Packers Front Office Under Fire

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course, that isn't a surprise after the way Herbert performed during his rookie campaign.
For proper context, here is what else I wrote:

"This isn't totally fair because Herbert has one season under his belt and Love hasn't taken a snap. I hope I'm wrong and Love excels."

Reaction score
Really? I missed those comments. But ask most fans if they'd rather have Herbert or Love as the next QB in GB and I think Herbert wins by a landslide.

This isn't totally fair because Herbert has one season under his belt and Love hasn't taken a snap. I hope I'm wrong and Love excels.
The GBP never intended on starting Love in his rookie season. My best hypothesis was they were going to plan on Love starting in 2022, without extenuating circumstances. Then came Mr. MVP!
Gute was handing out FA player contracts like it was cotton candy thinking we’d be on a full Rookie QB contract by 2023 or thereabouts.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's true for college coaches in general. They have to be good recruiters as well.

I agree Lombardi took over a team with a lot of talented players though.

The Packers trusted Boyle to have a better chance of winning a game coming off the bench to replace Rodgers. That strongly indicates Boyle would have started in case of Rodgers being out for a game as well.

As mentioned repeatedly not a ringing endorsement for Love by any means.
Well, it was my expectation that if Rodgers had to come out of a game last tear Boyle would replace him. And that makes sense. I think Boyle has at least some snaps under his belt, either in PS or mop up. Love didn't even have a real training camp, so putting him in would have been bad for the team, and Love.

Reaction score
There were some posters disagreeing with that take, considering Love the better prospect.
There were also some draft experts saying the same. They might have noticed things like this...

Love and a Herbert both played 1 common opponent in 2018. Michigan State. Although Love faced them at Michigan while Herbert faced them on a Neutral field in the Redbox Bowl. The results?

Love scored 31 points in drives of:
TD, Downs, Punt, Punt, INT, TD
Punt, FG, TD, TD and INT

Love led 31-30 until the 2minute warning when Michigan State went ahead 38-31 with a TD and 2pt conversion. Love immediately marched back to midfield 47 yard line and had a ball tipped by a blitzing LB and came perfectly into his hands as he fell to the ground. That sealed the game as it was just under 1 minute on the clock 1 TO left.

Herbert Scored 7 points in drives of:
Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt
Punt, Punt, Punt, TD, Downs, Punt
true story!
But Oregon beats Michigan ST by a score of 7-6 because of an incredible Defensive outing by Oregon.

These are the types of “real life comparisons” that put Love in conversation with Justin Herbert.
Also

MWC went 4-6 against PAC-12 in head to head contests in 2018.

MWC went even .500 against PAC-12 in head to head contests in 2019.

These are real life comparisons scouts use. hardly an inferior conference there and Gute wasn’t reaching there regardless of what us novice fans want to conjure up as evidence to the contrary.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The GBP never intended on starting Love in his rookie season. My best hypothesis was they were going to plan on Love starting in 2022, without extenuating circumstances. Then came Mr. MVP!
Gute was handing out FA player contracts like it was cotton candy thinking we’d be on a full Rookie QB contract by 2023 or thereabouts.
Yeah I don't think most people envisioned Love starting until 2023. I mean Rodgers rode the bench behind Favre for three years, maybe it was two.

The GM has to look out for the long term competitiveness of the team. I just thought Love, or any other QB taken by him that year, was at least one year early. It seems like Gluten thought Rodgers was in decline, and I think his TD total was mid 20s. but he led the team to a 13-3 season and the NFCCG.

The biggest mistakes Gluten made were 1) giving up on Rodgers too soon, and 2) not keeping a line of communication open with him. That probably wouldn't rile up most guys, at least not to this extent, but yeah we're talking about Mr. MVP. He holds a grudge against his family, and that pretty much sums it up.

I really wish we'd get two more years from Rodgers. That doesn't seem likely. At least Love will have a PS this year, and then I expect him to start. He's a first round draft pick, and that's not an unreasonable expectation.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would Rodgers think he has leverage over the FO if Love came in and was NFL ready? If you trade up to get a guy in the first round in today's QB friendly NFL, most rookies are ready or they seem to struggle and never get over the hump. Sitting first round draft picks rarely lasts more than one year at most. It's not inconceivable that Rodgers stance against Gute also stems from what appears to be that Love isn't close to being NFL ready.

Reaction score
Would Rodgers think he has leverage over the FO if Love came in and was NFL ready? If you trade up to get a guy in the first round in today's QB friendly NFL, most rookies are ready or they seem to struggle and never get over the hump. Sitting first round draft picks rarely lasts more than one year at most. It's not inconceivable that Rodgers stance against Gute also stems from what appears to be that Love isn't close to being NFL ready.
I think that Rodgers fully understands that starting Love is premature. He’s using Love’s minimal preparation to his strategic advantage. Which is just another example to me where Rodgers’ actions don’t match his words. Friends like that and Love doesn’t need enemies.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know, Rodgers is not exactly ancient history and a lot of people think him sitting did not hurt him at all. I tend to think that the pressure put on by the fans affects owners and then they affect the coaches and young QBs who might benefit from sitting...don't. That can screw up a guy and almost as bad, give him a bum rap imho. And so I do not mind Love sitting and I think the well being of a possible franchise QB is more important than the now. And really, there are actually quite a number of teams that are "close." Not just us. And I'd like to stay "close" for the foreseeable future.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back when Favre had his falling out with the team, there were people who were saying Rodgers was better than Favre. Not many, but some. The only thing that bugs me is right now I don't hear anyone saying Love is better than Rodgers.

I'll say this and I've said it in here plenty...Love can do everything and more physically that Rodgers can do. With the MLF system being so much better than what Rodgers came up in, I mean idk

I can't speak on the most important aspect and what makes Rodgers the player he is which is his intelligence. If Love has it mentally I see no reason the Mahomes/Rodgers comparisons can't come to fruition

Granted those 2 are probably the most talented to ever play the position and the argument is between those 2 alone so it's obviously not gonna be easy for the kid but I for one think he has a real chance

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Rodgers fully understands that starting Love is premature. He’s using Love’s minimal preparation to his strategic advantage. Which is just another example to me where Rodgers’ actions don’t match his words. Friends like that and Love doesn’t need enemies.

I liked your comment but I don't think that makes Rodgers an enemy to Love. Rodgers using his leverage is just business and if Love gets to that point I'm sure he'll use the leverage he's earned when it benefits him. This is after all just whaat these guys do for work....

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Then Gutes a dummy...it's been clear that it's not smart to doubt Aaron Rodgers

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt the FO didn't intend to start Love right away but what has to be worrysome is that he wasn't good enough to be a backup. The other qb's picked in the first round last year were ready enough to start or be the No 2 qb. The comments from Gute and Lafleur that Love is a "work in progress" or "has a good attitude" just give Rodgers more leverage over the FO. What they don't say is that they have enough confidence in Love that he could lead the offense or start a game if needed. If Love is super raw but has the athletic talent to develop, it doesn't make sense that they used so much draft capital on him since most first round qb's can at least be the back up.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt the FO didn't intend to start Love right away but what has to be worrysome is that he wasn't good enough to be a backup. The other qb's picked in the first round last year were ready enough to start or be the No 2 qb. The comments from Gute and Lafleur that Love is a "work in progress" or "has a good attitude" just give Rodgers more leverage over the FO. What they don't say is that they have enough confidence in Love that he could lead the offense or start a game if needed. If Love is super raw but has the athletic talent to develop, it doesn't make sense that they used so much draft capital on him since most first round qb's can at least be the back up.
There was no training camp or preseason last year, and minimal practice...Love didn't even have a chance to prove he was worthy of being #2.

Reaction score
I liked your comment but I don't think that makes Rodgers an enemy to Love. Rodgers using his leverage is just business and if Love gets to that point I'm sure he'll use the leverage he's earned when it benefits him. This is after all just whaat these guys do for work....
Hey! We’re making progress Quick. We’re at least liking the stuff we don’t fully disagree with. If we can do that? Skies the limit for Rodgers :roflmao:

D

Deleted member 6794

There was no training camp or preseason last year, and minimal practice...Love didn't even have a chance to prove he was worthy of being #2.

In my opinion that's just a lame excuse for Love not being able to outperform Boyle in admittedly limited practice time.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion that's just a lame excuse for Love not being able to outperform Boyle in admittedly limited practice time.
Lame? come on, it happens every year to almost every single player that ever becomes anything in the NFL. it takes some reps and some experience. He got none at this level basically. And we don't even know if he "outperformed" or not. We didn't see anything. Every year almost every single rookie needs work and time before they step into any role. It's not lame, it's pretty much the reality of every player in the history of the NFL.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And he had limited time to learn the playbook and build a rapport with the offense. Expecting ANY rookie to outperform Boyle is asinine

Reaction score
In my opinion that's just a lame excuse for Love not being able to outperform Boyle in admittedly limited practice time
Roster depth charts are not indictments on particular players’ success. Last year Boyle was the incumbent backup QB nothing more.
We now have ability to see who GB thought was better all along.

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that's an excuse. The other first round qb's were able to show enough in limited reps to at least back up and Herbert even started. Last year's situation certainly didn't help Love at all but if he were more ready to play coming out of college, he would've at least been the back up. Perhaps Rodgers hokdout is a blessing in disguise. If Love is a bust, it would likely show up in practice and the FO can deal with Rodgers with less uncertainty at the position.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lame? come on, it happens every year to almost every single player that ever becomes anything in the NFL. it takes some reps and some experience. He got none at this level basically. And we don't even know if he "outperformed" or not. We didn't see anything. Every year almost every single rookie needs work and time before they step into any role. It's not lame, it's pretty much the reality of every player in the history of the NFL.

I really don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect a player a team traded up in the first round for to outperform Boyle. I could understand him being behind Boyle for a few weeks but every week? Jalen Hurts was more raw coming out of college and he certainly looked better than Boyle ever has.

Please don’t take this to mean i think Love is a bust, I’m just saying his inability to pass Boyle is concerning. A first round QB the front office drools over shouldn’t be behind an undrafted free agent backup.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the intention was for Love to ever play a snap last year unless Rodgers got injured. Even then, it'd be the Boyle show. I think with the lack of a real offseason, they wanted Boyle to be the main backup while they slowly groomed Love to be the guy. I don't think Boyle beat out anybody, but his experience in the system was more valuable than a rookie who was learning 1. how to be a pro. 2. the system. 3. adjusting mechanics from college. It would have been VERY concerning to me if they retained Boyle and kept Love inactive this year though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Covid or no covid. It matter not at all to me if Love was not suiting up. They drafted him with the expectation of sitting. So why would you suit him up unless Rodgers went down and Boyle could not win?
Fully agree. People forget about covid and also keep trying to point to Rodgers backing up Favre his rookie season. I just read about that decision and the writer said "nobody knew who was the #2 until like week #1 and even then it was in principle only and everybody knew that if Brett went down Craig Nall was most likely the starter for the next game."

Members online

Latest posts