielder back there. Although some say that is totally pase. I don't know about that but I would like someone with speed and smarts back there helping to break up passes and maybe get a few picks. I'll be bummed if he wants to keep Campbell instead of drafting a new guy.
As for Hafley, who knows? Yeah he moved around a lot, to some pretty good places, and a lot of the moves seem like promotions. A good sign. He did well at BC. Personally I'm not crazy about taking coaches straight from college, but let's see.

As for Campbell, I think Gluten and MLF will decide his fate. I don't see Campbell returning. McDuffie has earned more reps and hopefully Hafley better utilizes Walker. And look for an ILB taken early - in rounds 2 or 3. Or maybe they can afford a decent FA.

It does sound like Hafley will create a system to maximize the talent available, something Barry couldn't or wouldn't do. Back to Walker, he's a good example. The guy is very athletic and can probably rush more, inside or from the edge, and he certainly has the height and speed to drop into coverage.

I do get tired of the talk about GB's D having seven first round picks. It suggests that they should have an outstanding D just because of the talent. First of all, not all first round picks live up to expectations. Secondly, it's still a team game and getting guys to communicate and run plays is just as much as or more important than individual talent.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hiring under-qualified buddies or family does happen on occasion, but it’s generally rare. In an industry as small as pro football, relationships are going to precede the majority of hires. This is very normal in many industries. Where I work, we always prefer to hire people we already know and it’s worked amazingly well. Hiring guys you don’t know arguably carries more risk as you don’t know how compatible you’ll be, as with Brian Daboll and Wink Martindale.

Overall, it’s silly to me that people get so nervous about something that’s so common and inherently carries more benefits than risks.
Yeah I mean a lot of these guys are in pretty solid positions already and they have a history of moving around and up - because they are sought after usually. It seems like every OC, DC, and HC knows a lotto other coaches and/or worked with them at the same place. Are friendships formed? Well I hope so.

GB2016

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would the BC coach leave when he was making 4 M per year.? I don't think he's gets paid if he leaves on his own and OC job doesn't pay that kind of money.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would the BC coach leave when he was making 4 M per year.? I don't think he's gets paid if he leaves on his own and OC job doesn't pay that kind of money.
That's a good question. Does anyone know the pay range for a DC? I'm sure it's gonna range to the low end for a guy like Hafley w no NFL experience, to someone like Spagnola in KC who is very good and seems happy to stay in that role. I don't know the answer.

Now a BC HC making $4mil doesn't surprise me.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Enough already.... is having a defense that opponents fear too much to ask?

The way the rules are skewed to the offense, I don't think such a defense exists anymore, at least not unless you want a tone of penalties.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You fell into his trap.

like anyone else that says , Erin rodgers , or similar. To get a reaction
I didn't mean to get a reaction, or set a trap.

I've been referring to him as Gluten for as long as I can remember and never got a comment, until now. Better than Gutey or Gute IMO. They are all short variations on an unpronounceable last name.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't mean to get a reaction, or set a trap.

I've been referring to him as Gluten for as long as I can remember and never got a comment, until now. Better than Gutey or Gute IMO. They are all short variations on an unpronounceable last name.
Gluten is offensive/ sarcastic/ trying to be funny

imo why not just say gute

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be a tough one!
Per H.P. Lovecraft, it's a name that is literally impossible for humans to pronounce. The nearest any human can come is as such: klahl-hloo with each character, including both "h's" clearly annunciated. Good luck!

DigRun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good call on Farrington. For being so young, the analysis that Farrington and Ziggy provide is exceptional. Thorough and well-informed. Not just "think pieces" like some podcasters.

Farrington said that while he is a Vikings fan, his show was meant to be more national in scope.
But, he also said he is overwhelmed and appreciative of all the Packer fans that flocked to his channel during the playoff run.
I actually like these guys quite a bit...don't know how they find time to keep up with their studies but it's good to hear analysis from folks outside of the "Packer Homer" realm. Living in MN they are pretty atypical of many Viking fans that I've come across in my 60+ years though. There's no doubt that they've learned by doing their Packer homework that they're growing their subscribership and sports podcast footprint by addressing the more popular and currently competitively-relevant team from the state east of MN. Also in this way (at least vicariously) they'll increase their odds at getting to experience a Super Bowl worthy team before they grow old!...1978 was a long time ago for their current team.

DigRun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the one dude on the right in their casts was in Virginia.
I meant that I live in MN...not sure about Ziggy's home but as you noted he's @ U of Virginia (as a PhD student in Philosophy!). Sounds like he breaks down NFL teams as relaxation from more high-powered academia stuff...impressive range of thinking no doubt.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way the rules are skewed to the offense, I don't think such a defense exists anymore, at least not unless you want a tone of penalties.
Good point, I've considered that. Certainly a defense can shut down a high powered offense, we've seen it happen to us enough over the years. But to do it consistently, game after game? Yeah, that's a species that looks endangered.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was as head coach though. He did say that the job at the college level was now more about recruiting, funding, and other things aside from football. That could certainly be a distraction. Take Bill Belichick, for instance. Personality aside, is there any doubt that he could be a pretty good defensive coordinator? But he wanted to act as general manager and head coach besides, and since Brady left, it's been too much for him.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Per H.P. Lovecraft, it's a name that is literally impossible for humans to pronounce. The nearest any human can come is as such: klahl-hloo with each character, including both "h's" clearly annunciated. Good luck!
It really came from HP Lovecraft? That's hilarious. I have no idea how to say that. And I'm a fan of HPL. Thanks for the info!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because that's what his friends call him?
I doubt that his friends refer to him as Gluten. Gute? I guess so, maybe. As far as Gluten, it gos back to when he was hired and I tried pronouncing that name and it sounded like gluten.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Watch the dude talk and I think you'll change your mind...I dont know anything about Boston college but its evident very quickly that he knows football and he cares

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt that his friends refer to him as Gluten. Gute? I guess so, maybe. As far as Gluten, it gos back to when he was hired and I tried pronouncing that name and it sounded like gluten.
I'm pretty sure his true friends refer to him as Brian. I don't call my friends by their last name.

Members online

No members online now.