Packers Front Office Under Fire

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion that's just a lame excuse for Love not being able to outperform Boyle in admittedly limited practice time.

I'm in the camp that had there been an extended absence by Rodgers, Love would of been the starter sooner than later

D

Deleted member 6794

Lame? come on, it happens every year to almost every single player that ever becomes anything in the NFL. it takes some reps and some experience. He got none at this level basically. And we don't even know if he "outperformed" or not. We didn't see anything. Every year almost every single rookie needs work and time before they step into any role. It's not lame, it's pretty much the reality of every player in the history of the NFL.

While I agree it takes almost every rookie some time to perform up to potential it's close to unheard-of that a first round pick was inactive for every single game during his rookie campaign while being fully healthy.

And he had limited time to learn the playbook and build a rapport with the offense. Expecting ANY rookie to outperform Boyle is asinine

smh, fans make excuses for a first round quarterback not being able to move past a backup who has more career kneel downs than pass attempts while another one was able to set the rookie record for touchdown passes while not being treated as the starter during the offseason either.
You mean they think the guy they kept is better than the guy they let go?

The Packers not re-signing Boyle doesn't mean they believe Love is a better player at this point. They rightfull declined to pay $2.5 million to retain their backup.

Any chance the Pack figured ANY backup QB would be ineffective, so why even bother to throw Love in too early?

NFL teams definitely want the quarterback giving them a better chance to win a game while replacing the starter as their backup.

Fully agree. People forget about covid and also keep trying to point to Rodgers backing up Favre his rookie season. I just read about that decision and the writer said "nobody knew who was the #2 until like week #1 and even then it was in principle only and everybody knew that if Brett went down Craig Nall was most likely the starter for the next game."

It's hilarious what posters come up with to explain why Love wasn't able to move past Boyle on the depth chart. It might be the smart thing to accept that he just wasn't better for whatever reason last year.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It's hilarious what posters come up with to explain why Love wasn't able to move past Boyle on the depth chart. It might be the smart thing to accept that he just wasn't better for whatever reason last year.

When you continue to push the narrative that Love was a bad pick simply because he didn't pass Boyle on the depth chart, people are going to call you out on it and give you reasons. It might be smart to just say "1 year in the books, lets see what happens this year?"

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The points people are trying to make is that it's very unusual and concerning that Love was so unprepared to play in the NFL coming out of the Mt West conference that he couldn't beat out Boyle for the back up position and secondly, why spend so much draft capital on a guy who appears to be such a project ? I hope Rodgers sits out OTA's so the FO and coaches get a better look at Love. If he's a massive bust, it will probably show up in practices. On the other hand, if he looks like another Maholms, then the FO can get more leverage over Rodgers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The points people are trying to make is that it's very unusual and concerning that Love was so unprepared to play in the NFL coming out of the Mt West conference that he couldn't beat out Boyle for the back up position and secondly, why spend so much draft capital on a guy who appears to be such a project ?
Those people wringing their hands over this seem to be the only ones "worried", the Packers still seem excited about Love. I also wonder if this "worry" about Love, isn't actually more of a veiled reason for saying "told you the Packers weren't committed to winning, they chose a QB in the first round and he isn't even the #2 in his first year".

You could make this statement about a lot of draft picks, especially QB's. Can you at least admit that had it been a normal season with full practices and preseason games, you may have actually had decent ammunition to point to and say "See, Love sucked in preseason, he isn't an NFL QB." But even in that case, I would say that you didn't have enough evidence just yet to give up on him.

Last edited:

isocleas2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt the FO didn't intend to start Love right away but what has to be worrysome is that he wasn't good enough to be a backup. The other qb's picked in the first round last year were ready enough to start or be the No 2 qb. The comments from Gute and Lafleur that Love is a "work in progress" or "has a good attitude" just give Rodgers more leverage over the FO. What they don't say is that they have enough confidence in Love that he could lead the offense or start a game if needed. If Love is super raw but has the athletic talent to develop, it doesn't make sense that they used so much draft capital on him since most first round qb's can at least be the back up.

Your take is truly terrible.

The three other 1st round quarterbacks were all taken in the top 6 by rebuilding teams. Of course they're going to get more burn when they have nothing to play for besides developing young talent (Bengals, Chargers). Even Miami went that route for a few years when they were rebuilding.

Their usage of their much higher drafted qbs has zero barring on how a super bowl contender should use its developing future qb.

isocleas2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion that's just a lame excuse for Love not being able to outperform Boyle in admittedly limited practice time.
In my opinion your opinion is a lame attempt to undermine a qb over something that has zero importance to a championship contender.

If Rodgers went down for a game or 2 you're better off playing a veteran who knows the system instead of a guy who's barely old enough to drink and couldn't even really practice.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The points people are trying to make is that it's very unusual and concerning that Love was so unprepared to play in the NFL coming out of the Mt West conference that he couldn't beat out Boyle for the back up position and secondly, why spend so much draft capital on a guy who appears to be such a project ? I hope Rodgers sits out OTA's so the FO and coaches get a better look at Love. If he's a massive bust, it will probably show up in practices. On the other hand, if he looks like another Maholms, then the FO can get more leverage over Rodgers.
who says he was "so unprepared"? or couldn't beat out Boyle? I think it's obvious Love was chosen for the long term, not the short. I don't think they wanted Love to be in the discussion for playing time until next year at the soonest.

I'd think it's at least, if not more, likely the reason Love wasn't named a back up was because they had already decided there was no benefit to putting him on the field last year for their long term plan. Sure they could have thrown him in and see what happened. My guess is that wasn't at all in their plans unless something catastrophic happened it became the only plan.

Otherwise it was always their intention to have him sit and learn and it became more so in a season when there was no opportunity to get game reps or real practice reps. They already thought Love had enough in the tank to trade up and select him in the draft. I doubt they thought, hey if Rodgers does down, lets scrap the long term plan and just toss him out there and see what he does.

It would have been concerning had they kept Boyle for THIS season rather than letting him walk.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion your opinion is a lame attempt to undermine a qb over something that has zero importance to a championship contender.

If Rodgers went down for a game or 2 you're better off playing a veteran who knows the system instead of a guy who's barely old enough to drink and couldn't even really practice.
If Rodgers went down, you are better off playing the better qb. Boyle was better than Love last year because he was qb #2 and Love was qb #3. All that really proves is that Love wasn't prepared well enough by his college experience to beat out Boyle because his practice as a Packer was limited. The FO must be excited about Love's potential because he sure is raw and it is fair to say because he wasn't better than Boyle coming out of Utah St, he's a project player and isn't a bust to date. It's silly to speculate, however, that somehow Love was better than Boyle but was relegated to no 3 that had nothing to do with how well they could play at the time.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If Rodgers went down, you are better off playing the better qb. Boyle was better than Love last year because he was qb #2 and Love was qb #3. All that really proves is that Love wasn't prepared well enough by his college experience to beat out Boyle because his practice as a Packer was limited. The FO must be excited about Love's potential because he sure is raw and it is fair to say because he wasn't better than Boyle coming out of Utah St, he's a project player and isn't a bust to date. It's silly to speculate, however, that somehow Love was better than Boyle but was relegated to no 3 that had nothing to do with how well they could play at the time.
I think the point many of us are trying to make is that some of you are trying to take a small snapshot in a very small timeline and try to use it to say "ahh haaaa....see! We now have proof that Love was a bad draft pick!!!" Like its some sort of damning and substantial evidence of an opinion. Yeah, so you are right, the moment Love was drafted, he wasn't prepared to be the Packer starting QB and Boyle was. With very little practice and no preseason games, same situation on a SB contending team. This has absolutely no baring on who ultimately will be the better QB of the 2 of them. Would you be willing to place money on Boyle having a more productive career than Love?

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boyle was better than Love last year because he was qb #2 and Love was qb #3. All that really proves is that Love wasn't prepared well enough by his college experience to beat out Boyle because his practice as a Packer was limited.
It had little to do with Love's collegiate experience and more to do with Boyle's familiarity with the playbook. Even if they each had equal time to practice and prepare AND if Love outperformed Boyle in pre-season, I highly doubt there were any plans to put Love in at #2 last year

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I"m not speculating that Love was better than Boyle, i'm saying it wouldn't have mattered at that point. Love was picked for the long term, I don't think they had much intention of changing that plan if they didn't have to. Had things played different, maybe we could draw different conclusions.

like Rodgers was out and Boyle came in didn't play well and we had to go the next 9 games with Boyle as our starter and Love could never overtake him or something, but as it played out, i'm not sure there is really anything to take from the situation other than Love was their long term pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I"m not speculating that Love was better than Boyle
I'm speculating that MLF felt that Boyle was better prepared to come in off the bench and fill in if Rodgers got knocked out of a game. I'm also speculating that this will rate about a 1% in importance when it comes to Jordan Loves full NFL career. Of course, some want to use it as damning evidence to prove how wrong the pick was.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, my guess is that the plan all along was to pace themselves and bring Love along slowly.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Love is super raw but has the athletic talent to develop, it doesn't make sense that they used so much draft capital on him since most first round qb's can at least be the back up.

I think it's pretty clear that the Packers FO overestimated Love's ability to play QB in the NFL. As of now anyway.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's pretty clear that the Packers FO overestimated Love's ability to play QB in the NFL. As of now anyway.

How can this claim be substantiated? Pretty clear because of what? Have I missed some true pad slamming games he has played in which would indicate even a little bit if he is good, bad, terrible, holds immense potential it appears or is a Jamarcus Russel bust level type guy?

David Ciembronowicz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In one of the other threads, someone mentioned that Mark Murphy and Brian Gutekunst should be removed for not putting a better team around Rodgers. I thought that this deserved its own thread.

The Jerry Jones, the McCaskeys, the Fords, the Wilfs, and other team owners can state their intention to win a Super Bowl and expect that their front office will do what they can to appease the owner. They might go all-in for the win. A Super Bowl might bring the owner/team a new stadium, owner prestige, a new fanbase, etc...

My impression of the Packers, is that since they are community owned and essentially run like a corporation that they have a different set of goals and values. There is no single owner demanding that we draft so-and-so in order to win it all this year. The Packers president is supposed to keep the revenue flowing. Here is an excerpt that I found in an article about the board of directors from 2016:

“We’re directors of a very financially successful organization, but we’re also stewards of basically a national treasure and an international icon. We understand that and try to act appropriately.” -Thomas Olson
https://www.packersnews.com/story/news/2016/07/22/no-one-owner-directors-guide-packers/87289304/

This reinforces what I was thinking. The board and front office aren't trying to win a Super Bowl necessarily. It would be great of course, but their main goal is to ensure that nearly ever season is a winning season in Green Bay. That keeps the profit margins high and sustains the 'national treasure.' A singular owner may push Super Bowls in order to increase the team value. I don't think that the Packers care how the franchise is valued. Their singular focus is a healthy bottom line which means winning every season.

This approach helps explain why Jordan Love was picked. It wasn't about this year - it's about the next decade. The Packers organizational structure takes the long view, whereas singular owners can be driven by desire/pride/ego to take a short view in hopes have winning the title.

Thoughts?
Agree with most of what you are saying, true regarding the Packers organization and its goals, objectives and how it operates. 99% of fans don't really know what has transpired in the current "Rodgers saga"; is there blame to go around for both management and Rodgers, yep.... however, IMO Rodgers is being obstinate and childish, has made enough money that he deep down believes he can walk away from football or maybe it he thinks he will be on another team and that the "grass will be greener" elsewhere. Maybe that will happen, maybe not, bottom line is Rodgers has shown he really does not want to be a Packer any longer. From a fan perspective, see ya...... tired of prima donnas in sports who believe they "are the game", does anyone really believe that Rodgers is THE Packers? Was Brett Favre? Was Hornung? They are few and far between, but they all come and go- just like management teams come and go. Would rather go 6-11 than have to sit through a year of listening to Rodgers complain or be responsible for a change in management team (even if it might be needed)...

David Ciembronowicz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can this claim be substantiated? Pretty clear because of what? Have I missed some true pad slamming games he has played in which would indicate even a little bit if he is good, bad, terrible, holds immense potential it appears or is a Jamarcus Russel bust level type guy?
The only people that know anything about Love are the coaches who have been working with him. Fans don't, they can only speculate based on college football games 2-3 years ago. Is he the guy? Have no idea, maybe not, he was a "reach" in the draft but maybe he improves to be an able NFL QB. Only time, games and results will tell.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is he the guy? Have no idea, maybe not, he was a "reach" in the draft but maybe he improves to be an able NFL QB.
There were three QBs taken ahead of him in the draft, after all. But the front office was high on him, so we'll see. Personally, I'm optimistic. If Rodgers stiffs us though, Love will be missing out on a few years of studying at his feet. That could hurt, and wasn't in the plans. I doubt that studying at the feet of Bortles would be quite the same.

D

Deleted member 6794

When you continue to push the narrative that Love was a bad pick simply because he didn't pass Boyle on the depth chart, people are going to call you out on it and give you reasons. It might be smart to just say "1 year in the books, lets see what happens this year?"

You keep suggesting that I consider Love a bad pick because he wasn't able to move past Boyle on the depth chart during his rookie campaign, something I have never mentioned. It's concerning he wasn't able to considering Boyle's experience mostly consists of kneel downs at the pro level.

It should be pretty important for any team in the league that a quarterback selected in the first round wasn't good enough to move past a former undrafted player who has a total of four career passing attempts to his credit.

I think the point many of us are trying to make is that some of you are trying to take a small snapshot in a very small timeline and try to use it to say "ahh haaaa....see! We now have proof that Love was a bad draft pick!!!" Like its some sort of damning and substantial evidence of an opinion.

I haven't seen a single post suggesting Love not being able to move past Boyle serves as evidence for him being a terrible pick. It shouldn't be ignored like a lot of you do though.

Even if they each had equal time to practice and prepare AND if Love outperformed Boyle in pre-season, I highly doubt there were any plans to put Love in at #2 last year

It wouldn't make any sense for the coaching staff to not dress Love if he would have been outperforming Boyle.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You keep suggesting that I consider Love a bad pick because he wasn't able to move past Boyle on the depth chart during his rookie campaign, something I have never mentioned. It's concerning he wasn't able to considering Boyle's experience mostly consists of kneel downs at the pro level.

Why is this eating at you so much Captain? If you aren't using this as proof that Love might have been a bad pick, why continually bring up what many think is an irrelevant thing. What are your exact concerns about Love, besides this one trivial thing?

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is this eating at you so much Captain? If you aren't using this as proof that Love might have been a bad pick, why continually bring up what many think is an irrelevant thing. What are your exact concerns about Love, besides this one trivial thing?

It's not a trivial thing. It's a bad omen. Love might turn into a decent QB some day but to not be able to beat out a warm body to hold a clipboard is not encouraging.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts