Packers GM

BoydAvery

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It looks like the Packers are stuck with another dud at GM.

TT is having major problems fixing OL. TT brought in Adrian Klemm and Matt O' Dwyer last season to try to replace Wahle and Rivera. He also has selected 5 OL via draft in his 2 years as GM. Keep trying Ted.

After Driver and Jennings there is no one at WR. Green and Davenport are cripples at RB. Green will never last the whole season and Davenport is done, you can stick a fork in.

Defense has many question marks.

Packer organization has bad habit of rehiring former employees to run team. When TT is done I guess they will bring back Ron Wolf.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we can consider the OL drafts a bust but they need time to grow and should have had veterans in front of them to teach them. Letting Wahle go was a huge mistake.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BoydAvery said:
Packer organization has bad habit of rehiring former employees to run team. When TT is done I guess they will bring back Ron Wolf.

You know, I never really realized it until you mentioned it but many of this current staff are former employees- TT, McKenzie, Koonce, MM, Jags, Sanders, Bennett, Campen, Washington, Schotty & Nunn plus the entire scouting staff. Considering the fact that the Packers have never really done that well with rehires (Gregg, Starr, Rhodes, etc.) it doesn't really bode well for the current staff.

About the only rehire that did well was everybody's current whipping boy, Mike Sherman. Other than him the most successful staff in recent years was when new people were brought in such as Wolf & Holmgren.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it is too early in the tenure to make positive or negative judgements about TT. Please remember the state of the franchise in the pre-Wolf years. Please also remember that Wolf missed on his share of trades, draft choices and free agents as does any other GM. Wolf did have a knack for making great trades in a league where you typically see little significant trade activity(Favre, Green, etc.).

TT does, however, seem to be following the road to sucess that Wolf established while in GB. Draft choices are like gold and the draft is the way to build a team. Trades and Free agency can only be a complimentary part of the equation. In this regard, it is too early to address the success or failures of TT's draft performance. The trade and Free Agent signings at this point do not appear to be earth shattering, but we cannot yet tell how the signings from this past offseason will perform.

Bottom line, Wolf was lucky enough to get Favre and White. Everything else he did was average, with some good and some bad moves.

We live in a now society and want to see immediate results but I think he has a sound vision for how he wants to build the team - although we may have to wait another year or two in exchange for (hopefully) long term stability. The question is will he get lucky?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Letting Wahle go was tough. Leaving the team with NO replacements on the roster was worse. TT is doing nothing more than stocking up on the staples right now. Perhaps when there is bread and milk in the house, we can worry about eating lobster and steak.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why?????? You've got Lobster and Steak right now at your most important position. Why would you want to mix it with bread and milk?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummmm....football is the definitive team sport. One serving of surf and turf...even at the most critical position...does not make an efficient unit. We have far too many leftovers that have grown green and fuzzy...the fridge is currently being cleaned and re-stocked.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On your knees....eyes rolled into the back of their sockets...pleading for the sweet release that will be death...relative to the inevitable Tequila hangover, at least!!

Hungry, DePack...got some green and gold mac and cheese waiting for you. I call it Packer Mac.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
On your knees....eyes rolled into the back of their sockets...pleading for the sweet release that will be death...relative to the inevitable Tequila hangover, at least!!

Hungry, DePack...got some green and gold mac and cheese waiting for you. I call it Packer Mac.
He won't do it Diggs, not even if I throw in the double dog dare!

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say we make a Sherman vs. Thompson vs. McCarthy thread and sticky it so everybody can post their arguments and thoughts there so I don't have to read it every post/thread.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like i have stated before, and others in this thread already, the guy hasn't had a fair chance yet to prove if he's good or bad. Wolf missed on picks, let players go he shouldn't have, and so on. I bet the same that are screaming for TT's head did the same when Wolf first started as GM. (If they were alive at that time). Give the guy a fair chance. IF he screws up like you think he will, THEN he will deserve our wrath. But not now.....not yet.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Like i have stated before, and others in this thread already, the guy hasn't had a fair chance yet to prove if he's good or bad. Wolf missed on picks, let players go he shouldn't have, and so on. I bet the same that are screaming for TT's head did the same when Wolf first started as GM. (If they were alive at that time). Give the guy a fair chance. IF he screws up like you think he will, THEN he will deserve our wrath. But not now.....not yet.
I think I was still alive back then, some days I wasn't sure.
In this, my 50th year of being a Packer fan, I've called for alot of heads including Wolf, Holmgren and even Brett Favre.
I ranted and raved,
I've laughed and cried,
I've cheered
and I have thrown things at the TV
My wife says I'm going to drop dead of a heart attack some day watching the Packers ( I can't think of a better way to go).
For me this is all part of the enjoyment of being a Packer fan, for no matter what any GM, Coach or player does, no matter what the outcome of any game, when the day is done and the sun rises the next day I aam still a tried and true fan of the Green Bay Packers.

Latest posts