Packers Hire New Defensive Coordinator: Jeff Hafley, formerly Head Coach, Boston College

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So who's our Sam?

I hope our SAM is P. Smith and we use an under-front. No need for 3 true, off the ball linebackers.

And our SAM is likely a 40% snap count player, at least as a SAM. Assuming Smith is the SAM, he'd spend most of his time as a DE in nickel with only 2 linebackers or dime with one.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need to hire Owen as our head coach. That way we won't have to worry about him hiring his friends because as we all know.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Major changes on the defense. I mentioned that out here. Some who have read "one article" that was conjecture said I was wrong. The difference is, I wasn't offering my personal opinion, or garbage from an article by someone who's clueless. I'm offering information from someone who really knows what the guy is bringing to GB, and why the Packers grabbed him.

This dude will bring the 4-3. They will slip into various scenarios, but that's square one. He also will bring man coverage, which we have DBs who can play in that scheme a lot better than in zone coverage. I'm talking CBs, and at least one or two of our safeties. We're going to see guys like Van Ness, Gary, and Smith, all taking turns at being one of the down linemen. It solves that issue, because all three can play that position. He's going to show that he knows how to adjust his defense to do it's best against each opponent. In one post, I inadvertently said he likes zone, it was supposed to be he doesn't like zone. So, if that was something somebody said was wrong, I totally agree. That's way down the list of things he'll employ.

No more having our linebackers trying to catch up with speedy receivers, and then people blaming them for not being good in coverage. This has been a joke through two coaches now. Linebackers "are not" as fast as receivers, and quite frankly can't handle that coverage.

Playing nearly 10 yards off the line of scrimmage, and giving away the short routes and in routes is not going to be acceptable. Watch for our DBs to move up on the receivers, and play them at the line. We got the horses for it, let them run. Even getting Stokes back next year should make you smile. That's where he shines, along with Alexander.

I could go on but I'm not. I'll wait patiently for someone who watches a "Donny Dumbarse podcast" to tell me that he knows better.

Be happy for what lays ahead. This guy is going to turn our defense upside down, and quite frankly, it appears that we have most of the players we need to make it happen.

My guess, if he's out there when we pick, the Packers might well take Kinchens, who could be what the doctor ordered to work with Savage back there.

Anyhow, have fun tearing what I said apart. :)

Last edited:

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're going to see guys like Van Ness, Gary, and Smith, all taking turns at being one of the down linemen.

Assuming he actually runs a 4-3 (TBD. Seems more likely than not, but he's also on record saying something about Pro and College isn't the same) I'd hope that our DEs are those three most of the time. Both of them sides.

The majority (all?) of our 3-4 linemen are DTs in a 4-3. Maybe Karl Brooks projects to LDE?

I'd rather have Gary at LDE. 277 is plenty, plenty big enough over there.

Reaction score
Playing nearly 10 yards off the line of scrimmage, and giving away the short routes and in routes is not going to be acceptable. Watch for our DBs to move up on the receivers, and play them at the line. We got the horses for it, let them run. Even getting Stokes back next year should make you smile. That's where he shines, along with Alexander.
This has been something I’ve wanted for awhile now. The bend don’t break D can rank consistently. However it’s a medium-high ceiling D with a medium floor. You’ll rarely get caught as the #28 rated, but you’ll rarely crack a Top #5. We need to take some risks, but as you’ve said we've got the high grade athletic profile to make it happen. Hopefully Jeff is that guy. He’s got Kyle Shanahan written all over him imo, they almost look like family.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I certainly hope our DBs line up tighter when and where appropriate. This is the thing I was the most hopeful for anyone we ended up hiring. I'm less concerned about what exact coverage they run after the snap. You can play press-zone. :)

I also don't expect a ton of single-high man coverage. More than Barry, yes. But a 30-33% blitz (as defined as 5 or more rushers) rate is pretty normal. But just like you can play zone after press, you can play man-2 with a heavy box, it just make's the drop harder.

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah the DBs being 4-7 yards off the WR days better ****ing stop. This guy is aggressive? I wanna see it.
I certainly hope our DBs line up tighter when and where appropriate. This is the thing I was the most hopeful for anyone we ended up hiring. I'm less concerned about what exact coverage they run after the snap. You can play press-zone. :)

I also don't expect a ton of single-high man coverage. More than Barry, yes. But a 30-33% blitz (as defined as 5 or more rushers) rate is pretty normal. But just like you can play zone after press, you can play man-2 with a heavy box, it just make's the drop harder.
u u

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyhow, have fun tearing what I said apart. :)
Remember you asked for it.
Militaristic tendencies.
Shouldn't have garbage if you recycle properly
secksist
Is that a speed?
female attire -- misogeny
scenarios
Is that like a lothario? If so again secksist
square one
whazzamatta with round holes?
man coverage,
again secksist
I could go on but I'm not.
Quitter

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Militaristic tendencies.

secksist

Is that a speed?

again secksist

Quitter

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can hear you - but for sure I look differently at the Rich Bisaccia hire (no pre-existing relationship) vs the Joe Barry hire (reportedly "good friends"). I would be more comfortable if MLF had a visible track record of excellent hiring/retention decisions at this level. Maybe he's learning, I don't know, we'll certainly see, and Im not quick on the trigger personally. But many Packers fans, including me, also have held concerns about Aaron Rodgers adopting similar attitudes toward bringing "his guys" along with him - not precisely a hiring process, but analogous in terms of leaning too ******* familiarity - so it's not so far-fetched even in the small industry of the NFL. But we each get two cents on this.
You know. There are friend friends and there are work friends. I had a bunch of friends when I was working. But I did not hang out with them outside of the work environment.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know. There are friend friends and there are work friends. I had a bunch of friends when I was working. But I did not hang out with them outside of the work environment.
I totally agree. I never mixed business with pleasure, except when I was a cop. It was like a circle. You were part of it, and nobody from outside really came in. Of course family was different, but even when you got together with family and they had their friends over, there were always the "cop comments" being made. Always, that one comment made by someone you just met to someone you're about to meet, directly in front of you; "Better behave. He's a cop." Of course laughter would happen, and I'd smile, thinking; "*******!"

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He and Ziggy did more research and analysis of Hafley in the first hour after it was announced than any of the Packer guys on YT did, including Nagler. While they were all hopping online saying, 'OMG! I've never heard of this guy! Looks like a buddy hire by MLF!" Paul and Ziggy were talking about his resume and making some astute observations on why this guy has some real promise.

Good call on Farrington. For being so young, the analysis that Farrington and Ziggy provide is exceptional. Thorough and well-informed. Not just "think pieces" like some podcasters.

Farrington said that while he is a Vikings fan, his show was meant to be more national in scope.
But, he also said he is overwhelmed and appreciative of all the Packer fans that flocked to his channel during the playoff run.

Last edited:

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This was the interview
IMO, that interview was a great source of info. He fully understands the difference between college and pro. And, he seems to have grasp of different schemes and concepts.

I think he's going to bring back more of a Pettine look to this defense.
This slide is from a presentation he gave. I'm excited to see a GB defense play "offensively" if that makes sense.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other than reports of him being a friend of MLF I'm kinda glad they went outside the building and hopefully added a new perspective, scheme and culture to that side of the ball. I hope we see a lot of improvement and aggressiveness to our D.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Experts: what role would Enagbare play in Hafley's defense?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I totally agree. I never mixed business with pleasure, except when I was a cop. It was like a circle. You were part of it, and nobody from outside really came in. Of course family was different, but even when you got together with family and they had their friends over, there were always the "cop comments" being made. Always, that one comment made by someone you just met to someone you're about to meet, directly in front of you; "Better behave. He's a cop." Of course laughter would happen, and I'd smile, thinking; "*******!"
My nephew is a state trooper - good kid and he echoes your sentiment.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Militaristic tendencies.

secksist

Is that a speed?

again secksist

Quitter
Holy hel l

flash back

GB2016

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he'll be great, I'm absolutely willing to reserve judgment and see, but I gotta be honest the "good friend of LaFleur" line popping up in these reports has me very, very nervous.
Horrible Hire...He was on his way out at BC!

Members online

Latest posts