Packers Forum Mock Draft

D

Deleted member 6794

If these are 2 guys that would fit well into the Packer plans, the perfect scenario, that might land them both, would be to trade that #14 pick with either the Patriots (for the #23 and #31) or the Browns for their #33 and #35. Why would the Patriots trade away 2 first rounders? Simple, if a QB they covet is still available at #14.

With Brady still in the mix I highly doubt the Patriots would agree to trade both of their first round picks to move up to #14.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubt this is the article (below), but I have heard/seen both Chark and Hughes name thrown around a lot in regards to the Packers. I almost think 14 is too early for Hughes and 45 will be to late for Chark. If these are 2 guys that would fit well into the Packer plans, the perfect scenario, that might land them both, would be to trade that #14 pick with either the Patriots (for the #23 and #31) or the Browns for their #33 and #35. Why would the Patriots trade away 2 first rounders? Simple, if a QB they covet is still available at #14. Prying those 2 picks from the Browns might be tougher, since they already have 2 first round picks, but you never know.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...s-wr-d-j-chark-a-perfect-pairing-for-packers/
I like Chark, but there will be some growing pains. I think Ridley, More, and Suttin go before him. Then there are 4 or 5 guys who are in the Chark range, Washington, kirk, Miller, . . .who are all in the conversation. I think chark will be there at 45 and if not, there will still be a very good one who will help us. I still prefer Moore.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Appears they are still thin at QB (AJ McCarron, Nathan Peterman and your 2 picks... Rudolph and Falk) :laugh:

Sorry, just giving you the business. Seems like the Bills have been seaching for a QB since Jim Kelly hung it up in 96.

Don't act like you're not jealous...
Falk >Kelly..... :)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I like Chark, but there will be some growing pains. I think Ridley, More, and Suttin go before him. Then there are 4 or 5 guys who are in the Chark range, Washington, kirk, Miller, . . .who are all in the conversation. I think chark will be there at 45 and if not, there will still be a very good one who will help us. I still prefer Moore.
I like Moore over Chark as well, was just going off of the news of Chark being kicked around as a possible target of the Packers. That said, I think Moore is off the board before Chark and probably not there at #45. Also, the Packers haven't had any official visits with either of them. So far the WR's that the Packers have used an official visit on are:
  • Keith Kirkwood, Temple (PRI)
  • J'Mon Moore, Missouri (PRI)
  • Dante Pettis, Washington (PRI)
  • Deon Yelder, Western Kentucky (PRI)
I'm still going to keep eyeing those 2 first round picks of the Patriots :D

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
With Brady still in the mix I highly doubt the Patriots would agree to trade both of their first round picks to move up to #14.
Actually, it is because of Brady that I think the Patriots might be willing to trade up, to get his replacement. That is unless 32 year old Brian Hoyer is their future QB or BB likes a later round development QB. But if one of the top 5 or 6 QB's is still on the board at #14 and BB really likes him, I can see him making that move.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still have trouble believing the QBs are that good this year that people are going to trading into the first round to get them once they get past the usual 2-3. And even then the usual 2-3 and sometimes 4 first round QBs usually produce one guy worth the pick. On a good year for QBs 2-3, may turn out to be average or slightly better. But we're talking teams actually thinking 4,5,6? QBs worth a first round grade?

I get that people want what they want in the draft and will move to get them. I just find the odds extremely low of any of these scenarios coming to fruition.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still have trouble believing the QBs are that good this year that people are going to trading into the first round to get them once they get past the usual 2-3. And even then the usual 2-3 and sometimes 4 first round QBs usually produce one guy worth the pick. On a good year for QBs 2-3, may turn out to be average or slightly better. But we're talking teams actually thinking 4,5,6? QBs worth a first round grade?

I get that people want what they want in the draft and will move to get them. I just find the odds extremely low of any of these scenarios coming to fruition.

Yes, but i also see Pokerbrat's point. If the Patriots want to draft Brady's successor, they're better doing it now so that the understudy can learn from the master. Assume Brady plays one more year, maybe 2. If the Pats think there's a QB worth taking in the 1st round, who knows? BB & co. made a big mistake letting Garappolo go. Now they have to find a new Garappolo.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

It's definitely a bit unusual that there are 4-6 QB's being tied to being first round picks, but it seems to be the prevailing theme with pretty much every media outlet. Will 4 or 5 go before the Packers pick at #14? I guess we will find out next week. I don't have much doubt that Darnold, Allen, Mayfield and Rosen will be gone. For me the question marks are on Rudolph and Jackson. Im being an optimist and say they both go too. :)

Also, with middle of the road QB's being paid $15M and up, it makes sense that if you don't have a QB or are going to need a QB in the near future, the draft might be the cheapest place to find one.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, it is because of Brady that I think the Patriots might be willing to trade up, to get his replacement. That is unless 32 year old Brian Hoyer is their future QB or BB likes a later round development QB. But if one of the top 5 or 6 QB's is still on the board at #14 and BB really likes him, I can see him making that move.

If they don't make a move, I think they will regret it. They won't always have two 1St to make the move. They might not have an option in coming years. And as long as Brady is qb, they won't be drafting top 10 ever ..
If you consider the amount of qbs with a 1St round grade, compared to typical years of 1 or 2. This year is unique, in that you can trade up to 10, 12, or even 14, and still get one... trading up to 14 is a heck of a lot easier than trading up to #1 or #2. So by simply moving up this year instead of next, the pats save a ton in draft picks by only needing to trade up to top 15 instead of top 1 or 2...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If they don't make a move, I think they will regret it. They won't always have two 1St to make the move. They might not have an option in coming years. And as long as Brady is qb, they won't be drafting top 10 ever ..
If you consider the amount of qbs with a 1St round grade, compared to typical years of 1 or 2. This year is unique, in that you can trade up to 10, 12, or even 14, and still get one... trading up to 14 is a heck of a lot easier than trading up to #1 or #2. So by simply moving up this year instead of next, the pats save a ton in draft picks by only needing to trade up to top 15 instead of top 1 or 2...

Agreed and I have seen a lot of chatter about the Patriots trying to move up to get their QB, whoever that may be. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see that move made and I am hoping BB waits to pull the trigger on it until draft day, since I think if he does it pre draft, it will be with a team ahead of the Packers. But I doubt many teams with top 10 picks will be willing to swap them for just BB's 2 first round picks, so the Packers could be in play. The good news, Miami (11) and Buffalo (12) are 2 teams I doubt will want to give that fire power to their division rival. Now Washington (13), I can see making that trade.

Any scenario that it happens could benefit the Packers, if the trade is made with a team that is ahead of the Packers and wasn't going to pick a QB anyway, that is one more top non-QB on the board.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I noticed buffalo#12, and Miami #11, are in pats division. I doubt pats would trade up with their division opponents...

Edit. Beat me to it. Lol

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a difference though between needing a QB and being in position to take one you think IS going to be the guy, and passing up guys you feel are going to be the guy at any other number of positions, DB, LB, DL, OT etc to get a guy you don't feel has all that much to offer in the way of QB's just because you "need" one. If I need AR's replacement and there are guys I like all over the field, I'm not picking some guy I think is going to JP Lousman just because I "need" a QB.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a difference though between needing a QB and being in position to take one you think IS going to be the guy, and passing up guys you feel are going to be the guy at any other number of positions, DB, LB, DL, OT etc to get a guy you don't feel has all that much to offer in the way of QB's just because you "need" one. If I need AR's replacement and there are guys I like all over the field, I'm not picking some guy I think is going to JP Lousman just because I "need" a QB.
You sound like a guy who has had hof qb play for the last quarter century... :)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You sound like a guy who has had hof qb play for the last quarter century... :)
I'd like to think I sound like a guy that see's a league that loves great QB play, but also recognize not all QB's are capable and there are certainly other ways to field a good team. If there isn't a guy I can position in to that top 2-3 QB spots to get, and a shut down corner is there or a barely serviceable back up which should I pick? Now, if this year's QB class is truly that outstanding, then fine, there will be 5 or 6 picked in the first round and they'll all be starters and productive in 2-3 years. I hope everyone wants a QB this year. The more wrong I am on this, the better it is for GB. But I just don't see it. I'm not going to say teams that need a QB aren't going to move up, but I think giving up much to move up and get QB's 4,5,6 is just talking head fodder to lead up to the draft. Too many other talented players that all teams need to start reaching for back up potential QB's

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't doubt Bill Belichick is looking for Brady's replacement, Brady will be 41 in August. Brian Hoyer might be ok as a backup, but he isn't the long term solution. So I have to think BB is going into this draft with the QB's very well scouted. If one that he feels is going to be a good one falls far enough for him to reach, I see him going after him, especially given the fact that he has two first and two second round picks. Then again, he is Bill frickin Belichick, he probably has a future HOF QB on his list that will be there in the 6th round.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Atlanta is on the clock, but I'd like to pick DJ Chark for the 9ers if he is there. Good night!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I agree wholeheartedly with this assessment. Imo, many of the QB chasing draft analysts are caught up in the moment of what is directly in front of them. I just don’t see this as anything more than just a run of the mill average to below average QB class. Maybe it is exacerbated by my perception that there doesn’t appear to be many elite linemen on both sides of the ball in this draft as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

You're right that might be a possibility. According to the value chart they could move up to #9 by trading both of their first rounders though.

I don't have much doubt that Darnold, Allen, Mayfield and Rosen will be gone.

In my opinion it's possible Allen will still be on the board with the Packers on the clock.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You're right that might be a possibility. According to the value chart they could move up to #9 by trading both of their first rounders though.

In my opinion it's possible Allen will still be on the board with the Packers on the clock.

Sometimes that Jimmy Johnson Draft trade value chart gets tossed out the window when it comes to QB's or a guy multiple teams want. Now will BB, a guy who tends to trade back to pick up more picks, not follow it? Who knows.

It's a Catch-22 for the Packers, you want as many QB's coming off the board before they pick, but if one slips and he is a guy multiple teams picking behind the Packers want, they have a lot more options than just taking someone they may not have had that high on the board.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's a Catch-22 for the Packers, you want as many QB's coming off the board before they pick, but if one slips and he is a guy multiple teams picking behind the Packers want, they have a lot more options than just taking someone they may not have had that high on the board.

I'm optimistic that there will be a top-tier defensive player available for the Packers to select at #14.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm optimistic that there will be a top-tier defensive player available for the Packers to select at #14.

That is definitely the hope and also depends on who the Packers consider "top-tier defensive players". For all we know, they have players like LVE, Vea and Hughes in that group. Have to trust the Packers scouts and FO to sort through that. If that first tier is gone and they find a trade partner, that might be the only round I want to see them trade back in. With 12 picks, they definitely don't need more picks and hopefully will use some of them to work their way up the board in each succeeding round. Besides the Patriots in Round 1, I have my eyes on those 2 early picks Cleveland has in the second round, obtaining one of those could go a long way.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes that Jimmy Johnson Draft trade value chart gets tossed out the window when it comes to QB's or a guy multiple teams want. Now will BB, a guy who tends to trade back to pick up more picks, not follow it? Who knows.

The best trade value chart I’ve seen is the one that showed past trades of draft picks. Gives you a real clear view of reality. I cannot remember where I saw it but I used to have a printed copy of it.

Members online

Latest posts