Packers Front Office Under Fire

D

Deleted member 6794

He wasn’t an option for us.

Gutekunst could have traded up in front of the Vikings to make it work.

what they needed was a replacement for Jones and 2 tackles. Just 1 more WR with no time to throw anyway, excellent strategy Cotton

The point is that using last year's first round pick on a player who actually got on the field would have definitely helped more than a quarterback not being active even once.

It's mind-boggling most of you don't want to accept that.

Like...we had Adams in the slot against Tampa. He wasn’t getting covered by a freaking LB lol.

Just for the record, Adams was targeted twice while being covered by White.

Not buying it. He’s talked about it. He runs what he runs. Shanahan is very similar too.

The Packers still used three wide receiver sets on the majority of snaps on offense. I'm quite sure another talented receiver would have improved the unit.

Facts are, our Tackles, our RB who's looking for 12+ million per, and a DB cost us this game. We probably would have survived the DB and RB deficits had our Tackles been able to stand in the way a bit better than they did. So keep dreaming.

The Packers could have used the first rounder on a tackle as well.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're mind boggling. Let's rehash the draft AGAIN LOL

Everybody knows Love wasn't for this year. EVERYBODY. thank you for the news flash. Someone who did play might contribute more than someone who didn't? WOW, blow me ****ing over LOL

Here's a news flash. Our offense was plenty good enough to win a super bowl, something most of you lamented all year long, proven wrong on a weekly basis and despite being good enough, sometimes things don't work. Yes, they could have picked differently in every round in the draft and maybe we're better, and maybe we're worse.

D

Deleted member 6794

Everybody knows Love wasn't for this year. EVERYBODY. thank you for the news flash. Someone who did play might contribute more than someone who didn't? WOW, blow me ******* over LOL

Let me explain it once again as you once again can't cope with someone daring to criticize the team's front office.

It would have been smarter to use the first round pick in last year's draft on a player (on offense or defense) who could have helped the Packers win a Super Bowl this season instead of selecting a quarterback who might end up getting us back to the point we already were in entering this season some years down the road.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me explain it once again as you once again can't cope with someone daring to criticize the team's front office.

It would have been smarter to use the first round pick in last year's draft on a player (on offense or defense) who could have helped the Packers win a Super Bowl this season instead of selecting a quarterback who might end up getting us back to the point we already were in entering this season some years down the road.
sure I can't. It's a valid criticism. I said after the draft, I've said it since and I'll say it again. and as I said then, I view QB's differently than pretty much every other position and whether this is a good or bad pick won't be known until he plays IMO.

what if they picked someone else and it was a Ahmad Carroll clone? did it help?

anyway, at the end of the day, this team was good enough to win a super bowl and didn't do it. Seems the FO had a better gauge on this team than the rest of us.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While the Packers offense improved, they went into the season with a lack of depth at OT and it cost them big time in the nfccg. I blame LaFleur for failing to game plan and then adjust to the fact he had a guard playing left tackle against a talented pass rush. Putting Turner on an island too many times lead to sacks and resulting unsuccessful drives. The lack of depth was clearly the result of Gute using the 2020 draft to pick guys in the first 4 rounds that made meager contributions to the 2020 team. The front office did not maximize its opportunities to get this team over the hump to win that elusive Super Bowl. For that they deserve a ton of criticism for once again squandering an MVP season by AR.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me be the first to say I agree, although ______ deserve(s) a ton of criticism for ______.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm of the mindset that we have a unique opportunity with Rodgers here, but we've just been spinning our wheels paying it forward, instead of going for it. Maybe if Rodgers would have had this kind of season last year, they would have been looking to put us over the hump more, instead of planning for the future. As it was, I imagine there were concerns about him staying healthy, and how much money he would be making.

I would rather win a Super Bowl now, and then flounder a bit when Rodgers retires, get a high draft pick and get a quarterback then. I know some people would rather make the playoffs every year (or most). But I would trade those last four NFCCGs for one more Lombardi to display in Lambeau. I suppose if they really think Love is the guy, they did the right thing.

Five NFCCGs with Rodgers, and every one was against a different team. I admire the consistency, but that also means four different teams came up and surpassed us during that span. It's a little frustrating.

D

Deleted member 6794

what if they picked someone else and it was a Ahmad Carroll clone? did it help?

There's always the risk involved with a draft pick that it doesn't work out. But I would have felt way more comfortable with the Packers using their first rounder last year on a position in actual need of an upgrade.

anyway, at the end of the day, this team was good enough to win a super bowl and didn't do it. Seems the FO had a better gauge on this team than the rest of us.

Well, ultimately they weren't good enough to win the Super Bowl.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's always the risk involved with a draft pick that it doesn't work out. But I would have felt way more comfortable with the Packers using their first rounder last year on a position in actual need of an upgrade.

Well, ultimately they weren't good enough to win the Super Bowl.
Baloney and you know it. Just like whoever loses this next game also is good enough to win, though they'll fall short.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm of the mindset that we have a unique opportunity with Rodgers here, but we've just been spinning our wheels paying it forward, instead of going for it. Maybe if Rodgers would have had this kind of season last year, they would have been looking to put us over the hump more, instead of planning for the future. As it was, I imagine there were concerns about him staying healthy, and how much money he would be making.

I would rather win a Super Bowl now, and then flounder a bit when Rodgers retires, get a high draft pick and get a quarterback then. I know some people would rather make the playoffs every year (or most). But I would trade those last four NFCCGs for one more Lombardi to display in Lambeau. I suppose if they really think Love is the guy, they did the right thing.

Five NFCCGs with Rodgers, and every one was against a different team. I admire the consistency, but that also means four different teams came up and surpassed us during that span. It's a little frustrating.
We had six players on the first and second team all-pro team. Let’s not pretend that Rodgers is a one man team. To think that a rookie drafted 30th or 26th is going to be the key to winning the Super Bowl is IMO a total pipe dream and completely unrealistic.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're mind boggling. Let's rehash the draft AGAIN LOL

Everybody knows Love wasn't for this year. EVERYBODY. thank you for the news flash. Someone who did play might contribute more than someone who didn't? WOW, blow me ******* over LOL

Here's a news flash. Our offense was plenty good enough to win a super bowl, something most of you lamented all year long, proven wrong on a weekly basis and despite being good enough, sometimes things don't work. Yes, they could have picked differently in every round in the draft and maybe we're better, and maybe we're worse.

Offense was good enough to win the super bowl? Really because the way I saw it they failed to get any points off of 3 consecutive interceptions with a chance to take the lead and seal the game...no matter what else happened (king/jones) in the end Rodgers asked z smith to get him the ball back, the defense did 3 times in a row and the offense failed

Had the offense been good enough I believe the Packers would be preparing to play in a super bowl

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense was good enough to win the super bowl? Really because the way I saw it they failed to get any points off of 3 consecutive interceptions with a chance to take the lead and seal the game...no matter what else happened (king/jones) in the end Rodgers asked z smith to get him the ball back, the defense did 3 times in a row and the offense failed

Had the offense been good enough I believe the Packers would be preparing to play in a super bowl
Some people clearly can’t tell the difference between a bad team and a bad game.

This offense was one of the most efficient in the history of the league, clearly they were trash lol

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Some people clearly can’t tell the difference between a bad team and a bad game.

This offense was one of the most efficient in the history of the league, clearly they were trash lol
This is why sometimes I just say

your opinion is diff and we just have to disagree

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We had six players on the first and second team all-pro team. Let’s not pretend that Rodgers is a one man team. To think that a rookie drafted 30th or 26th is going to be the key to winning the Super Bowl is IMO a total pipe dream and completely unrealistic.
The fact that they did have so many good players aside of Rodgers is precisely why an additional one could have been the tipping point. Many other posts in here have enumerated all of the key plays in the NFCCG ... any one of which that could have changed the outcome of that game. Having an additional starter at WR CB Defensive line etc... most definitely would have had the potential to change the outcome.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The fact that they did have so many good players aside of Rodgers is precisely why an additional one could have been the tipping point. Many other posts in here have enumerated all of the key plays in the NFCCG ... any one of which that could have changed the outcome of that game. Having an additional starter at WR CB Defensive line etc... most definitely would have had the potential to change the outcome.
I guess we just have a different view of rookies. The 22 man all rookie team is a long ways away from the 22 man all pro team. Every single year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when you're in that last game and it's down to a possession it's easy to play the what if game. and that's fine, but it's just playing games. This team we had was good enough. They didn't do it, but they were good enough.

Sure we could have had another WR, maybe it helps, but maybe they pull a Devante and drop a TD play they make 9 out of 10 times. Or maybe they do their Aaron Jones impersonation who accumulated like 30 TD's and 3,000yds from scrimmage in the past 2 seasons and decides to fumble twice in basically a half of football and give Tampa the ball on the 8 with points. Maybe they're worse. Maybe they put us over the top, but regardless this offense was good enough, but they weren't last weekend.

We didn't need anybody to be a superman, just play to their level they have established for themselves.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Absolutely not what I said in anyway shape or form...you said good enough and bad game or not it turned out they were not good enough to get the win in the nfc championship game

I wasn't totally against the jordan love pick, I was against the trade up to make the pick. If I was gonna trade up it would of been for Justin Jefferson as was rumored the Packers attempted to do.

Don't know what they offered to get to 20 but I'd imagine they could of increased the offer and got the deal done. Had they, I'm thinking the Packers are preparing to play in the super bowl right now. Apparently gute thought whatever it was gonna take to get to 20 was too much compensation vs giving up a 4th to draft love

Now if love turns into a future hall of famer in green bay gute was right...

but if he doesn't Gute passed up a superbowl and potential dynasty because he didn't wanna give up a 3rd to get to 20 to secure a player Rodgers mentioned on draft night and the Packers front office clearly had great admiration for

88 catches 1400 yards 15.9 yards per catch 7 tds

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when you're in that last game and it's down to a possession it's easy to play the what if game. and that's fine, but it's just playing games. This team we had was good enough. They didn't do it, but they were good enough.

Sure we could have had another WR, maybe it helps, but maybe they pull a Devante and drop a TD play they make 9 out of 10 times. Or maybe they do their Aaron Jones impersonation who accumulated like 30 TD's and 3,000yds from scrimmage in the past 2 seasons and decides to fumble twice in basically a half of football and give Tampa the ball on the 8 with points. Maybe they're worse. Maybe they put us over the top, but regardless this offense was good enough, but they weren't last weekend.

We didn't need anybody to be a superman, just play to their level they have established for themselves.

You are really the one playing the what if game. I agree that the team was good enough if certain circumstances had played out in their favor. The fact is that they didn’t. Dismissing the fact that the team likely could have been even better with another first rounder on the field simply because you want to claim the team was good enough.... is silly.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are really the one playing the what if game. I agree that the team was good enough if certain circumstances had played out in their favor. The fact is that they didn’t. Dismissing the fact that the team likely could have been even better with another first rounder on the field simply because you want to claim the team was good enough.... is silly.
I have never, ever said they couldn't have been better with someone else in the first round. What I am not doing, is rehashing the 1st round draft pick all over again. I am not defending the Love pick, I didn't want Love to be picked. and I have stated my reasons 100 times in a draft thread so I don't see the need to go thru it again.

well I guess i have defended it in the sense that as a QB, if he turns out to be good, it was a good pick IMO. as for defending it as something I wanted them to do? Not once.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely not what I said in anyway shape or form...you said good enough and bad game or not it turned out they were not good enough to get the win in the nfc championship game

I wasn't totally against the jordan love pick, I was against the trade up to make the pick. If I was gonna trade up it would of been for Justin Jefferson as was rumored the Packers attempted to do.

Don't know what they offered to get to 20 but I'd imagine they could of increased the offer and got the deal done. Had they, I'm thinking the Packers are preparing to play in the super bowl right now. Apparently gute thought whatever it was gonna take to get to 20 was too much compensation vs giving up a 4th to draft love

Now if love turns into a future hall of famer in green bay gute was right...

but if he doesn't Gute passed up a superbowl and potential dynasty because he didn't wanna give up a 3rd to get to 20 to secure a player Rodgers mentioned on draft night and the Packers front office clearly had great admiration for

88 catches 1400 yards 15.9 yards per catch 7 tds
You're right, they didn't win. You don't think this team was good enough, Ok. I think they were, but they fell short. while there is but 1 winner, I generally feel there are anywhere from 2-5 teams in any given year very capable of winning this thing and I don't think there is any question this team was one of those.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That raises the question of why they weren't able to get it done after Brady threw three picks? Are the Bucs the '85 Bears? If so, they should slice up Kansas City next week. Do the Packers (and Rodgers) just choke in big games? Is it simply a case of bad matchups? Is it because Tampa was a more balanced team than we were?

It looks to me like the defense let us down in the first half, and the offense let us down in the second.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have never, ever said they couldn't have been better with someone else in the first round. What I am not doing, is rehashing the 1st round draft pick all over again. I am not defending the Love pick, I didn't want Love to be picked. and I have stated my reasons 100 times in a draft thread so I don't see the need to go thru it again.

well I guess i have defended it in the sense that as a QB, if he turns out to be good, it was a good pick IMO. as for defending it as something I wanted them to do? Not once.

The 1st round pick is relevant to this discussion though. Just because you're tired of having to discuss it does not mean it's not relevant; in fact, after the Packers flamed out again the NFCCG and Rodgers had a literal MVP season, it would appear to be HIGHLY relevant that the Packers decided to find Rodger's replacement what looks to be 2-3 years too early.

For the Love pick to not have been a bad pick, Love will need to be a perennial MVP candidate. That might happen but the chances are pretty slim.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That raises the question of why they weren't able to get it done after Brady threw three picks? Are the Bucs the '85 Bears? If so, they should slice up Kansas City next week. Do the Packers (and Rodgers) just choke in big games? Is it simply a case of bad matchups? Is it because Tampa was a more balanced team than we were?

It looks to me like the defense let us down in the first half, and the offense let us down in the second.

I think it speaks to the point that defenses should be evaluated on the number of weaknesses they have, not the number of strengths. In the first half, it was obvious the Packers had major weaknesses at corner, which the Bucs took advantage of. For the offense, the Packers couldn't adjust to both the Bucs pass rush and the loss of Jones in the second half; I think the team's lack of consistent depth/speed at receiver meant that the offense was a little too predictable if 2+ tight ends were in to help in pass protection. Both sides had their problems during that game. Next season I have faith the offense will be great again while Gute will need have some serious tricks up his sleeve to improve the defense.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 1st round pick is relevant to this discussion though. Just because you're tired of having to discuss it does not mean it's not relevant; in fact, after the Packers flamed out again the NFCCG and Rodgers had a literal MVP season, it would appear to be HIGHLY relevant that the Packers decided to find Rodger's replacement what looks to be 2-3 years too early.

For the Love pick to not have been a bad pick, Love will need to be a perennial MVP candidate. That might happen but the chances are pretty slim.
yeah, as was said 500 times over.

and regardless, Pick Love or someone else and play it all over again, we didn't "need" anyone different. We needed the man with 30TD's and over 3000 yards from scrimmage to not put the ball on ground twice and give it to them at the 8.

I said we should have had Oline or Dline early, should I pat myself on the back for calling it because BakhT went out and we would have had someone more capable than Wagner to plug in and move people around?

anyway, again, this whole line of discussion started about WR's again and I put them way down the list as to reasons we're not in the super bowl. We needed the guys that ran over the Rams to at least stand in the way of the Bucs. We needed Adams to catch the TD's he always does. That's what we needed out of our offense that was very, very good all year.

Latest posts